Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #12376
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,477
Yep I have Graham sent it one last night and keenly awaiting a reply !!! I will give it until mid next week if I haven't heard anything I will try again.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #12377
LDRydr
S10 Pilot

Oddometer: 136
AltRider skidplate and aftermarket oil filters - Don't do it!

During a recent trip my S-T developed an oil leak leading to oil pooling in the bottom of my AltRider skidplate. It seemed to be coming from the front but it was hard to see exactly where. I thought maybe I'd neglected to fully tighten the oil filter (unlikely) or I'd overfilled the oil on my first oil change (more likely). I could not tighten the filter with the plate on so I simply wiped things up and continued my ride, deciding to check it when I got home.

Once home it was time for an oil change so I pulled the skidplate off, cleaned it up, drained the oil, swapped the Bosch 3300 filter out and refilled (measuring this time). I reinstalled the plate. I found a small dent in the oil filter I'd removed. I figured that was the cause of my leak, thinking either a rock had wedged itself in between the front bracket nut and the filter and had worn through. Or I had dented the filter when I'd tightened up the nut on the skidplate bracket. I wrapped things up and didn't think about it again.

Until a few days later when I noticed fresh engine oil dripping on my friend's brand new driveway (sorry Ernie!). It looked like it was coming from the same place. Ernie was able to take a photo with his camera and we saw that damned nut was right up against the oil filter. I couldn't understand how AltRider had designed the plate this way. So I went in search on the Super Tenere forum for lengths of oil filters and found the Bosch 3300 filter I was using was listed as 2.5", same as the Yamaha factory filter. Something was amiss. So I trotted off to the dealer and purchased a factory filter (p/n 5GH-13440-20) and it is 2.631" (thanks Dallara). So the Bosch was actually 3", not 2.5"

Moral of the story is DO NOT use an aftermarket oil filter with the AltRider skidplate unless it's no longer than the stock 2.6" filter. I've alerted the folks at AltRider about this and they'll be making this known in their documentation.

Damaged filter

Clearance using a 2.5" Bosch 3300 filter

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” -- Helen Keller

LDRydr screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 08:10 AM Reason: Remeasured the filter lengths
LDRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #12378
Uncle_Dave
Outback Traveller

Oddometer: 171
Thumb

It's the same with the SW Motech skid plate as well. I had a genuine Yamaha filter on mine but it was one from an R1/R6 or something but sure enough it was a bit longer than the one we're suppose to use.

Heads up everyone.
Uncle_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:44 PM   #12379
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Oil Filter Lengths...

~

Just for the record, I just pulled out some oil filters for some measuring, hopefully to avoid some confusion. I used a precision digital caliper to be as accurate as possible, so I hope these numbers will help.

Yamaha's recommended oil filter for the Super Tenere is their part # 5GH-13440-20. I have a case of these here, so I just pulled one out at random. Its overall length, from o-ring gasket face to the center of the top, measured out at 2.631" (66.83mm), which, needless to say, is a bit over 2.5". These are usually referred to as the "short" filter.

Yamaha also sells some other oil filters (their Yamaha-branded filters are actually made by Denso) that will screw onto and interface perfectly with the Super Tenere's engine case, but have more overall length. These are often referred to as the "long" filters. I have a couple of these here - Yamaha part # 3FV-13440-00 - and it has an overall length measurement of 2.851" (72.43mm).

There are all sorts of oil filter crossover lists that show various filters that will fit all sorts of Yamaha models (along with other brands, too), but some most definitely *DO* have differently overall lengths. For instance, I have some Mobil 1 oil filters here that work on a number of Yamaha models (as well as some other brands). Again, they will mate with the engine case without a problem on the Super Tenere, but I just measured them as found the following lengths for each one:

Mobil 1 M1-108 - 2.566" (65.19mm)

Mobil 1 M1-110 - 3.383" (85.92mm)

As you can see one is actually a bit *shorter* than the "short* Yamaha filter while the *longer* one is quite a bit *longer* than the "long" Yamaha filter. No doubt if one had the time and the money to purchase and measure any and all filters that will mate with the Yamaha case face you would most likely find a lot of different lengths.

Which just goes to show, IMHO, that when you fit any non-Yamaha aftermarket accessory (or different filter than Yamaha specifies for your bike) you should carefully measure, measure, measure - and check the fit, repeatedly - to make sure you don't run into problems.

If any of you folks have some other popular oil filter brands out there sitting on your shelf it might help others if you could carefully measure their overall length and post it here. Might help save others a similar headache like the one LDRydr had.

Thanks!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #12380
Uncle_Dave
Outback Traveller

Oddometer: 171
Thumb

Thanks Dallara, the filter I "was" using is referred as the Yamaha Long filter. It is this filter that comes in contact with the SW Motech skid plate.

I now only use the Yamaha Short filter...

Cheers
Dave.
Uncle_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:16 AM   #12381
Papa Pete
RIDES RED

Oddometer: 619
tsunami Super Tenere!!!

So My brother buys a new S10 on the first go around with a long wait before the dealer had finally got it in.
Now bike has had a blown fork seal, gas tank and cap rusting, all the staples holding the seat together rusting, other parts rusting,etc,etc. Anyone else having corroding problems on the S10? I'm thinking whole bike or parts were salt watered.
Papa Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #12382
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 285
Just measured my 2.5" PureOne at 3" external length. Bummer...

Do we know the actual external length of that Bosch 3300?
Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:43 AM   #12383
OTRATT
On The Road All The Time

Oddometer: 161
Yamaha #5GH-13440-20 2.63xx"

Wix #51358 2.75xx"

OTRATT screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 06:56 AM
OTRATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #12384
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDRydr View Post
Can you simply reverse the bolt?
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #12385
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Now, that's what thinking outside the box truly is.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #12386
LDRydr
S10 Pilot

Oddometer: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Yes, but it would be ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cykel View Post
Just measured my 2.5" PureOne at 3" external length. Bummer...

Do we know the actual external length of that Bosch 3300?
Just measured one. It's 3" exactly. I'll have Dallara correct the listing for this filter.

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” -- Helen Keller
LDRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 AM   #12387
mbabc
Curmudgeon trainee

Oddometer: 1,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Dave View Post
Thanks Dallara, the filter I "was" using is referred as the Yamaha Long filter. It is this filter that comes in contact with the SW Motech skid plate.

I now only use the Yamaha Short filter...

Cheers
Dave.
Thanks for the heads up. I just changed my oil last night (4k) and used a K&N-204 with the 'bolt' on the end that fits a scoket. It clears the bash plate (SW-Motech) by 5 mm or so, but next time I'm going with the short ones. Easy to watch so if I smack something before the next change I'll inspect it.

I don't know what time it is, I've switched to kilometers

mbabc screwed with this post 06-02-2012 at 08:47 AM
mbabc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #12388
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
The manual states that in the event of any malfunction of the ABS the first thing to be done is clean (and lube ?) the ABS main terminal plug connections at the ABS motor/ECU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
Interesting. As a service manager for a car dealership I can tell you, we absofuckinlutely hate intermittent problems like this. The customer thinks we don't want to fix their car under warranty, when in fact, we don't get paid a dime by the factory for troubleshooting, etc. UNLESS we find the problem. It drives the technicians, and me, nuts!

It's a shame that the system on the bike isn't sophisticated enough to store a "history code" like cars do, so if a light kicks on, and then disappears, we can at least see what code was set at the time. Hope they get it figured out for you...
Thanks for the diagram Ray, I wish I had a service manual.

They cleaned all of the above but without the ABS light on it's like trying to find a problem without a problem.

Yes, very frustrating when it happens, even more when it stops happening but you still know there is a problem somewhere.

I can't blame the dealer, I knew we were in trouble as soon as I started the bike and the ABS light went off.

I figure that if it is a "real problem" with the ECU we will be able to catch it as it will happen again. If the ECU is fine and all was due to the terminals losing contact the problem should be fixed. Of course it could be 20 other things, but the ECU is most likely the most expensive item to fix.

I can’t blame Yamaha either, I still had brakes without brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
There is a guy at work who is having the same issues on his FJR. So If someone figures that one out I'll pass on the info.

Thanks Graham, that would be great.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #12389
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
So what are you saying. They had it tied to the bow of a ship when transporting it from Japan? Maybe it was damaged during the tsunami!
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #12390
Specterx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
akrapovic vs stock exhaust

Just got my new akrapovic exhaust and put together a quick video to compare it to stock.

Hope you like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHeaBo2lgh8

HTML Code:

Specterx screwed with this post 06-03-2012 at 12:56 PM
Specterx is online now   Reply With Quote