Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 08:12 PM   #9691
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Japako, did your bike vibrate like that before you installed the Alt Rider bars? As we mentioned in our recent conversation, both my son and I found that SW-Motech bars on our 08 KLR's induced objectionable vibration to the extent that we both removed them and replaced them with Givi bars and that solved the problem. Just wondering if your bike always vibrated like that, even before the bars. I was wondering since you pointed out that you didn't install the cross bar in front. I wish we had taken the time to swap bikes for a ride last week in AR. I have 4,000 miles on mine and I don't feel any objectionable vibration. I feel twin power pulses and they are much smoother than my 996 Super Hawk, for instance. Feels perfect to me.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #9692
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,049
I just put altrider crash bars on my S10 before my last long ride.
I didn't notice any change. I've always felt it was smooth.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #9693
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I just put altrider crash bars on my S10 before my last long ride.
I didn't notice any change. I've always felt it was smooth.
As I mentioned, Japako left off a coupling piece in frront of his bars and I was wondering if that had anything to do with his problem. If it already vibrated before he put the bars on, then that has nothing to do with it. If it vibrated afterwards, then perhaps that missing coupling piece is involved.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #9694
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
As I mentioned, Japako left off a coupling piece in frront of his bars and I was wondering if that had anything to do with his problem. If it already vibrated before he put the bars on, then that has nothing to do with it. If it vibrated afterwards, then perhaps that missing coupling piece is involved.
I am going to check that when I strip the farkles. I will take off the bars first and see what happens.
Thanks for the heads up..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #9695
RynnStorm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
Was going to the local Yamaha pusher tomorrow to see about buying one of these bikes. Glad I came here and checked reviews first. I like the looks of the Yamaha better than the KTM but I don't want to deal with "bad vibrations".
Weird, I have a Gold Wing and a ST10 (with 1000+ miles) and I sure don't notice any vibration issues (with stock tires). If anything, pretty smooth on the highway.
RynnStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 AM   #9696
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
Was going to the local Yamaha pusher tomorrow to see about buying one of these bikes. Glad I came here and checked reviews first. I like the looks of the Yamaha better than the KTM but I don't want to deal with "bad vibrations".
Well "don't you worry metay" because it has no bad vibrations, just good one's, i've done now almost 30k on it and aspecially upwards from 4000 rpm so high speed cruising on the Highway, you could place a glass of whiskey on it tankstop.

Yes its lively vibey between 2750 and 3250 rpm if you stress it, then it really shows its muscles, but as soon as you lay of the throttle, it calms down, and is smooth as a baby bottum, you only feel a distant hartbeat.

Here you can excactly see where the vibes are coming in when it has to haul the beast on a 9 incline at 6:22 , and the transition from work (=vibes) 7:20 to babybottom at 7:40 where we reach the top and the engine can relax, its then running ~80 km right in the Rumblefish arena...
As you see at 7:40 the small numbers of the LCD are again quite readable, the camera is fixed to the handlebar so "What you see is what you get" in the handlebar vibes :-)

Oh and also look a bit furtheron, there is also such a transition from work to glide 15:50 -> 16:20, now why should you look at that?
Well here it shows not only its a smooth machine motorwise, but here its riding Unpaved, so the Fork and rearspring show how increadibly sensitive the damp away the unevennes of the underground, even Unpaved the LCD clears up nice, showing al the small irregularities of the underground are soaked up in damping oil :-)
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:51 AM   #9697
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
A few questions about your Super 10's, if I may....

How tall are youse guys? Is it a comfortable height? I haven't seen one "in person" yet and I thought I read almost 34 inches seat height.

What's the valve adjustments/type, I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

Has the shaft been determined pretty bulletproof?

Who here has put the most miles on one?

I was thinking about the Wee, but I'm over 200 pounds, and my wife is, let me just say, not a small woman and my last bike was a GS850L and I am concerned with getting a 650 and wanting more in just a few days.

It sure is a looker, I gotta say.

Thanks.

Murph.
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #9698
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post

Murph.
Nick Sanders 80,000+ Km. No probs. Part of that was the Double Pan American world record.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:40 AM   #9699
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 612
Comfort seating cushions

have any of you guys bought one of these comfort seating cushions for the S10?
I'm looking at the Airhawk, but not sure which size/model works best on the S10...
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:55 AM   #9700
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
How tall are youse guys? Is it a comfortable height? I haven't seen one "in person" yet and I thought I read almost 34 inches seat height.
The shaftdrive has been bulletproof since one Ferdinand Porsche designed it for the XS750 Triple in i believe 1978 (?)
Its been proven on the XV1200 "Goldwing", the V-Max, so it wont have any probs with the relative weak engin of the S10 :-)
Its 60 cm's i think the longest shaft on any bike, which is a enormous relaxing thought, because that means the cardanic coupling has from out to completely bottemed out, a very small angle travel, anyone with a GS which has been ridden hard with luggage off-road can tell you how desastrous it can be to have a to big angle travel on the coupling, ive used up three my girl 2 on our GSses...

Valve are schim under cup, so no adjustment in a very long time because of no wear...

And i'm 97 kilo's my girl 65 and with all luggage for a Trip, it just dont care :-)

And the brilliant balance makes it very easy for her to make a U-Turn, something she has low self-esteem about, she's only 1,69 with "Spanish Legs"
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #9701
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
have any of you guys bought one of these comfort seating cushions for the S10?
I'm looking at the Airhawk, but not sure which size/model works best on the S10...
I'm a big fan of AirHawks, Used them for many years and several of my riding friends
have converted to using them too.

The one on my S10 is 13 inches long and about 15 inches wide.
I also have the passenger one that is 11X14.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 AM   #9702
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
A few questions about your Super 10's, if I may....

I was thinking about the Wee, but I'm over 200 pounds, and my wife is, let me just say, not a small woman and my last bike was a GS850L and I am concerned with getting a 650 and wanting more in just a few days.

It sure is a looker, I gotta say.

Thanks.

Murph.
I'm 5'11" about 215lbs. 32 inch inseam. I will say it's a little awkward for me to throw my leg over the seat.
Once on the bike I'm fine. I run the seat in the lower position with an AirHawk seat pad.
Can flat foot at stops.

I don't have a Wee but I do have SV 650s. Similar motor performance. If I double up
with my wife who is small it's cramped. I had a DL 1000. She like the passenger area
over my FJR. I'd lean towards the S10 if you are going to double up much.
Honestly, I'd just buy the S10 either way. It's pretty versitile and you won't grow out of it.

As far as the shaft, I've owned several Yamaha shaft drives. XS750, XS1100, Virago, V Star 1100
Two FJRs. The only issue I've ever had was a oil seal leaked on my 03 FJR. Yamaha covered it
and nothing since.

pluric screwed with this post 10-12-2011 at 06:45 AM
Old 10-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #9703
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,760
Murphy's Inquiries...

Quote:
I'm 5' 7", with a 29" inseam, and I don't have a problem with the bike. It's a bit of a chore mounting or dismounting when I have a fully loaded seat pack, rack bag, and tank bag onboard, but that's to be expected. I run the standard seat in the low position for the most part, and on long trips I use a sheepskin seat pad.

Quote:
As has been mentioned, the valve adjustment type is shim-under-bucket, just like an FJR, R-1, etc., and has a recommended adjustment interval of every 24,000 miles or so.

Quote:
Yes, absolutely.

Quote:
As for actual posters here, most likely some of the Australian and South African guys, as I think the bike has been available to them the longest. I've had mine since August 3rd and I've nearly 4,500 miles on it so far. Other than one burned out headlamp bulb no problems of any kind.

Hope these answers help!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:05 AM   #9704
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
There is a S10 for sale in the Flea Market right now. It only took 212 miles of riding for the bike to go up for sale
If anyone is looking for a very low mileage S10, there is second one for sale in the Flea Market now. This one only has 900 miles on it.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:23 AM   #9705
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick West View Post
If anyone is looking for a very low mileage S10, there is second one for sale in the Flea Market now. This one only has 900 miles on it.
A couple in the Utah area too.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...=&search=super tenere

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...0&search=super tenere