Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #9076
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Did they test the waspworks catback?? hmmm?
Nope, thats no slip-on
Its very surprising to see how optimal the standard shitesteel lunchbox actually is at 4500 it beats the Akra, only from about 5000 tpm there is some gain +2hp at 5800, but the akra peaks 105 at 7300 where the Lunchbox peaks 106 at 7400.

SR loses alaso 1 HP but at 7400, so actually is even besting the Akra at top, but the gain at usable RPM is really impressive, whera all other pipes have a slicht loss at 3750-4500, it grows from 3200 to 4250, the only flattens for 250, and starts to grow fatter 4500-5800.

Never before i've seen such a realy useful straightening of a Torque curve without PCV tuning, they really must have done massive testing of have a shitload of in-house luck :-)
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 AM   #9077
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
Nope, thats no slip-on
Its very surprising to see how optimal the standard shitesteel lunchbox actually is at 4500 it beats the Akra, only from about 5000 tpm there is some gain +2hp at 5800, but the akra peaks 105 at 7300 where the Lunchbox peaks 106 at 7400.

SR loses alaso 1 HP but at 7400, so actually is even besting the Akra at top, but the gain at usable RPM is really impressive, whera all other pipes have a slicht loss at 3750-4500, it grows from 3200 to 4250, the only flattens for 250, and starts to grow fatter 4500-5800.

Never before i've seen such a realy useful straightening of a Torque curve without PCV tuning, they really must have done massive testing of have a shitload of in-house luck :-)
I'm assuming the black line is the OTR-SR exhaust system? Do you perhaps know what exhausts the other lines are? Which is the Yamaha stock exhaust?
Attached Images

Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 08:40 AM   #9078
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

I would not know because this is i i look at it just 2 exhausts one being run tree times, so not the das Motorrad test during the long term test (36000 of 50000 done) where teh Leo has same top, Akra and Sr lose 1 hp and Sebring loses a whopping 10 hp (and lots of torque too...)

In your graph i suspect the blue line would be the SR, because of the weird dip in the green and black which are more consistent with the Akra.

In the das Motorrad graph of the SR slip on, its a bit like blue/SR and red/standard, but then red tops all but the Leo, which both have 106hp as top
Old 08-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #9079
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
Quote:
Nope, thats no slip-on

isn't that true for most any aftermarket pipe?
it can make less on the low end and you pick up a few hp at the very high end. i think most buy a pipe to brag to their friends and to make more noise.

as for the performance of the stock pipe, yes the mfg have gotten really good these days of producing a great performing pipe that meets all the regulations. looks & size, of course, might be questionable
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350

eakins screwed with this post 08-15-2011 at 10:11 AM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #9080
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,446
The looks of the stock can are my only issue. I've tried taking the pegs and heatshield off and it looks odd. The look of the Akrapovic on the WorldCrosser concept looks great.
Paulvt1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #9081
SpeedStar
XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul thompson View Post
The looks of the stock can are my only issue. I've tried taking the pegs and heatshield off and it looks odd. The look of the Akrapovic on the WorldCrosser concept looks great.

This helps the looks a little IMO to cover the giant silver shield.

Or, you could go this route.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356383
SpeedStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:16 PM   #9082
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
isn't that true for most any aftermarket pipe?
Yes, but a lot of people think they gain a lot of power, and don't believe me if i say it's just the Sound giving de delusion of extra speed, so its handy to have some proof on the bike they ride...

But the SR graph was really surprising, but then again SR is Bavarian, and German mags are "a wee bit" biased on homegrown kohle und stahl, so i hope a English mag does a comprehensive test too...

Quote:
as for the performance of the stock pipe, yes the mfg have gotten really good these days of producing a great performing pipe that meets all the regulations. looks & size, of course, might be questionable
Not to speak about the 1976er XT reminiscent "pisbakkenstaal" (publicloo-steel?) because mine allready had some real nasty rustbite, it should have been galvanic treated at the least, my R11 RVS rattled in two several times, so mild steelis a better choice impactwise, but it should not rust as easy. (to the XT's defence it was a very cruel winter the Road Salt even ran out this year...)
Old 08-16-2011, 07:48 AM   #9083
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,921
Quote:
i think most buy a pipe to brag to their friends and to make more noise.
unless you ride a KTM 990 and want to lower the ass temperature of you and your passengers by say 1,000 degrees and tsp burning your hands every time you get near the stock pipe

Mt first bike I ever put aftermarketipes on (Staintunes) they seem ok and ass to bike ratio is cooler and less hand burny burny, however it is still not the religious experience as many after market pipes affinados describe

I bought staintunes because they don't need repacking
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #9084
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,216
i had staintunes with my 650 strom. previuos owner put it on. yes those are very well build pipes. i'm sure they'll have a s10 pipe soon enough.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 AM   #9085
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Offtopic, but where's that road it looks like your riding in the Sierra Nevada Spin, but the roadmarkings say USA :-)
Quote:
Old 08-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #9086
Steve in ATL
How ya like me now?

Oddometer: 960
Since we're posting pretty pictures of lines on charts, can someone explain this one to me? And what it all means?

"The point of the journey is not to arrive - Anything can Happen!"
Steve in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #9087
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
Since we're posting pretty pictures of lines on charts, can someone explain this one to me? And what it all means?

Thats with TCS on, their own last (nr.17) auspuff empphelung, has no such dip visible, what they have done to present such a weird curve i don't know, non of the other graphs i have show such a dip
(well, the ones of R12GS i have do show it like that)
Old 08-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #9088
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Thats with TCS on, their own last (nr.17) auspuff empphelung, has no such dip visible, what they have done to present such a weird curve i don't know, non of the other graphs i have show such a dip
(well, the ones of R12GS i have do show it like that)
The red line (3rd gear and lower) is exactly what I feel on my bike - power comes in strongly at around 5000rpm - will try with TCS off and see if that results in a smoother response
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 AM   #9089
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Just a wild guess:
Perhaps Gang 3 is 3rd gear, and Gang 4 is 4th gear?
And dip in curve is because of Yamaha's concept of safety?
Are the first 3 gears power restricted?
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:51 AM   #9090
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by coast range rider View Post
Just a wild guess:
Perhaps Gang 3 is 3rd gear, and Gang 4 is 4th gear?
And dip in curve is because of Yamaha's concept of safety?
Are the first 3 gears power restricted?
Of course, what use does a spinning wheel have, a gear is a reduction, so if you have 100+nm in 5th, it wil be amplified according the reduction, switch TCS to off, and put sportsmode on, and your wheel will go sideways if you gas it with 106nm cranktorque.

In touring mode the lower gears are restrikted to about 50 in 1rst to 75 in 4th only 5th and 6th have 106hp in T, and the throtlle is cointrolled in a nice logarithmic manner so the pillion isn't aware of the still blistering acceleration, compared to almost any cruiser or tourer.