Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #11956
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
OK, I give up. I've tried a couple different searches of this thread and couldn't find an answer. What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting with your S10? Cycle World has it in the mid 30's which seemed low to me.
Don't go by someone that is testing the bike and obviously keeps the revs high all the time

On my daily rides around the area I have gotten as high as 48mpg, I'm not out as a hooligan but to enjoy the scenery
This includes lots of starts and stops.

On longer trips including some highway if I keep it at 75mph or below I average 42 to 44mpg

On my last trip to Daytona Beach with lots of high speed on the highway, I won't mention how fast, I got it down to 38mpg

I had never been below 40mpg, the reserve indicator started blinking below 200 miles

But I had lots of fun
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #11957
Goldie05
Fast George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glierly View Post
37-38 around town

47-48 highway

Gary
How, you are really being a hooligan around town
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Old 04-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #11958
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,667
I wonder if Cycle World is using California gas? I've always heard the crap they add to get it to burn clean reduces mpg, which may be true as it seems mpg figures on all of my bikes are on the low end.

Sure I like to grab some gas when playing but even when I'm riding like grandma the best I've seen is low 40s. I average about 38 mpg and if I'm really pushing hard around 32 mpg. These are all actual calculations, not the bikes display.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #11959
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicster View Post
OK, I give up. I've tried a couple different searches of this thread and couldn't find an answer. What kind of fuel mileage are you guys getting with your S10? Cycle World has it in the mid 30's which seemed low to me.
Mine is averaging 48.5 mpg by the display over the 800+ miles I've ridden. This includes easy break-in miles and less easy sporting miles. Of course, YMMV
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #11960
Goldie05
Fast George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
I wonder if Cycle World is using California gas? I've always heard the crap they add to get it to burn clean reduces mpg, which may be true as it seems mpg figures on all of my bikes are on the low end.
You have bad gas

I always reset my odometer when I fill up and then at the next fill up I notice how much fuel it takes

The damn indicator starts flashing too early, usually starts flashing while I still have about 1.5 gallons in the tank

I don't know how you guys have such bad averages, my worst was recently on the trip to Daytona where I saw 38mpg
and let me tell you, I did a few miles at around triple digits speeds
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Old 04-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #11961
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,346
i ride pretty aggressivly. in 3200 miles my average is 44mpg
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #11962
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
All the CW tests tend to have very low gas mileage results, probably because the wring the neck of the test bikes very hard.

Lot of data on the S10 forum about gas mileage. Like all gas mileage discussions, there's a tremendous amount of variability and noise, but generally you I think 90% of us get high-30's to mid-40's in a mix of riding, topping out high-40's if you're cruising at steady moderate speeds. (This is US gallons, stock US tune.) In 6.3K miles, I'm averaging 41.8.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #11963
Goldie05
Fast George

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
i ride pretty aggressivly. in 3200 miles my average is 44mpg
Yes you do I can attest to that

My average is between 42 and 45mpg

I was right behind you on 195 the other day, you were carrying some stuff in the back of you Tenere, looked like handle bars

This was just east of Jackson where I live, I was in my Trailblazer truck

Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Old 04-22-2012, 03:35 PM   #11964
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
In my first 2400 miles I have gotten ~37mpg consistently. My LFL start blinking at ~170 miles consistently. I usually stop with ~185 on the trip and put in ~5 gallons consistently.

I ride in Sport all the time. I ride by myself with no luggage.

I do NOT ride on the highway. Pretty much all of my riding is ~30-70 mph on backroads.

ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:44 PM   #11965
Goldie05
Fast George

Quote:
Originally Posted by avc8130 View Post
In my first 2400 miles I have gotten ~37mpg consistently. My LFL start blinking at ~170 miles consistently. I usually stop with ~185 on the trip and put in ~5 gallons consistently.

I do NOT ride on the highway. Pretty much all of my riding is ~30-70 mph on backroads.

ac
Wow, that's pretty bad

I have the full TraX luggage plus the full Altrider complement of protection.
I am not light on the gas either, traffic lights are like drag strips for me and I occasionally feel my boot scrapping

Maybe we should add our weight to the equation, nobody knows how tall we are so weight doesn't mean much, don't be embarrassed

I will start, I'm 155lbs
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Old 04-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #11966
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,990
Quote:

ac
I'm close to that average as well. I've never seen in the 40's for an average.

29 was my lowest average tank.... I don't think this had a thing to do with it.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:41 PM   #11967
avc8130
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
Wow, that's pretty bad

I have the full TraX luggage plus the full Altrider complement of protection.
I am not light on the gas either, traffic lights are like drag strips for me and I occasionally feel my boot scrapping

Maybe we should add our weight to the equation, nobody knows how tall we are so weight doesn't mean much, don't be embarrassed

I will start, I'm 155lbs
250 + gear.

Jackson, NJ...wait for it...Great Adventure? You must be totally sick of that by now. I'm up in North Jersey, Newton to be exact. Go ahead, "that's near Space Farms?"

PS: For what it is worth I pretty much ring this bike out everywhere I go. I came off a Buell 1125CR, so I am "adapting" to having 1/3 less HP.
ac
avc8130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #11968
Tupperware
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
.... I don't think this had a thing to do with it.

You need a faster bike
Old 04-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #11969
Goldie05
Fast George

Quote:
250 + gear.

Jackson, NJ...wait for it...Great Adventure? You must be totally sick of that by now. I'm up in North Jersey, Newton to be exact. Go ahead, "that's near Space Farms?"

PS: For what it is worth I pretty much ring this bike out everywhere I go. I came off a Buell 1125CR, so I am "adapting" to having 1/3 less HP.
ac
Yea

Less HP but I'm sure it pulls harder down low
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #11970
ironbutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by poggy View Post
Guys, you really need to do the HID conversion, it's amazing!
That is the way to go, after my HIDs I totally lost my desire for driving lights.

I used a kit from FutureVision http://www.futurevisionhid.com, it was pretty straight forward and you can remove it all in less then 10 minutes if you ever want to. Installation took a couple of hours but we were dogging it too.

I put in a 35 watt in the left bulb and 50 watt in the right. The S10 has a mirror that flips up and down, so you get a clean cut off for the low beam and you don't have to worry so much about blinding someone like when you put HID blub in a Gold Wing (which also does not really have the correct reflector for it) but I still thought the 35W in the left was a bit more sane for oncoming traffic.

There is only one modification you really need to make to the S10, you have to cut a hole in each of the two screw in plastic bulb access covers. Since I was not sure I was going to like the lights, I purchased a set of the access covers (I can't remember, I think they were $9 each) or in case I want to put the bike back to stock later. I put the ballast, one on each side, along the fairing nose.

They really light up the night, much better then the driving lights on my V-Strom or the HID lights on my Gold Wing (which again, the Wing reflector, like most, does not really work well with HIDs).

The only other decision is if you want to run a relay. I measured the stock bulb draw (55 Watt) vs the HIDs (35 and 50) and the HIDs were were the same drain on start up and then less while running (after start up) so did not bother with relay. A purist may want to use a relay but given my measurements I did not elect to do so this time (I always have in the past as I am usually putting in blubs that draw a LOT more power).

And since the S10 has the reflector, there is not a high and low beam (just a flip of a mirror internally) so when you hit the high beams, there is no warm up time, you just get instant high beams. Nice.

They really light up the night!

The kits I used are (but it is better to ask for Bruno - bruno@futurevisionhid.com):

< http://www.futurevisionhid.com/h7-motorcycle-hid-kit.html>http://www.futurevisionhid.com/h7-mo...e-hid-kit.html

DO NOT use Chrome web browser - does not seem to work on the site

YOU NEED TO HAVE COOKIES ON or the site does not work (you can try it first, you will know right away if it does not work)

DO NOT USE THE DOWN ARROWS, for some reason they don't work on all browsers, click on the actual text

in Kelvin (color) select 4300K

Kit Type: 35W/50W Combo (2 Kits) + USD $101.00

Relay: leave as

CANBus Adapter: leave as

Mike
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote