Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #11236
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 271
Any skidplate or mounts that attach to the sump will need to be weaker than the sump so that it is sacrificied rather than the sump when a rock is hit etc . This might defeat the purpose of the the skidplate/sumpguard or limits its capabilities a touch, but I rather have a bent plate/mount than a hole punched into the sump as some flange is sheared off.
I suspect the Yam plate was meant to do that but they "forgot" about the direction of shear that could be applied via impact on the rear sump mount or just rushed it though as a sparkle farkle and not a proper protection device.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #11237
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMac View Post
Any skidplate or mounts that attach to the sump will need to be weaker than the sump so that it is sacrificied rather than the sump when a rock is hit etc . This might defeat the purpose of the the skidplate/sumpguard or limits its capabilities a touch, but I rather have a bent plate/mount than a hole punched into the sump as some flange is sheared off.
I suspect the Yam plate was meant to do that but they "forgot" about the direction of shear that could be applied via impact on the rear sump mount or just rushed it though as a sparkle farkle and not a proper protection device.
I suspect the latter. Attaching a skid plate to the sump is a no no. F800 owners were going through the agony of holes in their sumps for awhile for that same reason.

tremor38 screwed with this post 02-24-2012 at 01:52 AM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #11238
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by IainMac View Post
Bingo. So yes, the SW Motech bits may be deformed, but that's the whole idea. Better to spread the load and sacrifice specific pieces that can be bent back to shape later. The real issue that all these manufacturers are dealing with is that there is no actual frame piece close enough to move loads around the engine.

REAR RACK
Yes, the posted weight limit for the rear rack is really low. Yamaha has done the same lawyerly move on the FJR and other models, the weight is not restricted only on the Super Tenere. The very first Euro Teneres from 2010 had a slightly different design and the design was made stronger before the 2012 models came to the US. Nearly everybody using the current rack has technically overloaded it - some massively. I've never heard of ANYBODY having a problem since those early Euro bikes.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:06 AM   #11239
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I'm sorry to detract from the skidplate discussion. And, I know this has probably been covered in the 11000+ posts. However...

Did I read the rear rack warning label correctly?...11 pounds (5kg) max?

What gives? Many quality topboxes weigh close to that...

Another Mama Yama liability CYA I'm sure. However, there are much stronger aftermarket racks availabe..Alt Rider being cream of the crop, IMO.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:37 AM   #11240
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 343
Hepco Becker / Krause

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Bingo. So yes, the SW Motech bits may be deformed, but that's the whole idea. Better to spread the load and sacrifice specific pieces that can be bent back to shape later. The real issue that all these manufacturers are dealing with is that there is no actual frame piece close enough to move loads around the engine.

REAR RACK
Yes, the posted weight limit for the rear rack is really low. Yamaha has done the same lawyerly move on the FJR and other models, the weight is not restricted only on the Super Tenere. The very first Euro Teneres from 2010 had a slightly different design and the design was made stronger before the 2012 models came to the US. Nearly everybody using the current rack has technically overloaded it - some massively. I've never heard of ANYBODY having a problem since those early Euro bikes.
This is my modified Hepco Becker / Krause shield to accept the OEM Yamaha engine guards

As you can see, only the front attaches to the engine ... both rear supports are bolted to the frame.

The GIVI rear rack is quite strong but never load the top rear with too much weight

Cheers,
Thagua
Old 02-22-2012, 08:27 AM   #11241
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:

REAR RACK
The rideonadv.com plate attaches to the frame (same spot as the ALTRider crashbars), and uses a sidestand crosspiece. Nothing attached to the engine or sump. Having had "deformation" issues and holed oil pan issues on my 800 GS using a Metal Mule plate, I am very partial to this set up.

Chris
Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 AM   #11242
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,182
Quote:
...REAR RACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Another Mama Yama liability CYA I'm sure. However, there are much stronger aftermarket racks availabe..Alt Rider being cream of the crop, IMO.

I kinda' figured the "underrating" thing. I guess that's the route that everyone is going. It just seemed crazy, to me, that Yami would build this "Hulk" of an adventure bike, and then have a rear rack that was useless.

Hell, I had a Super Enduro, for a bit. The subframe, on those things, is known for possibly being prone to failure. And, even they were rated at ~25 pounds.

Like a lotta' folks, I have been following this bike (S-10), and the related threads, for quite some time. When tremor38 mentioned the AltRider rack, it made me think of something that has been playing on my mind. Despite the fact that the S-10 doesn't share the price of the BMW, the accessories (for it) sure as heck have "Motorrad Accessories" price tags.

Thanks for the replies...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:33 PM   #11243
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugUgly View Post
I'm considering modifying my Sw-motech plate, making the front removable for filter changes. Any thoughts?

I'm thinking if I make a panel that spans the front, it shouldn't lose much strength. Maybe channels on each side, so it drops on from the top and is retained with a bolt on each side.

Crazy?
Not crazy and with decent engineering, I wouldn't think the loss in strength would be a deal breaker, although it will lose strength. I'd recommend the filter removal panel be as small as possible.

It does seem like a hell of a lot of work to save five-minutes once or twice a year though. And are you sure you can drain the oil with the skid plate in place? (I have the SW-Motech but haven't yet changed oil with it on.) My experience with skid plates with oil draining holes is that they work so poorly and make such a mess, you end up taking the plate off anyway.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:05 PM   #11244
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Eek What???

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
It does seem like a hell of a lot of work to save five-minutes once or twice a year though...

Once or twice a year???

You don't ride very much, do you?

I've changed my oil and filter 5 times in 6 months...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #11245
McBoab
Fast side of farty

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
I kinda' figured the "underrating" thing. I guess that's the route that everyone is going. It just seemed crazy, to me, that Yami would build this "Hulk" of an adventure bike, and then have a rear rack that was useless.

Hell, I had a Super Enduro, for a bit. The subframe, on those things, is known for possibly being prone to failure. And, even they were rated at ~25 pounds.

Like a lotta' folks, I have been following this bike (S-10), and the related threads, for quite some time. When tremor38 mentioned the AltRider rack, it made me think of something that has been playing on my mind. Despite the fact that the S-10 doesn't share the price of the BMW, the accessories (for it) sure as heck have "Motorrad Accessories" price tags.

Rack weight rating is probably more to tdo with avoiding averse impact on stability than issues with strength of the subframe or rack mount (exluding the 1st ed racks which were fixed under recall) I have an HB Xplorer topbox and it has a generic (non bike specific) max load of 10Kgs from memory.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:59 AM   #11246
sail2xxs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 125
Quote:

I hear you on the accessories pricing. I wonder how much of that is because of the comparatively small market (small product runs?), and how much is because of the target buyer... If you want to survive as a business, you can only charge what the market will bear.

Chris
Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #11247
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,973
Quote:
I'm sorry to detract from the skidplate discussion. And, I know this has probably been covered in the 11000+ posts. However...

Did I read the rear rack warning label correctly?...11 pounds (5kg) max?

What gives? Many quality topboxes weigh close to that...

I wouldn't worry about it...

Old 02-23-2012, 10:25 AM   #11248
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,746
Hey!

You can make them as heavy as you want!
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #11249
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Rear rack? I've put them on every bike I had(quite a few).Even dirt bikes & loaded them as much as I wanted to(big duffle bag full of camping & fishing gear,often) & never had a problem. Will do(& have done) the same with this Tenere. Works swell.
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #11250
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
I wouldn't worry about it...

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote