Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 05:42 AM   #12406
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
Hello,

I am curious how you would rate the overall ride quality on the highway with this bike. I do a lot of cross country riding and would appreciate some of your insight(s). I know it is not a Goldwing or BMW GT.

thanks!
The common 'issues' are buffeting and the sloped seat. There are free 'fixes' for the seat, and several purchasable options for the buffeting (aftermarket windshield, adjustable brackets, winglets).

That being said, I've pulled personal record length days on this bike without issue. My first big ride (which was 1 week after the day of purchase) I had two separate days over 800 miles. No seat mods, no aftermarket stuff, no problems.

The suspension is harsh at first, but it smooths itself out after a few thousand miles.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #12407
vnp514
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
Hello,

I am curious how you would rate the overall ride quality on the highway with this bike. I do a lot of cross country riding and would appreciate some of your insight(s). I know it is not a Goldwing or BMW GT.

thanks!
You might find this interesting:

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=2376.0

Pete
vnp514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #12408
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,520
Anyone tried Michelin Pilot road 3 Trails on the Ten yet? I know it'll be heresy for some - but i'm tarmac only and the rear Metzler is nearing the end of it's usefulness.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #12409
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulvt1 View Post
Anyone tried Michelin Pilot road 3 Trails on the Ten yet? I know it'll be heresy for some - but i'm tarmac only and the rear Metzler is nearing the end of it's usefulness.
If they are the same compound as the standard Road 3's I would say they will be a great thing. Never tried them on the S10 though.

I will say, they don't offer much grip on wet clay

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #12410
dave6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
If they are the same compound as the standard Road 3's I would say they will be a great thing. Never tried them on the S10 though.

I will say, they don't offer much grip on wet clay
Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #12411
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Another Tire Question

I know several folks love the K60's... I'm wondering if anyone has tried the closest competitor, the Mitas E-07:

I've read good things about traction on and off pavement, and the treadlife is spectacular:
At 19,000 miles :

I'm simply concerned about vibrations. I know the K60 suffers from noticeable vibes, I wonder if this will be any worse. As it stands, I can get a set of Mitas E-07's for only $295 shipped from Canada to my door, where as K60's from a US distributor come in at $325.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #12412
WVMTS
Podunk Chillbilly

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Paul, what mileage are you getting out of the Metzler? I ran those on my Ducati and was getting about 6500-7000 miles with a not too heavy throttle. Could some others chime in as well on their mileage? REALLY wanting an S10 and wanting to pull the trigger soon.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #12413
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,713
Strange request...

First off, I have been following this thread (and the "...Show Us Your Bikes!" thread) for about a year-and-a-half now. I have really enjoyed all the great info. and pics, and would like to thank all the "owners" who have kept this "non-owner" drooling for all those months.

Anyhow, onto the request...

I know that quite a few of you are KLR (or ex-KLR) owners. I was wondering if anyone might have a pic of a skidplate-equipped KLR (preferably 2nd-Gen) sitting next to a skidplate-equipped S-10...just for a relative view of ground clearance.

Anyone?...anyone?

Thanks in advance...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:13 PM   #12414
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,847
Quote:
i use those on my bandit. awesome tires.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:33 PM   #12415
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMTS View Post
Paul, what mileage are you getting out of the Metzler? I ran those on my Ducati and was getting about 6500-7000 miles with a not too heavy throttle. Could some others chime in as well on their mileage? REALLY wanting an S10 and wanting to pull the trigger soon.
The rear is still ok at 4000 miles - but might need changing in 500 miles or so. The front look fine. I'm not too shy with the throttle though..
Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 PM   #12416
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
i use those on my bandit. awesome tires.
Cheers for that. Haven't heard too much negative press about the Pilots so far.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:43 AM   #12417
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I know several folks love the K60's... I'm wondering if anyone has tried the closest competitor, the Mitas E-07:

I've read good things about traction on and off pavement, and the treadlife is spectacular:
At 19,000 miles :

I'm simply concerned about vibrations. I know the K60 suffers from noticeable vibes, I wonder if this will be any worse. As it stands, I can get a set of Mitas E-07's for only $295 shipped from Canada to my door, where as K60's from a US distributor come in at $325.
I run E-07 all round on a Transalp and wet bitumen can be a little slippy at the rear. Ride is very smooth though and off road traction is better than it looks capable of.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #12418
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,510
G'day Mike I have had one fitted to the back on my S10. I got 11000km out of it which I was very happy considering I have a sidecar attached to it. It looked like the second photo you posted when I was finished with it just shy of showing the belting.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 PM   #12419
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
First off, I have been following this thread (and the "...Show Us Your Bikes!" thread) for about a year-and-a-half now. I have really enjoyed all the great info. and pics, and would like to thank all the "owners" who have kept this "non-owner" drooling for all those months.

Anyhow, onto the request...

I know that quite a few of you are KLR (or ex-KLR) owners. I was wondering if anyone might have a pic of a skidplate-equipped KLR (preferably 2nd-Gen) sitting next to a skidplate-equipped S-10...just for a relative view of ground clearance.

Anyone?...anyone?

Thanks in advance...

This was without the skid plate on my S10 but I have the OEM skid plate fitted now. The KLR has the SW-Motech skid plate.

Close up pictures:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1134679...2067/Skidplate

RockyDS screwed with this post 06-07-2012 at 07:03 PM Reason: Added link
RockyDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #12420
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

At 19,000 miles :

street traction doesnt concern me. the TC on the ST works awesome on the street
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote