Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #9856
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 753
The compressor for the 270* Twin is an Iwata. Ironic that the Super Tenere engine is built in Iwata Japan.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:02 PM   #9857
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
The compressor for the 270* Twin is an Iwata. Ironic that the Super Tenere engine is built in Iwata Japan.

I must have missed something.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #9858
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadRider View Post
Guys...you really look like girls with PMS or somebody who hasn't got laid for a year...

Please get a life, enjoy your bikes (any brand) and let this thread be a source of info about the XT1200Z...

Som good sentence to think about

1.- Live and let live....
2.- Who is more dumb, the dumb or the one who answer
3.- Relax and enjoy

JC
who appointed you thread pyschologist/counsellor ....... how did you come back from being dead
Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #9859
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
who appointed you thread pyschologist/counsellor ....... how did you come back from being dead
Who has appointed you thread polluter?

If you don't like the XT1200Z, why do you even bother with this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

I must have missed something.
Well someone actually read my post and saw the humour in it hidden in the first moments of the Lego demo, which so beautifull show the Thrust output in the form of agitated fotons :-)
Rema in Paluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #9860
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
Who has appointed you thread polluter?

If you don't like the XT1200Z, why do you even bother with this thread?

Well someone actually read my post and saw the humour in it hidden in the first moments of the Lego demo, which so beautifull show the Thrust output in the form of agitated fotons :-)
Insomnia?
Old 10-18-2011, 07:15 PM   #9861
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,748
Large Space!

If Yamaha would have moved the windshield back 6 inches it would have eliminated a lot of the buffeting.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #9862
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
If Yamaha would have moved the windshield back 6 inches it would have eliminated a lot of the buffeting.
I gotta California Scientific windshield and eliminated darn near all of it (buffeting). Windshield's fine where it is. Ever get thrown forward & hit the handlebars? My view only.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:22 PM   #9863
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Well, for some reason, I think form wins out on function a bit with ADV bikes. Anyway it's a bit DAKAR'ish to do that so that is what the design team probably got told, In designer language of course.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #9864
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUBRIT View Post
Got real tired sifting through the crap for useful information. I would like to see pictures of the tricked out Bikes, discussions on what works and what does not work. Just picked up my Raven and am waiting for a bunch of accessories to arrive. Those accessories were spec'd early on before all the ST threads turned into bashing threads. I appreciate all the info I picked up from Supa10, Old Git Ray, and the like who provide usefull and non biased information. It helped me make an informative decision to get this bike compared to another (shall remain nameless to avoid potential bashing). Now to the discussion.....anyone come up with anything to fill in part of the big hole in front of the bars? Seems there should be something there like a dash for switches etc.
here's what a member on the supertenere forum did, no flat screen tv

Old 10-18-2011, 07:43 PM   #9865
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
Is Yamaha using different sensors? It is a totally different ABS system than the others on the market with the "off switch"? Is it the ABS combined with the UBS? (not that it should matter much actually, the UBS just works both brakes together, another fantastic quality of the S10)

Has anyone actually figured it out besides the old "the ABS just magically works" and that is all there is to it?
Yes, it was my biggest doubt about it, having had several Beemrs with their "only works on clean dry ripple free tarmac", so the first thing i tested was if it worked on front of a rippled traffic light stop, and it wasn't acting at all it seemed, just decelerating.

De big difference is the pump being able to really fast modulate, instead of the simple on-off digital style of our Beemer, but the biggest difference is the lack of the anti-stoppie "Logic", which renders the other ABS disfunctional if the backwheel stammers on rippled asfalt or in offroad.

Most other ABS just do a differential equasion, where the Yamaha has a fast enough processor to do some more arithmatic so they actually calculate the decelleration from *one* wheel with the magnetic rings inducing active signals giving the processor strong and dependable pulses, so if you decellerate one wheel to abruptly,it still has enough processor power to keep the other wheel braking.

I'm an old school 4 Stroke crosser, where you just rammed down through the gears to brake the rear wheel, so instead of a possible skid, your wheel just rotates much slower, if you ride like that on an BMW, you actually loose yor front brake, because the rotational difference is interpretated as a Stoppie,and some real clever BMW engineer has built in a system that releases the front brake thinking the rear wheel must be lifted from the tarmac.

The S10 luckily have just built a bike that has a reallow COG so its not as stoppie prone as a GS, which you actually can trigger quite easily into a stoppie, if you know how stupidly simple their anti-stoppie "logic" is, just keep your foot of the rear brake pull in the clutch, and then hit the front lever.

And of course they tested there software for a whole year, instead of let the riders do the beta testing...
(seen no software update at all, now at 29k thats a real comforting thought, our R12GS sometimes ran worse after a SU

Actually the best brake to use in emergencies, the rear will only induce fishtailing and loss of stability if locked, better keep that rear gyroscopespinning...
Old 10-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #9866
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,811
Quote:
That's really cool actually, great idea.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #9867
stevepsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Quote:

That's mine!

Held up just fine on my double black diamond off-road excursion in the Colorado Rockies last month.

-steve
Old 10-19-2011, 03:57 AM   #9868
Rema in Paluda
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I believe Rema came up with something for that - why don't you ask him?

Seriously - Rema, no need to respond to this...
Why not, i've got a lot of usefull solutions for this bike, its not my writing thats problematic, just the response on it, but as stated by the TS, lets keep this thread clean of it, so Nuke your comment okay ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Well, for some reason, I think form wins out on function a bit with ADV bikes. Anyway it's a bit DAKAR'ish to do that so that is what the design team probably got told, In designer language of course.
Ever ridden a ADV hard offroad?

I'm very happy they placed it out of teeths way, solved the buffeting with a piece of rubber, first tried it with the Bulderbaffle®,

But that costs a bit of engine cooling setting of the fan in hot weather from about 35 kmh or lower, so looked at the other side, still have to make some bushes to lift the tank a little to get better airflow their, so the engine isn't fed all the warm air from the headers in its airbox.
Its water cooled so no chance of overheating like the second generation Tenere's, but still fresh air is better food for the engine :-)

Rema in Paluda screwed with this post 10-19-2011 at 04:25 AM
Old 10-19-2011, 05:27 AM   #9869
RoteEddie
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rema in Paluda View Post
Yes, it was my biggest doubt about it, having had several Beemrs with their "only works on clean dry ripple free tarmac", so the first thing i tested was if it worked on front of a rippled traffic light stop, and it wasn't acting at all it seemed, just decelerating.

De big difference is the pump being able to really fast modulate, instead of the simple on-off digital style of our Beemer, but the biggest difference is the lack of the anti-stoppie "Logic", which renders the other ABS disfunctional if the backwheel stammers on rippled asfalt or in offroad.

Most other ABS just do a differential equasion, where the Yamaha has a fast enough processor to do some more arithmatic so they actually calculate the decelleration from *one* wheel with the magnetic rings inducing active signals giving the processor strong and dependable pulses, so if you decellerate one wheel to abruptly,it still has enough processor power to keep the other wheel braking.

I'm an old school 4 Stroke crosser, where you just rammed down through the gears to brake the rear wheel, so instead of a possible skid, your wheel just rotates much slower, if you ride like that on an BMW, you actually loose yor front brake, because the rotational difference is interpretated as a Stoppie,and some real clever BMW engineer has built in a system that releases the front brake thinking the rear wheel must be lifted from the tarmac.

The S10 luckily have just built a bike that has a reallow COG so its not as stoppie prone as a GS, which you actually can trigger quite easily into a stoppie, if you know how stupidly simple their anti-stoppie "logic" is, just keep your foot of the rear brake pull in the clutch, and then hit the front lever.

And of course they tested there software for a whole year, instead of let the riders do the beta testing...
(seen no software update at all, now at 29k thats a real comforting thought, our R12GS sometimes ran worse after a SU

Actually the best brake to use in emergencies, the rear will only induce fishtailing and loss of stability if locked, better keep that rear gyroscopespinning...
No doubt the Continental ABS on the S10 is very good, especially on bumps. But the Conti system on the GS beats it on a smooth road and on the test with tarmac - sand -tarmac - sand -tarmac.

The Bosch system on the BMW 1000RR beats the S10 on the bumpy stuff. This should tell you that it is difficult to have a system that is perfect everywhere. To say the BMW has a bad ABS system is simply wrong. To call the GS stoppie prone is just retarded.

Maybe you can back off your continous BMW slaying and concentrate on your S10. That would make you more acceptable to most participants here on the ADV forum
12' KTM 690 Enduro R Evo2
RoteEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #9870
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoteEddie View Post

Maybe you can back off your continous BMW slaying and concentrate on your S10. That would make you more acceptable to most participants here on the ADV forum
I totally agree with you but I think you beating a dead horse

It's too late for him he's like a GS on a downhill, he can't stop
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote