User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 12:36 AM   #12361
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,510
Diff problems

G'day All !!! Just want to find out if anybody on here has had any diff problems yet ??? Oil leaks, noise issues ??? I have a problem possibly brewing so not saying too much just yet !!! I do look at this thread from time to time but not enough to see if anybody is having any issues.

Cheers - Brendan
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:39 AM   #12362
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,191
been a couple little oil leaks from seals.

What do you do to that poor thing Brendan?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:44 AM   #12363
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
been a couple little oil leaks from seals.

What do you do to that poor thing Brendan?

Ride like how it should be ridden !!!!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #12364
Dirty bike
Eval Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan J View Post
Ride like how it should be ridden !!!!
With a sidecar attached...

Good luck with the issue, what ever it may be.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #12365
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
With a sidecar attached...

Good luck with the issue, what ever it may be.
Could it be a handling problem? Doesn't want to turn-in???

Seriously, I really dig your rig, nicely done mate!!

Regards, Paul
Old 06-01-2012, 09:09 AM   #12366
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
The only problem I have had so far is with the ABS system, out of all things. I now strongly believe that the reason the ABS works so well on pavement, gravel, dirt and sand is because it is a living organism and not computer controlled.

It's a long story, but let me explain.

Last October I rode across Mexico and 200km from my house the ABS light turned on. The brakes still worked fine for the exception of an obvious ABS alarm.

That persisted from Merida (with a stop in Villa Hermosa) to Mexico City, 1,300km. I was approaching mountains and my thoughts were not good. The last thing I need was my brakes not working at that time, but I had no choice and kept riding. The brakes worked fine but the ABS light stayed on.

Once in Mexico City I was going to take the bike to Yamaha (as the manual strongly suggested I do if the ABS light ever turned on) but the very same morning I turned the bike on to go to Yamaha the light turned off and stayed off for the duration of the trip.

Once back home I took the bike to Yamaha, they inspected the ABS system, electrical system etc and found nothing wrong.

Fast forward to last month. On my ride to Chiapas the same thing happened. Around the same area, about 200km from my house the ABS light turned on.

The brakes still worked but the light stayed on. On this particular ride you are riding on mountain ranges, ABS are very nice on steep declines on a 300kg+ loaded bike. The brakes worked, but they felt like "normal disc brakes", this time the ABS system was obviously off and the brakes no longer felt unified (UBS was also off, not nice when you are used to it).

I managed just fine without ABS/UBS. I rode on a combination of pavement, gravel, mud for a week but the bike felt much, much different I can assure you. All of a sudden I enjoyed having riding skills, something the S10 is very forgiving with.

The only "problem" I had was coming back down from 10,000ft on a very steep decline, in rain, when a truck cut me off and then suddenly stopped in front of me. Usually the ABS/UBS brakes would have managed the sudden stop on wet roads, but this time I only had disc brakes.

The big fully loaded S10 skidded sideways, I caught the skid and re-balanced coming to a full stop .5" from the truck's bumper. I will say that not having ABS on such a heavy bike, on wet roads, in an emergency stop is no fun.

The ABS light stayed on all the way back home, and the ABS system was off the whole way back (total off time approximately 2,500km).

The day after I returned home I rode the bike to Yamaha with the ABS light on and pulled into the garage. The mechanic comes over and I explain the problem. He was familiar with it from last year. I turned the bike on to show him the ABS light and the light was OFF!

They re-check the ABS system, drained the lines, re-checked the electrical etc etc etc and did not find a problem with the ABS/UBS.

As of today the ABS light is still off and the ABS/UBS system works perfectly again.

I am not sure what is going on. I am hoping to catch the problem again in order to take the bike to Yamaha with the ABS light on. The only way they can plug in their computer to read the problem is with the ABS light on.

Unfortunately as soon as I take my bike to the Doctor it feels just fine.

As a side note, there was much talk in the past about turning off the ABS in gravel, dirt, mud etc. I can now attest that the S10 manages much better with the ABS on than if it is turned off. Will I ever wonder if turning off the ABS would make the bike "feel better" off pavement? No, I can assure you it doesn't.

Even though the ABS/UBS was off it was nice to still have brakes that worked. They did not work perfectly, but as perfectly as non-UBS work. I will give a big up to Yamaha for that.

If you guys have any ideas please let me know, over here we are stumped to what it could be.......

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #12367
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
The only problem I have had so far is with the ABS system, out of all things. I now strongly believe that the reason the ABS works so well on pavement, gravel, dirt and sand is because it is a living organism and not computer controlled.

Last October I rode across Mexico and 200km from my house the ABS light turned on. The brakes still worked fine for the exception of an obvious ABS alarm.

That persisted from Merida (with a stop in Villa Hermosa) to Mexico City, 1,300km. I was approaching mountains and my thoughts were not good. The last thing I need was my brakes not working at that time, but I had no choice and kept riding. The brakes worked fine but the ABS light stayed on.

Once in Mexico City I was going to take the bike to Yamaha (as the manual strongly suggested I do if the ABS light ever turned on) but the very same morning I turned the bike on to go to Yamaha the light turned off and stayed off for the duration of the trip.

Once back home I took the bike to Yamaha, they inspected the ABS system, electrical system etc and found nothing wrong.

Fast forward to last month. On my ride to Chiapas the same thing happened. Around the same area, about 200km from my house the ABS light turned on.

The brakes still worked but the light stayed on. On this particular ride you are riding on mountain ranges, ABS are very nice on steep declines on a 300kg+ loaded bike. The brakes worked, but they felt like "normal disc brakes", this time the ABS system was obviously off and the brakes no longer felt unified (UBS was also off, not nice when you are used to it).

I managed just fine without ABS/UBS. I rode on a combination of pavement, gravel, mud for a week but the bike felt much, much different I can assure you. All of a sudden I enjoyed having riding skills, something the S10 is very forgiving with.

The only "problem" I had was coming back down from 10,000ft on a very steep decline, in rain, when a truck cut me off and then suddenly stopped in front of me. Usually the ABS/UBS brakes would have managed the sudden stop on wet roads, but this time I only had disc brakes.

The big fully loaded S10 skidded sideways, I caught the skid and re-balanced coming to a full stop .5" from the truck's bumper. I will say that not having ABS on such a heavy bike, on wet roads, in an emergency stop is no fun.

The ABS light stayed on all the way back home, and the ABS system was off the whole way back (total off time approximately 2,500km).

The day after I returned home I rode the bike to Yamaha with the ABS light on and pulled into the garage. The mechanic comes over and I explain the problem. He was familiar with it from last year. I turned the bike on to show him the ABS light and the light was OFF!

They re-check the ABS system, drained the lines, re-checked the electrical etc etc etc and did not find a problem with the ABS/UBS.

As of today the ABS light is still off and the ABS/UBS system works perfectly again.

I am not sure what is going on. I am hoping to catch the problem again in order to take the bike to Yamaha with the ABS light on. The only way they can plug in their computer to read the problem is with the ABS light on.

As a side note, there was much talk in the past about turning off the ABS in gravel, dirt, mud etc. I can now attest that the S10 manages much better with the ABS on than if it is turned off. Will I ever wonder if turning off the ABS would make the bike "feel better" off pavement? No, I can assure you it doesn't.

Even though the ABS/UBS was off it was nice to still have brakes that worked. They did not work perfectly, but as perfectly as non-UBS work. I will give a big up to Yamaha for that.

If you guys have any ideas please let me know, over here we are stumped to what it could be.......
sounds like an intermittent loose connection...

do you know if the traction control was still working when the ABS failed?
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #12368
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
The traction control worked fine, no problems on T2, T1, or off, all 3 worked as usual.

We were also figuring the problem being electrical. They turned the wiring upside down the second time and found nothing. But by that time the ABS light was off, so I am not sure how one would know in the first place. Maybe now that all wiring has been unplugged and re-plugged and tested for shorting again the problem is gone.

I was also thinking the heat might have had something to do with it. Close to Merida, where it happened twice, it was 41C (105F) I figured maybe the controller or speed sensors were freaking out from the heat.

Palenque was much the same temperature. But as I headed to San Cristobal the temps were 25C (77F) or lower, we had beautiful riding weather all week and the ABS light was still on.

I returned and the temp was back to the normal hot weather again, 32+C (90+F) and the ABS light turned off again, so maybe heat is not what it is.

I did have a bad feeling it was the ABS controller malfunctioning, which is something we will not know for sure until it happens again, if it happens again.

Hopefully the wiring is now not shorting out for whatever reason and the problem is gone for good.

What I am still not sure about is how the bike hears me when I say "That's it! I'm taking you to the doctor!" and starts working perfectly as soon as I take it to the doctor's office if it were electrical. That is some amazing timing if you ask me. I should have threatened it earlier during the trip.

The thing is alive I tell ya, ALIVE!!!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #12369
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 620
well, at least you have good records of reporting the problem, so I would think if/when it becomes more permanent, you will have a warranty leg to stand on, even when it has expired - good luck!
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #12370
Uncle_Dave
Outback Traveller

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
G'day All !!! Just want to find out if anybody on here has had any diff problems yet ??? Oil leaks, noise issues ??? I have a problem possibly brewing so not saying too much just yet !!! I do look at this thread from time to time but not enough to see if anybody is having any issues.

Cheers - Brendan
Hi Brendan, my final drive has been leaking oil from around the main seal since going through a fair bit of dirty water, I did the feeler gauge trick and this seems to have slowed the leak down but I'm not sure if it has completely stopped. The seal is cheap and easy to replace so I'm not worried.

Apart from that no noises or anything else in 40,000ks.

Cheers.
Uncle_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:28 PM   #12371
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
The manual states that in the event of any malfunction of the ABS the first thing to be done is clean (and lube ?) the ABS main terminal plug connections at the ABS motor/ECU.

Old Git Ray screwed with this post 06-01-2012 at 02:41 PM
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #12372
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:

Interesting. As a service manager for a car dealership I can tell you, we absofuckinlutely hate intermittent problems like this. The customer thinks we don't want to fix their car under warranty, when in fact, we don't get paid a dime by the factory for troubleshooting, etc. UNLESS we find the problem. It drives the technicians, and me, nuts!

It's a shame that the system on the bike isn't sophisticated enough to store a "history code" like cars do, so if a light kicks on, and then disappears, we can at least see what code was set at the time. Hope they get it figured out for you...
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #12373
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
If you guys have any ideas please let me know, over here we are stumped to what it could be....
There is a guy at work who is having the same issues on his FJR. So If someone figures that one out I'll pass on the info.

It may have no bearing on the S10 but the system looks similar from the outside.

The connections thing is worth a shot though. And as Creggur says, it drives techs nuts this kind of thing, whatever the industry.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 06-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #12374
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum View Post
Could it be a handling problem? Doesn't want to turn-in???

Seriously, I really dig your rig, nicely done mate!!

Regards, Paul

Thanks Paul for the compliments but that should go to the builder Phil Duffy who lovingly mated the two together. The bike handles quite nicely with the chair swinging off it, but I am having an issue with it snapping spokes in the rear wheel due to the side loads being applied to it.

Cheers - Brendan
Old 06-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #12375
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Paul for the compliments but that should go to the builder Phil Duffy who lovingly mated the two together. The bike handles quite nicely with the chair swinging off it, but I am having an issue with it snapping spokes in the rear wheel due to the side loads being applied to it.

Cheers - Brendan

Have you had a talk to Woody about some super Duper Spokes?