Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 02:30 AM   #9166
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Since the manunal (and tank sticker) recommends premium fuel for the this bike, did you have any issues with the fuels available in some parts of Africa ?

Always good to have someone around with who's ridden the Tenere in those types of places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKoffroader View Post
I'm in Alaska so knew to expect it a little later then the rest of you. It felt like "Old Home Week" when I pulled out of the Yamaha dealer's parking lot this afternoon.

I spent almost six weeks and 11,300 km on one of these riding across Africa this spring. Fell in love with it and had to have one. Good to be back on this great bike!

Greg

tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 02:31 AM   #9167
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapi View Post
Twisties - sport mode - to lean or not to lean . . . I'll decide when I get to the sharp ones. Meanwhile, “am I really going 50 mph. Feels like 17.

Ok the cars around must be going the same speed that that typically drive btu this feels like 17mph. Does the speedo say 50 but mean 35mph?” ...

So it says 60 I must be doing 55mph. Put the phone away and ride . . oK . . hey wait . . .I just passed all the curves that I ride on my Vstrom”

I always dare my self to stay at 45 but typically slow to 35 for certain curves-I know the VStrom can do it but I just never felt, well, confident. . But here it is, 45-55mph on the Super Tenere and the Super Tenere was tracking and keeping my line like a laser. “OK, this is not like my Vstrom.”
Yup its dangerously smooth and controlled, and that makes it desceptivly slow feeling, like any real fast aparatus, whatch out, tickets clingon to it fast if you not watch over your speed :-)

Quote:
Still couldn't figure out what the proper running RPMs were, engine was unfamiliar sounding, seemed like I had to shift through the gears quicker than on my Vstrom but of course I was going faster per gear, it just didn't feel like it.
Well thats a bit of running in the mill, at about 5000 to 7500 miles its loosened up enough to let the Revs drop, and ride in 5th on smaller roads, or 6th on nationals (?), you only have to downshift in the hairpins, for the rest, to me thats what's riding a Big Traily is all about, power from the cellar to the attick, and they chose wisely to put the brunt of power on the grond floor/ living level, and not on the 1st or even 2nd floor.

Quote:
This bike is like chocolate, smooth and rich.
It's like a complete Box of Chocolates, choose your liking at the flick of a switch;-)

Very nice write up, especcialy the Mantra of "i forget about it after 10 minutes" is a nice feature :-)

P.S. about the Seat, that is a really small hickup, it is slanted a wee little forward, but if you pull out the rear bumpers under the saddle its slanted the other way, so your not pushed forward by the also desceptably logarithmic braking...
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 03:10 AM   #9168
lewi
dreamer

Oddometer: 181
glad you liked (or is it loved) the testride lapi!
that's the reason i don't want to test it...

later... when money isn't an issue anymore... =)

liked ur write up!
Old 08-23-2011, 03:31 AM   #9169
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 620
Nice RR lapi! Most love the bike after the 1st test ride.

P.S. Have your head checked - that 10 min memory of yours could be a problem ;-)
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 AM   #9170
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
But until SW-M makes this right, steer clear of their crash bars for this bike.
The fit issue has been analyzed and adjustments are being made. Twisted Throttle is the sole importer into the US and Canada. Currently we are out of stock on crash bars for about the next six weeks while a redesign is being addressed. Going forward from this time on - any SW-MOTECH crashbars purchased from Twisted Throttle will be the revised design.

Kev
Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 PM   #9171
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,427
I sure hope those evo-side carriers come in early, got the Trax, but need to get them on the bike.
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:38 PM   #9172
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Since the manunal (and tank sticker) recommends premium fuel for the this bike, did you have any issues with the fuels available in some parts of Africa ?

Always good to have someone around with who's ridden the Tenere in those types of places.
Most parts of Africa (South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Namibia) only offered lead free or leaded. No grade differences. It ran flawless the entire trip.

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 12:42 PM   #9173
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Handle bar set back

I noticed a guy on one of the S Ten threads had some handle bar adapters (in photo) that moved the bars back a bit and up a little. That is the one thing this bike needs for a 5'10" rider. I'm hunched too far forward in the best seating position.

Anyone know the source for these?

Thanks,

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
Old 08-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #9174
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 353
Handlebar risers

Quote:
I noticed a guy on one of the S Ten threads had some handle bar adapters (in photo) that moved the bars back a bit and up a little. That is the one thing this bike needs for a 5'10" rider. I'm hunched too far forward in the best seating position.

Thanks,

Greg
Hi Greg ... I am also 5' 10 and have been using the ROX Risers with dampening ... excellent.
Cheers,
Roberto aka Thagua

Thagua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #9175
twistedthrottle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 746
Quote:

Thanks,

Greg
Twisted Throttle has the SW-MOTECH bar risers:

Old 08-23-2011, 02:16 PM   #9176
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
The fit issue has been analyzed and adjustments are being made. Twisted Throttle is the sole importer into the US and Canada. Currently we are out of stock on crash bars for about the next six weeks while a redesign is being addressed. Going forward from this time on - any SW-MOTECH crashbars purchased from Twisted Throttle will be the revised design.

Kev
Knew you guys would make things right! That's one reason we are repeat customers.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #9177
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedthrottle View Post
Twisted Throttle has the SW-MOTECH bar risers:

Thank you,

I need the bars up and back about an inch. Rox looks like they have some offset blocks and a set that rotates.

AK Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #9178
jgunsett
Goin' Coastal

Oddometer: 506
I got the Rox Risers for $79.99 w/free shipping off of Ebay. They are the one's that raise the bar about 1" and also pull it back towards the rider about 1". I installed them last night and they work great (no issues with tight cables or lines). Sorry, no pics.

"Life's Short - Turn Up the Bass!"
jgunsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:02 PM   #9179
raybies
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Awwww, how cute, y'all finally got your toys

Now get making some cool parts.

PS: Anyone try checking their bike with a geiger counter? I reckon the seat is a prime candidate for storing Caesium-137

raybies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:30 PM   #9180
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Briiliant first ride review Lapi!

While I could never have put it so elegantly, I totally relived my first ride while digesting your version.
In fact, I had to get up outta bed and go look out the window and admire it for a few seconds. (Thanks. wife already thinks I am hopeless )

I just want you to know that the 2nd and 3rd ride is just as remarkable. I quit comparing it to any of the bikes I have. (or have ever had) It simply is too unique. It doesn't actually copy or imitate anything out there. Yea it is inevitably compared to V's and Wee's and GS's and others. And that is fair, I guess. But I think it stands it's own ground and has actually claimed some kind of previuosly unclaimed territory.

Anyways, I already love this bike. You just made me admit it more.