Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2011, 04:33 PM   #9046
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
Congrats, it looks like a cool bike. Now if they would only do it in an 800 or so.
Why wouldyou want a buzzy torue less engin in an Adventure bike, its's just tiresome.
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #9047
wulfgar
L.E.O.

Oddometer: 304
I heard a lot of the same things when I first bought a new BMW in 1990 or so (much later than many of you). I would be in the shop buying this or that and the old airhead crowd would hang around complaining of parts costs, bike costs, service, weight, and whatever else irritated their sensibilities. I learned a valuable lesson from such people - like what I like, respect what other people like, and let the rest go. If you don't like what Yamaha (or others make), let it go and buy what you like. Quite griping about what others find some satisfaction in with this difficult world.
wulfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #9048
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??

Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfgar View Post
I heard a lot of the same things when I first bought a new BMW in 1990 or so (much later than many of you). I would be in the shop buying this or that and the old airhead crowd would hang around complaining of parts costs, bike costs, service, weight, and whatever else irritated their sensibilities. I learned a valuable lesson from such people - like what I like, respect what other people like, and let the rest go. If you don't like what Yamaha (or others make), let it go and buy what you like. Quite griping about what others find some satisfaction in with this difficult world.
OMG.........+1

It amazes me how much hate there is in the bike world, let alone the entire world. Each bike has its own beauty yet it seems we forget so quickly about that as if we have something to prove!! In the end it doesn't really matter. For me having a large varity of bikes outweighs the need to find the best bike! Afterall, every bike has it's compromises. I for one hope the S-10 does really well because I would love to own the baby XT660Z Tenere and hope to god Yamaha brings the damn thing to the USA. .

Competition is a great thing for this market so stop the low browing and start appreciating all the great bikes out there including the S-10!!!
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #9049
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Hey Dude, I must have missed you by less than an hour at D & H. They had me out of there around noon, but since I was traveling on east coast time, I wanted to be on the road as soon as I could. What color did you get? I didn't see yours but guess they had it somewhere out of sight.

doctorj
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:43 PM   #9050
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcfly View Post
OMG.........+1
For me having a large varity of bikes outweighs the need to find the best bike! Afterall, every bike has it's compromises!
Totally Agree. And if each bike is given a fair go and merit where it is due, I hope to have more choice in the future.

The "adventure Touring" market was a bit of a "you will like this one or piss off" segment until recently.

It looks like I will have more and more chance of finding something that suits my needs and budget more precisely in the future, and that for me is a great thing

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #9051
combo
D S N

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Totally Agree. And if each bike is given a fair go and merit where it is due, I hope to have more choice in the future.

The "adventure Touring" market was a bit of a "you will like this one or piss off" segment until recently.

It looks like I will have more and more chance of finding something that suits my needs and budget more precisely in the future, and that for me is a great thing
I can't agree more Graham. The adventure market is getting larger day by day and this is good for all of us.

I don't care to ride Harley style bikes but a lot of folks do and I think that's cool because they like to ride two wheels just like me. Any ride on two wheels is an adventure in my book.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #9052
JdFan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
Quote:

Each bike has its own beauty yet it seems we forget so quickly about that as if we have something to prove!! In the end it doesn't really matter.

Competition is a great thing for this market so stop the low browing and start appreciating all the great bikes out there including the S-10!!!
Agreed!!! I looked at both the ST and KTM 990, I went for the 990 based on my wants, the ST is a hell of a bike and I'd be proud to own one. It's awesome to see all the Adventure riders come out of the woodwork, now go ride and let's take back the forest from the yogurt eating tree huggers. Tread lightly of course.
2005 ST 1300-sold
2010 900 Adv. 990 S (All Mine)
JdFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #9053
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

I agree with all points made so far with one additional plus. In the country I live in (Japan). It's a rare event to see somebody riding an XT660Z, AT, Veestrom and even somewhat rare to see a GS over here. I'm thinking the bike will be a conversation piece most everywhere I go.

In the super tight, fairly bumpy twisties I ride in, it's always a hoot to see say 'busa riders' jaw drop when he can't shake my little 300cc dual sport. Imagine seeing a beast like the S10 in your mirrors! I will be checking that out first hand before this month is over....got to get the painful process of break-in out of the way though.

tremor38 screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 12:45 AM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 03:53 AM   #9054
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I learned a valuable lesson from such people - like what I like, respect what other people like, and let the rest go. If you don't like what Yamaha (or others make), let it go and buy what you like. Quite griping about what others find some satisfaction in with this difficult world.
+1

Two "but"s though.

This world ain't that difficult if you look at how many people are able to complain about their BMW's, if it were a difficult world they wouldn't have the money to pay the plethora of repairbills let alone the bike in the first place :-)

Second, i find it very usefull if technical shortcoming get posted, so the owner has some argument at the dealers who have their standerd disclaimer ready at every technical breakdown "Oh really, thats the first time we hear of this..."
Old 08-12-2011, 03:56 AM   #9055
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdFan View Post
now go ride and let's take back the forest from the yogurt eating tree huggers. Tread lightly of course.
EHm, let not personal grudges ruin the peace and quiet of Mr. and Mrs. Badger, keep to the Tracks, don't go treehugging, small rodents get heart attacks trying to flee an incoming 50kph missile...
Old 08-12-2011, 04:12 AM   #9056
wulfgar
L.E.O.

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpower View Post
Hey Dude, I must have missed you by less than an hour at D & H. They had me out of there around noon, but since I was traveling on east coast time, I wanted to be on the road as soon as I could. What color did you get? I didn't see yours but guess they had it somewhere out of sight.

doctorj
You did - I was trying to get there earlier but stopped to buy my wife lunch on the way. Figured I needed to do something for her since I was getting a new bike

I got a blue beauty - had it siting in the middle of the shop when I pulled up. Gerald told me you were ready to head out being on Eastern time and what not. I look forward to actually meeting some time soon - maybe an S10 get- together sown the road?

Ride safe.

wulfgar screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 04:24 AM Reason: Misspelled words
wulfgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:07 AM   #9057
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
I didn't know you drank the coolaid.

Congrats, it looks like a cool bike. Now if they would only do it in an 800 or so.

Thanks man...how you doin' brudder?

Yeah, I piled miles on the DL that year I was commutin' to the Cav....and so...time for a change.

As far as size, definitely, the WR will be a continued stablemate, no doubt. But I took it through some paces today on the way home and it's what they say--balanced...800 would be what I'd be pining for I think if I could only have one.

Rode it a good 120 miles last night of highway, I don't notice any buzz (but then I'm coming from 9 months of virtually all thumper)....

Last night was an express train...GD thing is ferocious. Coming from a DL650, and a nice stint with a 955i Tiger. Both very different, the Tiger definitely a different kind of "oh shiiiit" on tap.But the S10 different...but, I know what makes it wet now....
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #9058
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfan View Post
it's awesome to see all the adventure riders come out of the woodwork, now go ride and let's take back the forest from the yogurt eating tree huggers. Tread lightly of course.
+1
Old 08-12-2011, 11:26 AM   #9059
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,527
660 tenere to the USA!
i too am waiting for that day.
a wr250r, 660 tenere & S10 would be the perfect trifecta.

Quote:
OMG.........+1

It amazes me how much hate there is in the bike world, let alone the entire world. Each bike has its own beauty yet it seems we forget so quickly about that as if we have something to prove!! In the end it doesn't really matter. For me having a large varity of bikes outweighs the need to find the best bike! Afterall, every bike has it's compromises. I for one hope the S-10 does really well because I would love to own the baby XT660Z Tenere and hope to god Yamaha brings the damn thing to the USA. .

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #9060
Night Falcon
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,601
Quote:
insecurity is a cruel master....evil communications corrupt good manners..its hard to be optomistic when ya got a misty optic.....beneath the paint motorcycles are all the same...much like the people that ride them KTM's are cool though
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote