Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2011, 11:34 PM   #10486
hayfarmer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
That was me that stated the S10 at "a bit over 3000 rpm at 100 klm/ hr" . Your right , that is at "speedo" speed , but there is no way in the world it is doing over 3600 revs at 105 ks.
But ,I wonder if there is a slight difference in gearing between the USA and OZ bikes that would give you that figure ?

Brian
hayfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 AM   #10487
GStry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
My upgraded S10 Luggage Rack.
Attached Images

GStry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #10488
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayfarmer View Post
That was me that stated the S10 at "a bit over 3000 rpm at 100 klm/ hr" . Your right , that is at "speedo" speed , but there is no way in the world it is doing over 3600 revs at 105 ks.
But ,I wonder if there is a slight difference in gearing between the USA and OZ bikes that would give you that figure ?
Possibly the gearing is different, but gearing on shaft drive bikes is hellish expensive to change tooling, so I'd be surprised if they have different gears for different markets.

MCN takes some pretty good data and it jives exactly with my experience. At 4K RPM in top gear my S10 indicates right at 78 mph. Back out the 8% optimistic speedo and this is 72 mph. Ratio this back to 65 mph and you get 3611 RPM, essentially the same number as MCN published.

BTW, assuming your "bit over 3K rpm" is actually 3100 and assuming your 100 kph is actually 92.6 kph due to 8% speedo error, the math shows your RPM at a true 65 mph should be 3509 RPM.... close enough for government work.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 12:24 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:15 AM   #10489
GStry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Another pic.
6mm, 6082 Ali with stainless support bracket. Measures 300mm X 220mm across the middle.
Cost is $175 excluding shipping.
Attached Images

GStry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:30 AM   #10490
GarageMonkey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Re: walking speed of S10

Tire circumference between tire brands, even in the same size, can affect this.

Wasp most likely had the knobbies on.

It's my understanding the S10 has been shipped with two different tires as well, Tourance EXPs and another I cannot recall at the moment.
GarageMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:35 AM   #10491
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerenkov View Post
It's my understanding the S10 has been shipped with two different tires as well, Tourance EXPs and another I cannot recall at the moment.
Bridgestone Battle Wings, although I doubt the rolling circumference is enough different to be noticeable compared to the EXPs. My bike started with the EXPs and now as the Battle Wings and I didn't notice any change in RPM vs. speed. And since the bike does not have a gear indicator, I do pay quite a bit of attention to this as a clue to know when I'm in top gear.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 12:44 AM   #10492
AL-58
BMWs make good landfill

Oddometer: 847
As the speedo drive comes from the gearbox changing to a different height tyre will make no difference to the relationship between speedo and tachometer. Real speed would vary though.

I was checking my own bike the other day, 100kmh (on the speedo) was around 3100 on the tach. With the speedo being around 8% out, that would be around 3350 at a real speed of 100kmh, didn't have the GPS on that day though. Currently running a Mitas E-09 140/80 rear tyre and not sure what its done to the speedo at this stage.

Al

AL-58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:27 AM   #10493
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by eemsreno View Post
I sure don't agree that the slow speed is 15 mph. I had my wife on with me and been on steep up hill rocky trails and just let the clutch out slow with no throttle and it will just pull us both smoothly at 8 mph
+1 I can tick along really slow no problems.

I also installed the SpeedDRD and after testing and tuning, it is now set at 6.1%, speedo now indicates slightly more than the GPS at any speed. That is if GPS shows 60mph the speedo now shows 61mph.

I disagree that the difference is 8% as stated by Mark.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:17 AM   #10494
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
I bought a GS12 new. Bought the Tenere later. Would buy the Tenere again. I could afford either , or both if I wanted. Tenere's better all round in my book. hasn't broken yet,unlike the beemer.
Eh, are you interested in adopting me ? I don't eat a lot and would be entertaining to have around. I would ride whatever you bought and didn't want to ride. Please.

doctorj
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #10495
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 447
Giant rider great riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
The rider can make a big difference though.

The way Mark describes it, you would think it was a Harley..

Sorry to blow 20 minutes out of your life but...

On road, The last "section" has a power up mod and a very talented rider.

Again the last section has a bit of ride talent involved. Mark is no where to be seen in this video, but it should give you an idea of where the bikes limits are rather than the riders.

Personally I wouldn't push the bike this hard most of the time, on purpose. But since I don't own one yet, who knows. At the same time, the lighter the bike the easier it will be.
The Guy in the red in part 2 on the white Tenere is a freaking Giant!! The bike looks like a toy he is throwing around. Amazing... Great Vid. This bike can do anything your capable of doing.

Boulder
Old 12-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #10496
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
The Guy in the red in part 2 on the white Tenere is a freaking Giant!! The bike looks like a toy he is throwing around. Amazing... Great Vid. This bike can do anything your capable of doing.

Boulder
It can, and this seems to be the thing these days. Many bikes are capable of doing what most people want. It takes some talent / OR seat time to get to the limits.

The Guy in the Red is Francesco Catanese. He has been given a modified S10 to play with. with new suspension, wheels and push bike brakes. It probably feels like a 250cc to him.

The main thing I am concerned about is what the bike can do when I didn't really mean to go in that deep.

Like when I didn't see that 5 foot drop or wash out, multiple times on a crappy outback road over 300km.

There is no way that I would normally do what a few of those guys are doing, I think. Maybe.

But this is the other point that barely gets mentioned. The less you weigh, the more you will struggle on a bike like this.

Someone who weighs 50Kg and is 5 foot 5" is going to be taking it easier than someone who is 6 foot 5" and 150Kg of solid muscle and fit.

It would be good to see a 400cc twin for the smaller folk.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 03:43 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:05 PM   #10497
Ze_zaskar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Catanese (2m tall) is a good example that rider stature and ability can be related. Too many times you hear or read a guy saying that his GSA/S10 is impossible to ride off road, and then the next guy says the complete oposite.

Maybe people should start to mention their height and build each time they make comments about this bikes off road abilities.
Ze_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 05:09 PM   #10498
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze_zaskar View Post
Catanese (2m tall) is a good example that rider stature and ability can be related. Too many times you hear or read a guy saying that his GSA/S10 is impossible to ride off road, and then the next guy says the complete oposite.

Maybe people should start to mention their height and build each time they make comments about this bikes off road abilities.
Well,I ride the Tenere off road(my previous GS too) but not like that guy a couple posts up. HOT DAMN ! Am livid with envy. I'm 6 ft,185lbs.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #10499
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by GStry View Post
Another pic.
6mm, 6082 Ali with stainless support bracket. Measures 300mm X 220mm across the middle.
Cost is $175 excluding shipping.
Looks good mate,

Sorry I did notice, just didn't respond yet.

So whats the compromises between 6006, 6082 ALI etc etc etc. I've forgotten.

Is 6082 almost as good as unaffordium.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 12-20-2011 at 07:50 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 05:48 AM   #10500
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
But this is the other point that barely gets mentioned. The less you weigh, the more you will struggle on a bike like this.

Someone who weighs 50Kg and is 5 foot 5" is going to be taking it easier than someone who is 6 foot 5" and 150Kg of solid muscle and fit.

It would be good to see a 400cc twin for the smaller folk.
+1, apart from the last bit. I generally feel that motorbikes are made too small. The reason I have for this is that the "big four" Japanese marques' dominance means that their stats are what the industry tend to baseline "a motorcycle" against. The Japanese are, in global terms, small. So too are their bikes. People just think that's normal and okay because of their prevalence. They learn to ride on small bikes and accept it because that is all they know. When people gripe about such and such bike being "too big", I have little sympathy, there are way more small/cramped bikes than very big ones! There honestly isn't a single bike on the market that is tall enough, with enough distance between the seat and the pegs, for my tastes. Given that I am "only" 6'2" and hence hardly into comedy giant territory, I find this quite surprising.

BMWs and Triumphs are generally a bit better in this respect, as they are largely built for European-sized ergonomics. However, in markets where they are trying to compete directly with the Japanese (especially the full-on sportsbikes) they inevitably get "shrunk" to Japanese proportions in order to be competitive, particularly when it comes to racing. The "sportsbikes for the road" like Triumph's T595 and the pre-S1000RR BMWs get seen as soft-options by the motoring press and generally lack the kudos of the more focused sportsbikes. They're consequently seen as less desirable by the public and fewer of them get bought (although those that do buy them tend to love them).

One of the reason I like Adventure bikes is that they've generally got more sensible ergonomics for 6'2" 105KG me. I'm fairly strong, so picking up something like the Super 10 is not really a problem. Handling it on dirt is obviously trickier than a 250 dirtbike, but then, for someone my size the gap in terms of what you I do on them is much narrower than conventional wisdom would dictate.

It always makes me laugh when someone makes an ignorant blanket statement along the lines of, "200kg is too heavy to take offroad, period!" No, it might be too heavy for someone of your stature, who isn't a particularly gifted rider, but as the videos show, they are far from incapable in the right hands.