Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #11566
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post
I'm not qualified to tell anyone how to set their suspension, but what I can tell you is the brand new suspension is very stiff. I have two S10s. I never touched the suspension setting on my first S10. It has over 9K miles and the suspension feels great. The S10 I purchased last month felt very jarring for the first 800 miles. It's let up a fair amount but is no where near as nice as the 9K mile Tenere. Some where between new and 9K miles the suspension breaks in and becomes excellent, even at my current 1,150 mile the suspension is noticeably better than new. Keep riding, the bike gets better with more miles.
I had heard that the engine gets much better/smoother after around 4k miles. But the springs soften up? Hmmm. Or, is the shock oil wearing out? Maybe a different weight shock oil would help with the damping rates. It made a difference on the old Steamer.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #11567
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
I agree with DirtDad. The bike does get much better with more miles, both motor and suspension related.

I attribute it to a great manufacturing process that builds with very tight tolerances that, with use, develop a very good marriage between their mating surfaces.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?t35qbs
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #11568
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Sounds like I just need to go for some rides; I will.

Great Divide Part 2
Old 03-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #11569
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
So this is what the Italians seem to be up to.

I’ve been invited in a Yamaha test ride in Circuit de Catalunya, near Barcelona. They offer Super Tenere bikes to have a test.
I said to the Yamaha Team a Super T must be tested off road, not in a circuit and they agree, they said next month they are going to launch the Worldcrosser in an off road test and offer me the opportunity to be there… Great!

jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #11570
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Brand new 2012 model Tenere'. Suspension seems rather stiff for any dirt road adventures. I weigh in at about 240 lbs. I tried going off the owner's manual to set the suspension but it is confusing me. Particularly that it refers to settings on the rear preload with markings that I don't see on my bike. Does turning the preload knob clockwise add preload? How would you suggest setting up the suspension for street use with the occasional dirt road thrown in for fun. What about dampening? I do not plan on taking on any serious trail riding, I'll use my DRZ for that.
CBAT,

Do you mean too "stiff" or too "harsh"? This clarifcation may help with fine tuning.

I'm a little lighter in weight but I'm running the following:

Front: preload 5.5, compression 4 clicks out (from max), rebound 4 clicks out.
Rear: preload 2 (one from hard on the scale), rebound 4 clicks out.

I have a tendency to cruise as fast as possible in the dirt and these settings are working ok for now for both dirt and street allthough I may look into a different spring / shock later. Also the settings keep it manageable for any suprises like a g-out or cross grain etc. The bike is very stable. It is soft for 2-Up but my speeds are down in that case so non-issue. If you run max street tire pressures the bike will feel harsh on any washboard that you encounter at slower speeds.

Like others have said it improves with more miles.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:32 PM   #11571
CBAT
occasional wanderer

AlsoRan, The only other bike I've owned similar to this one is a '95 Tiger. Front suspension was very soft; lots of nose dive on the street but absorbed bumps well on dirt. It did not have compression or rebound adjustments. The Tenere has less dive on braking and is how I would describe as jarring on bumps or imperfections in the road surface. That could be the high speed damping Firfight911 was talking about. But off pavement a washboard surface would be very jarring also similar to what I am feeling on the road. The old Steamer would smooth out a higher speed washboard pretty good but a slow bumpy surface was challenging. And I've hit a couple road bumps that my old Harley would have absorbed pretty well that have bounced me off the seat on the S10. My ass actually left the seat as I wasn't expecting that reaction. So, trying to learn this new bike and get a handle on the suspension. I will try some of the suggested settings tomorrow when I get off shift, unless the predicted thunderstorms roll in.

Great Divide Part 2
Old 03-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #11572
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
CBAT,

Do you mean too "stiff" or too "harsh"? This clarifcation may help with fine tuning.

I'm a little lighter in weight but I'm running the following:

Front: preload 5.5, compression 4 clicks out (from max), rebound 4 clicks out.
Rear: preload 2 (one from hard on the scale), rebound 4 clicks out.

I have a tendency to cruise as fast as possible in the dirt and these settings are working ok for now for both dirt and street allthough I may look into a different spring / shock later. Also the settings keep it manageable for any suprises like a g-out or cross grain etc. The bike is very stable. It is soft for 2-Up but my speeds are down in that case so non-issue. If you run max street tire pressures the bike will feel harsh on any washboard that you encounter at slower speeds.

Like others have said it improves with more miles.
How much do you weigh? I'm at 180 lbs and have 5k on the bike. It seems much smoother than when new, but I don't think it is the best it could be..
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #11573
bmac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefight911 View Post
I appreciate and respect your position, however, suspension 101 dictates that you are in no way close to having the correct spring rate for your weight on this bike. I'm going to borrow a great Paul Thede quote and say, "The best you've ridden is the best you know."

I would highly suggest not making any blind statement about buying or not buying any argument about your suspension. First off, I'm not arguing. If you think your suspension is the bee's knees in its stock configuration go right ahead and keep riding it as it is. What I am saying is that to make a comment like you did can only come from a lack of quality information and or knowledge.

Many experts and engineers and true experts of suspension in both application and theory will universally tell you that you are not correct. It would take a 5 minute session to show you hard data with you and your bike that this is the case. Period.

Now, before you or someone else goes off and states that I am, again, wrong, and spout that Yamaha or any other manufacturer would never put a motorcycle on the market in this fashion I would say that you need to understand what they are doing. They are bringing a bike to market without having any knowledge as to who the end user will be. It could be you at 240 lbs. and it could be your neighbor at 150 lbs. manufactures spec bikes based on "normal averages." And this is typically set around a 175 -185 lb rider. How they "compensate" for too little spring for you is by running a set up that has higher compression than ideal and, in the Super Ten, a dual rate fork spring that goes from a very light rate too very high rate (.85 to 1.22). Higher lo and hi speed compression band aids and masks the under sprung condition. For the lighter rider, the front fork spring rides higher and in the lighter spring area (75mm transition point) which better matches their weight but is still masked by a too high lo and hi speed compression damping.

Both rider types tend to feel a harsh rider for a variety of reasons.

As I indicated in my linked threads, I have an extensive background with suspension from professionally racing and from years of doing it. I also state that my years removed from racing has dulled my tuning ability so I went to an "expert" for help. Yup, universally stated that for my 215 lbs. I am UNDER sprung and OVER damped.

But, please, by all means, continue riding your bike as it is, afterall, "The best you've ridden is the best you know." I've ridden the best and I know, as do those in the business of suspension. And, there is no argument in that.
Too funny.

Yamaha rated the bike at 465 pounds. If I read your statement above correctly you have stated that Yamaha has no idea anyone would dream of loading it up to that weight. A few pictures found elsewhere on this forum will quickly show some loaded up Tenere's but your probably right Yamaha does not have a clue. There is no chance someone would bring a passenger along either.

I have ridden countless bikes and have spent enough time on numerous tracks on both motorcycles and cars. When ridden hard a bike as severely undersprung as you suggest could not possibly handle as well as this thing does. My buddy who also has extensive racing and track time had a chance to follow me through the twisties yesterday, He commented on how well planted the bike looked. It felt very good to me as well.

But, alas, this is the internet and you can tell me and the other guys that thought the stock suspension is a little stiff that we are completely nuts and that anything over 215 pounds will need to upgrade the spring. Good to know there is a solution to a problem that does not exist.
bmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #11574
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
.....you can lead a horse to water........

A weight capacity does not mean anything when it comes to spring. This is a number determined through engineering stresses related to the structure of the bike.

Please, go get your bike sprung for that "capacity". You won't be able to move the suspension.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?tccjny
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2012, 06:28 PM   #11575
Dirt_Dad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT View Post
Sounds like I just need to go for some rides; I will.
That will fix everything. Ride more. I find the difference between my 1,100 mile Tenere and my 9,700 mile Tenere to be night and day. I would much rather ride the higher mileage bike. But alas my wife has stolen it from me, it is setup for her now and I'm stuck with the new one. I trust the new bike will also get to the same level of perfection as the one I bought last August. It's just going to take me a few thousand more miles to get there.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
2008 Yamaha WR250R (for sale)
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:53 PM   #11576
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Does your S10 whine?

Hey guys, I hate to interrupt the very good suspension discussion, but I managed (finally) to put a couple hundred more miles on mine today (whopping 400miles total). Had fun in the twisties, and did lots of adjustments to the screen to finally reduce the buffeting enough. Towards the end of the day, I noticed that the bike has a distinct gear whine around 60mph, when on the power. If I let off, it stops, and if I pull the clutch in, it stops. Seems to go away above 75mph. Whether it was me just noticing it, or it was getting louder, I don't know. But it was loud enough that it would get annoying over time.
Haven't seen much about such a thing here before. Anyone hear anything similar in theirs?
The above suspension discussion is very timely. I'll try some of the setup ideas. Thanks for posting those.
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:56 PM   #11577
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,413
This bike has a lot of gear whine, no different than my FJR..
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:37 PM   #11578
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
How much do you weigh? I'm at 180 lbs and have 5k on the bike. It seems much smoother than when new, but I don't think it is the best it could be..
I'm 220 and my bike has 3,800 mi on it. I would probably go a with little softer settings at your weight if your doing similar riding.

One thing that will really help us all is to change the fork and shock oil. The stock oil although is better than in-the-day, is still not like running a good racing oil. You can fine tune things better with a good oil and possibly changing the wt etc., this will make a big difference. I'll probably change mine when I switch the tires soon.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #11579
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

My bike has the gear whine as well. Not too bad...I kind of like it.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:44 PM   #11580
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,006
My bike has just enough whine to be interesting.

In fact the more I ride it the better I like it. It has enough character without feeling like a tractor.

It's subtle and subdued but still there.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote