ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #12316
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,746
Laugh Motorcycles as "investments"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tee Dee Mmm View Post
Amazing how Bean Counters can try to suck the fun even out of the most basic things.

Yeah, like we all ride big adventure bikes like Beemer G/S's and Super Tenere's because it is so fiscally responsible and they are such great long-term investments!

That's like saying you go to a topless bar to help funding for the college educations of young women...

And if I were worried about the whole bang-for-the-buck, lowest cost-of-ownership-over-time horse hockey the *LAST* thing I'd own is a BMW...

BTDT.

Dallara


~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #12317
tvbh40a
PSUViking
 
tvbh40a's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Idaho home of the fiesta bowl champ BSU bronco's
Oddometer: 1,396
Now don't get in a twitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Yeah, like we all ride big adventure bikes like Beemer G/S's and Super Tenere's because it is so fiscally responsible and they are such great long-term investments!

That's like saying you go to a topless bar to help funding for the college educations of young women...

And if I were worried about the whole bang-for-the-buck, lowest cost-of-ownership-over-time horse hockey the *LAST* thing I'd own is a BMW...

BTDT.

Dallara


~
This thread had turned into this costs that much and that costs that much. I am not pointing at what brand or the other. Just pointing out, other than the initial amount spent on either bike in the end it all works out about the same. I too have BTDT. I never ever ever said a Motorcycle was an investment. Maybe an investment in my sanity though.

I work so I can live, I don't live to work.
__________________
"Do today what other's won't, so you can do tomorrow what other's can't." Jody Sears-West Point
“It is not enough to want to make the effort. It’s in the doing, not just the thinking, that we accomplish our goals."
Just tell her my wife said it's OK-Handy
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #12318
20valves
Yamaholic
 
20valves's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Oklahoma
Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
Maybe an investment in my sanity

__________________
'14 500 EXC, '06 R1 LE, '13 FJR, '12 XTZ12, '09 T Max
20valves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #12319
DinX
Adventurer
 
DinX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Heusden-Zolder, Belgium
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Yeah, like we all ride big adventure bikes like Beemer G/S's and Super Tenere's because it is so fiscally responsible and they are such great long-term investments!

~

Here in Belgium, yes. When you use your bike for commuting you can deduct all the costs associated from your taxes for the % of commuting km you do with it
I weven write it off in 3 years. €4000-€5000 tax return every year for my bike alone
DinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:29 AM   #12320
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinX View Post
Here in Belgium, yes. When you use your bike for commuting you can deduct all the costs associated from your taxes for the % of commuting km you do with it
I weven write it off in 3 years. €4000-€5000 tax return every year for my bike alone
That's cool.

Is this a thing to encourage bike riding or is it available for all vehicles?
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #12321
DinX
Adventurer
 
DinX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Heusden-Zolder, Belgium
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
That's cool.

Is this a thing to encourage bike riding or is it available for all vehicles?
To encourage motorcycles for commuting
DinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:37 AM   #12322
Too_Tall
The Belgian
 
Too_Tall's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hasselt, Belgium
Oddometer: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinX View Post
I weven write it off in 3 years. €4000-€5000 tax return every year for my bike alone
How much km's do you do per year? I only do around 10.000 total per year, of which 75% is for work, they didn't want to accept any less then 5 years. Still, I bought so much accessories and clothing this year I also should recieve around 4000€.

"But honey, it's all deductible!"

__________________
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténére

Too_Tall screwed with this post 05-25-2012 at 02:50 AM
Too_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:39 AM   #12323
DinX
Adventurer
 
DinX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Heusden-Zolder, Belgium
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too_Tall View Post
How much km's do you do per year? I only do around 10.000, they didn't want to accept any less then 5 years. Still, I bought so much accessories and clothing this year I also should recieve around 4000€.

"But honey, it's all deductible!"

120km per working day
DinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #12324
Too_Tall
The Belgian
 
Too_Tall's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hasselt, Belgium
Oddometer: 551
Ah that explains the km's
__________________
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténére
Too_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 02:55 AM   #12325
DinX
Adventurer
 
DinX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Heusden-Zolder, Belgium
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too_Tall View Post
Ah that explains the km's
I now have around 14.500km from 1 december till today.
DinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 03:32 AM   #12326
Too_Tall
The Belgian
 
Too_Tall's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hasselt, Belgium
Oddometer: 551
10.000km service done today, oil change + rear tire (went for a BW502, had excellent experience with these in the past)

Saw a brand new Worldcrosser in the workshop, asked about the parts being available serparately and they said "yes, but it's waaaaaaaay too much money!"
__________________
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténére
Too_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #12327
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Sacramento CA
Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Too_Tall View Post
10.000km service done today, oil change + rear tire (went for a BW502, had excellent experience with these in the past)

Saw a brand new Worldcrosser in the workshop, asked about the parts being available serparately and they said "yes, but it's waaaaaaaay too much money!"
I recently had an experience with the BW502. There are at least three of them. H and V speed rated. Word has it that the V rated tire is better for the Tenere. One does not have a load rating letter (A through E). The second one has a load rating letter of E (after the word Radial). The E rated tire got 9,000 miles. The non load rated tire got 5,000 miles.

Might not work for you but Cycle gear has V rated tire for $136.14 (originally $203.xx). Still trying to find out which tire is the E rated tire. Left a voice mail a few minutes ago. Plus 10% discount this weekend only.
__________________
Tim

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:27 PM   #12328
DinX
Adventurer
 
DinX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Heusden-Zolder, Belgium
Oddometer: 97
I've got 14.500km at the moment on my first set of BattleWings now

Excellent tires, but I'm going to try the K60s as my next ones.
DinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #12329
Too_Tall
The Belgian
 
Too_Tall's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Hasselt, Belgium
Oddometer: 551
Thanks for the intel Tomatocity, i'll have a look in the morning! I'm in europe btw, shipping a tire would negate all savings i'm afraid!

Good to hear dinx! 😃
__________________
Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténére
Too_Tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #12330
fredz43
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Illinois- land of straight, flat, boring roads.
Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
I recently had an experience with the BW502. There are at least three of them. H and V speed rated. Word has it that the V rated tire is better for the Tenere. One does not have a load rating letter (A through E). The second one has a load rating letter of E (after the word Radial). The E rated tire got 9,000 miles. The non load rated tire got 5,000 miles.

Might not work for you but Cycle gear has V rated tire for $136.14 (originally $203.xx). Still trying to find out which tire is the E rated tire. Left a voice mail a few minutes ago. Plus 10% discount this weekend only.
I have bought two replacement BW502 Battlewings rears, one from Motorcycle Super Store and one from Chaparral. MC Super store lists 4 different ones and the E was stated as being OEM replacement for the Super Tenere. My recent shipment of a set of OEM BW502's from motorcycle super store was $121.59 for the rear and $97.84 for the front, delivered. That was on April 30. The rear is showing $127.99 today.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Rear-Tire.aspx
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014