Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #10501
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,450
Just a little update on my rusted gas tank . . .

When I pulled my tank up to run some wires, I found there was quite a bit of rust right up at the front edge. The bike was brand new at this point and hadn't even been washed yet, so it wasn't due to my negligence.

These pictures were taken after I cleaned off as much loose flaked rust as I could.

Well . . . I finally brought my bike in for the fuel pump o-ring recall and asked them to look at it. They took pictures and sent them to Yamaha.

I got a call today from the dealership asking me to bring my bike back in and leave it with them for a little while so they could do some more investigating and get more pictures to send to Yamaha so they can decide what to do about it. They said since this is a new model, they are going to take this seriously since there could be a problem with the way they are manufactured and make appropriate adjustments on future bikes.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #10502
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Just a little update on my rusted gas tank . . .

When I pulled my tank up to run some wires, I found there was quite a bit of rust right up at the front edge. The bike was brand new at this point and hadn't even been washed yet, so it wasn't due to my negligence.

These pictures were taken after I cleaned off as much loose flaked rust as I could.

Well . . . I finally brought my bike in for the fuel pump o-ring recall and asked them to look at it. They took pictures and sent them to Yamaha.

I got a call today from the dealership asking me to bring my bike back in and leave it with them for a little while so they could do some more investigating and get more pictures to send to Yamaha so they can decide what to do about it. They said since this is a new model, they are going to take this seriously since there could be a problem with the way they are manufactured and make appropriate adjustments on future bikes.

I brought my bike in for the same thing and the tech did not do anything about it. I am going to take it back now that I am not the only one.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:08 PM   #10503
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
+1, apart from the last bit..
I think the incredible shrinking sports bikes is all about short wheelbase and less materials and less weight. The bikes just shrink to get the next 500g out of them for the next model.

Every one knows that 150KW and 120Kg wet is not fast enough.

The 400cc I was mentioning was more about a physically medium / big bike that had less materials and therefore less weight.

Frtinstance. The Gladys is made with 400cc twin variant for Japan, now if the made the whole Strom with lighter engine, lighter frame, lighter wheels, and a bit smaller etc a 50Kg person would have an easier time of it, and would mean that smaller folk could run a twin rather than using thumpers on the slab. Simply for the refinement over long distances.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #10504
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I brought my bike in for the same thing and the tech did not do anything about it. I am going to take it back now that I am not the only one.
This is not a new thing - Rema/R3B mentioned it way back. That was on his euro bike, so it's not just a problem with the US ones. It was kinda forgivable on Remas bike though, if you'd seen the video of him digging the bike out from under 2 feet of snow...

Trevor
Old 12-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #10505
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Another little win for the S10 and rider..

Motomarathon 2011 Winner Shawn Pearsall on an S10. (Raven)

He was only up against Stradas and GS' and Stroms though. Nothing too hard

That was a joke Mark.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/12/prweb9052696.htm

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 12-21-2011, 04:58 PM   #10506
LDRydr
S10 Pilot

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarin calhoun View Post
hay Cal, I feel your pain. My wife rides back roads here the Rockies with me.We had a BMW GS1200. Now the Tenere. We both vastly favor the Tenere. I just asked her about your problem. While we can't know how it effects your wife, my wife's best judgement is the Tenere is the most comfortable of the 2. Part of that ,she thinks ,is the non-slip seat on Tenere. That might help your wife by limiting movement. My wife also says she feels more "safe" on the Tenere than any bike I've had(maybe 15 in all). For 2 up I kept the BMW's suspension full-up tight. Seemed ok. The Tenere seems to have a LOT more range of adjustment to it's suspension . When we 1st rode it I had it's(Tenere) suspension cranked up all the way. BOY! Did that rock us on rocks(we ride some nasty places).I turned it down quite a bit & now it's ok. Maybe turn a Tenere's suspension to it's lightest setting & try it.Might reduce impacts on the back. I assume you talked to a doctor about back braces,etc. Best of luck.
I just forwarded this to my wife, as she's going to love to see this. We haven't had an opportunity for her to ride on the back yet (I've hardly been out myself...damn work) but this sounds encouraging. She did sit on it and also commented on how much she likes the non-slip seat, along with the grab-handles.

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” -- Helen Keller
LDRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #10507
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

I would have no problem sanding it and repainting it myself, but I figured I'd give my dealer a chance to make it right before I did so.

I'll let you know what they say about it after they take another look at it. I might try to drop it off tomorrow.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #10508
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
That little surface rust anything to even think about? Doesn't look like anything to me. I'd just forget about it. Maybe being in Colorado it's different since we're dry. I don't care about a little surface rust hidden under the tank. Sure not going to sand and paint, that's for sure.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:09 PM   #10509
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
That little surface rust anything to even think about? Doesn't look like anything to me. I'd just forget about it. Maybe being in Colorado it's different since we're dry. I don't care about a little surface rust hidden under the tank. Sure not going to sand and paint, that's for sure.
Spray it with Tectyl and fugettaboutit. It's an Adventure bike not a show pony.

[edit] If YAMAHA want to investigate and/or replace it then fine, good on 'em [/edit]

Old 12-22-2011, 02:52 AM   #10510
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
+1, The Japanese are, in global terms, small. So too are their bikes..
You really believe that???? You think that is true with the cars they build? Now I know why they miniturized electronics!!!

Thank god the Europeans didn't build my Walkman!!

Bikes are built the sizes they are for many solid engineering reasons - not because Japanese stature!!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 AM   #10511
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBird View Post
You really believe that???? You think that is true with the cars they build? Now I know why they miniturized electronics!!!

Thank god the Europeans didn't build my Walkman!!

Bikes are built the sizes they are for many solid engineering reasons, using lots of market research from ALL markets for ergonomics - not because Japanese stature!!
Fixed it for you.

We keep forgetting that these are world bikes. They take data from all markets, then skew to use more of what those curves cover for the markets where the most sales will go. These bikes are bigger than what most people in the world would want.

The thing that makes the bikes a bit small for the bigger US, Euro, Aussie, etc guys is that our few markets have more of the physically bigger males.

In terms of world-level ergonomics, the bike's where it needs to be for sales. Any bigger and the makers lose buyers in South America, Indonesia, and all sorts of other lower volume markets that do add up in overall quantity.
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 AM   #10512
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
I didn't get a picture before I cleaned it up. There was significant scaling and flaking. The rust was already eating through the steel and this was when the bike was absolutely brand new. I had just rode it home from the dealership. I cleaned off all the scaling and flaking rust as best I could before that picture was taken. I have no doubt that if left alone, there would have been a rust hole in the gas tank within the first year. If Yamaha won't do anything about it, I'll just sand it and shoot it with some paint. Not a big deal, no, but I'll give them a chance to do something about it before I dig into it deeper myself.

Just thought I'd let everyone else know they might possibly have a leaking tank in the not-so-distant future.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #10513
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I didn't get a picture before I cleaned it up. There was significant scaling and flaking.
I don't get this. How long have YAMAHA been making tanks? Very strange.

On the other hand how long have BMW been making shaft drives?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:51 PM   #10514
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Just heard back from Yamaha. Touch-up paint is as far as they'll go. Oh well, at least I tried.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:50 PM   #10515
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Just heard back from Yamaha. Touch-up paint is as far as they'll go. Oh well, at least I tried.
OK by me - no need for a new tank if a bit of touch-up will fix it. Would be happy enough if Yamaha issued each of us with a little touch-up kit. So far I've had to hang out in the women's cosmetics aisle at Riteaid to find a solution...

http://supertenere1200.com/2011/10/1...ips-paintwork/

Trevor