User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 06:27 AM   #9256
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 337
Sans cat exhaust

Just changed the OEM exhaust for the OTR Racing headpipe http://www.off-the-road.de/XT-1200-Z...-XT1200-Z.html and have noticed an increase in power and less fuel comsumption although will have to adjust the mixture to prevent sputtering and the 'ratatatatat' noise ... I'm wondering if the Power Commander V (PCV) (http://www.off-the-road.de/XT-1200-Z...er-Tenere.html) will do the work or I'll have to depend on service at a Yamaha dealer ... Bargenator and Bundu maybe have the clue ... both have helped with other troubles such as the GIPro Gear Indicator ... and have more to come such as making an accelerator pedal instead of the throttle control on the handlebar (I had a severe case of Arthritis Rheumatoidea) which is harming my wrists, and a cargo platform to replace the pillion seat. Will post photos of the installed headpipe which left some purchased protection obsolete (http://www.off-the-road.de/XT-1200-Z...-XT-1200Z.html), so I am on the look for a bash plate with a high side on the right hand side such as the one shown here (http://www.off-the-road.de/XT-1200-Z...er-Tenere.html) ... strangely no photo of the right side ... or I will have to develop a full right hand protection using the fitting points left by the removal of the OEM headpipe.
Cheers,
Roberto aka Thagua

Thagua is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #9257
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Knight Who Nitpicks View Post
the nitpicking about how it's done is irrelevant.
um, that's not what you said. You said only with S could you achieve full power. Simply not so.

Just trying to be accurate.
Old 09-01-2011, 11:48 AM   #9258
A Knight Who Says Ni
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
um, that's not what you said. You said only with S could you achieve full power. Simply not so.

Just trying to nitpick semantics.

yes I mean that only using S can you experience the full power output. I'm talking about feeling power because the gentleman was talking about what the engine felt like on a test ride.

I'm not talking about what a dyno would say if you open the throttle all the way on T or S mode. (And according to you, you would still have to open the throttle wider in T mode to achieve the same power) I don't know or care about that

Anyone who has ridden this bike will tell you that S feels more powerful that T. So no matter how it is done or what the mechanism is, power is more limited on T. (And yes that includes making the throttle less responsive)

You are nitpicking semantics by saying that technically if you simply open the throttle more using T mode, you are getting the same power output.
A Knight Who Says Ni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #9259
coast range rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Full throttle in both modes provides the same power output then.
This is significantly different than not achieving full power unless in s.
I consider this a good clarification, not nitpicking, but I suppose now I'm nitpicking!
Anyway, feels more powerful in s than t, that is simple enough, and widely reported. That makes sense too.
coast range rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:30 PM   #9260
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,273
There were some dyno figures put out last year by a German company who showed that there are actually differences in the power output between S and T. I believe they were posted in this thread but it is too big to look up (I know I tried before).

IIRC it only effects the lower 3 gears but the bike does not produce full power in 1st and 2nd gear in either mode, possibly in third too.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:52 PM   #9261
combo
D S N

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
There were some dyno figures put out last year by a German company who showed that there are actually differences in the power output between S and T. I believe they were posted in this thread but it is too big to look up (I know I tried before).

IIRC it only effects the lower 3 gears but the bike does not produce full power in 1st and 2nd gear in either mode, possibly in third too.
I thought I saw something like that too in a post. I can't find it either and the search doesn't help.
Old 09-02-2011, 05:13 AM   #9262
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Cry Both fork seals weeping...

Whats the deal with fork seals on the Super Tenere.. Any of you long term owners had to replace them yet?
I had my bike over at the dealers workshop for service (trucked it there but definitely did not yank down on the load straps)(and certainly saw no sign of leaking when the bike was taken off the truck), and when I went to pick it up today I find both legs weeping at the seals??? WTF..

Has anyone had to replace their seals yet...?
My bike has done around 14500kms and is 13 months old.
Fork legs are not pitted, bent, or dented and I see no reason why they should be leaking now.

If these seals are only lasting 14,500kms at $200 a set to have them replaced at the dealers, should I expect to spend $1400 on fork seal maint in the first 100k???? I think (and certainly hope) NOT...

Greg.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:26 AM   #9263
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

believe these are the graphs, but they don't discern between 's' and 't' modes

I can't post more than one attachment, so here's the link to German web
http://www.tenere.de/forum/index.php...27584#msg27584

and here is the graph that I have felt from day 1
Attached Images

Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:38 AM   #9264
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Whats the deal with fork seals on the Super Tenere.. Any of you long term owners had to replace them yet?
I had my bike over at the dealers workshop for service (trucked it there but definitely did not yank down on the load straps)(and certainly saw no sign of leaking when the bike was taken off the truck), and when I went to pick it up today I find both legs weeping at the seals??? WTF..

Fork legs are not pitted, bent, or dented and I see no reason why they should be leaking now.

If these seals are only lasting 14,500kms at $200 a set to have them replaced at the dealers, should I expect to spend $1400 on fork seal maint in the first 100k???? I think (and certainly hope) NOT...

Greg.
Fork protectors like the Kriega fork seal might help prevent leaks. There are other brands on the market. This is a little to late to help you now. Sorry.
Old 09-02-2011, 07:16 AM   #9265
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:

Greg - I've been keeping a tally - you are now the 6th case I've heard of. You're in good company, Nick Sanders had the same problem on his Pan Am ride.

I guess the fork legs are not well potected. Look at at the coverage on the the Tiger XC or the F800GS and you'll see there's a big difference.

I put Dirtskins on mine in the first week. Hopefully they will preserve the seals...

I also picked up a couple of Seal Mate tools in case they don't!

dcstrom screwed with this post 09-02-2011 at 07:25 AM
dcstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:24 AM   #9266
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:

Greg.
Nice to hear someone load a bike properly. Used to cringe when we dirt biked a lot with the kids and you'd see people loading their bikes and compressing the forks till they were tight, then watch them bounce out of the field and onto the washboard road. I bet the local shops were kept busy replacing fork seals and those people would be bitching and complaining about the bike.

Compress the forks halfway and use a rubber bungie hook to hook on the strap to keep the strap connected even over bumpy roads. I think what the S10 needs is a pair of these...

Have you tried cleaning gently around the seals with a very thin feeler gauge or 35mm film (who has any film left anymore).
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:42 AM   #9267
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 270
Quote:

Greg.
Mine seemed to be weeping slightly during the running in period but have been dry since, though I'm only at a lowish 2.5K miles . PS KTM WP forks leak at the slightest opportunity and need air bleeds on the top to keep internal pressure down, so it could just be due to being strapped down for a long time forcing the air pressure in the forks to cause a leak.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:45 AM   #9268
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMac View Post
Mine seemed to be weeping slightly during the running in period but have been dry since, though I'm only at a lowish 2.5K miles . PS KTM WP forks leak at the slightest opportunity and need air bleeds on the top to keep internal pressure down, so it could just be due to being strapped down for a long time forcing the air pressure in the forks to cause a leak.
True, our sons KTM needed bleeding after every ride and he used to bleed them after being strapped on the trailer. He installed the little push button bleed nipples. Does the S10 have to be bled?
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #9269
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
I had my bike over at the dealers workshop for service

Greg.
Wasp, what kind of service? You're not at valve-check interval yet... can't think what other service a guy like yerself might be going to the dealer for?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:09 AM   #9270
SpeedStar
XT1200Z and DL650

Oddometer: 528
Greg, I added the Kriega fork seal guards to mine right away to ward off just this issue. I posted a thread on YSTF showing them if you are interested.

Try tucking a sealmate or 35mm film in and see if it just needs to be cleaned.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=356383
SpeedStar is offline   Reply With Quote