Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #12466
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpete64 View Post
What kind of miles per gallon are you getting on your Tenere?
Just finished a 3600 mile trip. Heavily loaded with my stuff and my fat ass. Avg 42 mpg....some of this at ludicrous speed....
Old 06-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #12467
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRVT View Post
I crashed my F800GS on gravel maybe at 45MPH. The left Trax case ripped off and the mount got so bent that it needed to be replaced after the trip. I spent about 6 weeks riding with that thing latched in 3 rather than 4 points and steelwired to the mount. I hammered out the case to the original shape but it is not waterproof anymore. Insurance paid me to replace it but by now I don't mind the "scarred" look. I think they survive a slow speed drop but not do so well at higher speeds. They also stick out quite far to the side, that helps with drops but not with crashes. If I was doing it again, I would spend the extra money on Touratech cases.
I had the Trax cases on my F800GS as well. Initially, I loved them. They looked good and I could deal with the admittedly minor leaking. Unfortunately, a low speed tip over crossing a wet log caved in the right side badly and bent the mounting bracket. I banged them out with a hammer and 2x4 and got it as close to square as possible. What eventually did them in was an accident when the dropped the bike on the side at speed and the box folded up like an accordion. Admittedly, they saved my wife's left leg, but I'd probably not get them again. I think I'll try the Zega Pro cases next...
Old 06-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #12468
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Wolfman makes racks for the Tenere now...that's a major consideration...bags to fit both the Tenere and the WR? Nice.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #12469
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,344
the jesse racks are the tightest, squarest, plumbest, and most solid. his boxes are quite solid too.

motech racks are wide as hell before you put the boxes on (making them weaker) and you have to shim them all funny if you want them square and plumb.
lots of pannier info here
http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=2767.0
and more threads there on each manufacturer
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #12470
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

I'm rethinking the whole hardbag thing now....

Love me some jesse's though
Old 06-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #12471
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
the jesse racks are the tightest, squarest, plumbest, and most solid. his boxes are quite solid too.
I would agree, but I just don't like the look of them. They look too "retro" to me if that makes sense.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:16 PM   #12472
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

In the end it's Zega pros or Wolfman...and since I haven't had a need to lock up a case and walk away from the bike in 13000 miles, AND that I can swap them to the WR, it's going to be anything I'm thinking soft luggage.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #12473
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmEff View Post
I would agree, but I just don't like the look of them. They look too "retro" to me if that makes sense.
his boxes are as bad ass as the racks but too beveled for me. i dont understand why he bevels all 4 sides on the lid and the rear on the bottom losing all that space

Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:23 PM   #12474
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
his boxes are as bad ass as the racks but too beveled for me. i dont understand why he bevels all 4 sides on the lid and the rear on the bottom losing all that space
That is exactly what I'm talking about... the owners I've talked to love them, though!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #12475
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by kessler89 View Post
any word on yamaha offering any other colors in the us for the 2013 models?? i'd love to have a white one but i might not be able to wait that long
I waited 2 1/2 years for a car I was in love with until it was released in white. If Yamaha makes these availabl in white over here i'm in!

And a letter/email is a great idea.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:35 PM   #12476
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
I waited 2 1/2 years for a car I was in love with until it was released in white. If Yamaha makes these availabl in white over here i'm in!

And a letter/email is a great idea.
What a bunch of excuses. There are people around that can paint things you know?

Treat it as your first farkle.

And if you use the bike as intended you will need a relationship with a good painter.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #12477
Chicken Helmet
I'm A Stumper™

Oddometer: 4,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
What a bunch of excuses. There are people around that can paint things you know?

Treat it as your first farkle.

And if you use the bike as intended you will need a relationship with a good painter.
Not a bunch, just one. If I buy a brand new bike the last thing i'd waste money on is a color change. Oh who am I kidding it's the 127 beacon score.
From what I've heard, riding a DR feels just like riding a KLR except you're head doesn't sway left and right constantly scanning the ditches for aluminum cans.
Chicken Helmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:26 PM   #12478
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Helmet View Post
Not a bunch, just one. If I buy a brand new bike the last thing i'd waste money on is a color change. Oh who am I kidding it's the 127 beacon score.
I think there are a bunch more excuses hiding under that "one"
Old 06-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #12479
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
I have the TraX EVO set up with the quick locks (now bolted on) and like it. 45L Right, 37L Left and 38L Top box. Some have said the old one's leak but so far I have not found that to be a problem with mine. They are durable for gravel and dirt although they rattle like an empty Chevy 1/2 Ton when they are not loaded. This could lead to a cracking issue long term but I'm not worried as they are usually loaded. They have a nice tiedown set up as well if you wan't to run dry bags etc. They also make for good benches when camping.

I saw a Super T with the Zega Pro's on it at the Overland Expo. I really like the apparent durability of those as well as the look. It seems like they would take a relatively high speed crash on gravel better than the Trax units but unconfirmed. They sit up a little higher than the TraX cases as but a non issue really. If money was not a problem I would go with the Zega Pro's I think.
Ironic that I noticed on my TraX 45L right case today that the lid is bowed down (bent) where I have been using it as a bench. Seems that the material is thin and could not take my weight (not fat). Now going to have to use the 37L left for this purpose since it has less of a span across the top so hopefully will hold up better.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #12480
EmmEff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
Ironic that I noticed on my TraX 45L right case today that the lid is bowed down (bent) where I have been using it as a bench. Seems that the material is thin and could not take my weight (not fat). Now going to have to use the 37L left for this purpose since it has less of a span across the top so hopefully will hold up better.
This lends credence to the fact that they don't hold up to even minor abuse (read- tip overs).