Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #12586
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Looks beefy, but I hold onto my original assessment that the oil filter extension and the rear tabs are major weak spots.

I'd say, If you've got to have that big honking oil filter box sticking out the front, at least make it a bolt on part for easier oil changes. A couple welded on nuts behind the plate, and a couple monstrously thick bolts through flanges in the filter extension box into the plate.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #12587
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,710
Thumb Now there's a skid plate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
So... here it is, the new skid plate.
It's huge and it looks very strong, really thick aluminium. Its only the first prototype so the manufacturer (ACD) said it needs to polish lot of little details and the design of the holes but I basically I like it.
Tomorrow Im going to take it out to see how difficult is to change the oil and how heavy it is.
They said I must try to destroy it its a shame but I must do a proper test

Tell me your opinions

Outstanding! I like it!

I also like how the rear mounts have been changed to a steel strap which should solve any of the breakage issues mentioned previously from the CAD drawings. I also like the idea of there being a separate oil filter cover, much like Jaxon's RideOnADV "Bomb-Proof" skid plate, that can be removed for filter changes rather than removing the entire plate. And any plate that mounts exclusively to the frame, rather than partially to the engine or sump, has got to be a better solution.

Can't wait to hear more about your testing and evaluations, and hope that if it gets built that a US distributor will be found.

Thanks!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #12588
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,875
Quote:
So... here it is, the new skid plate.
It's huge and it looks very strong, really thick aluminium. Its only the first prototype so the manufacturer (ACD) said it needs to polish lot of little details and the design of the holes but I basically I like it.
Tomorrow Im going to take it out to see how difficult is to change the oil and how heavy it is.
They said I must try to destroy it its a shame but I must do a proper test

Tell me your opinions

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:18 PM   #12589
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oil Filter cover does remove...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Looks beefy, but I hold onto my original assessment that the oil filter extension and the rear tabs are major weak spots.

I'd say, If you've got to have that big honking oil filter box sticking out the front, at least make it a bolt on part for easier oil changes. A couple welded on nuts behind the plate, and a couple monstrously thick bolts through flanges in the filter extension box into the plate.

I think if you look more closely, Mikef5000, you'll see the "oil filter box sticking out front" is, indeed, removable... and looks to be held on by four 6mm (8 or 10mm headed) bolts, most likely that thread into the aluminum main plate I'd guess.

Is that correct, Jaumev?

Dallara

~

~
Old 06-15-2012, 02:24 PM   #12590
sscol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Tough to tell on my POS laptop, but it looks like the oil filter cover is welded on.
sscol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM   #12591
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh Probably so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sscol View Post
Tough to tell on my POS laptop, but it looks like the oil filter cover is welded on.

You're probably right, as I'm looking at the pics on an *old* laptop and my eyes are even *OLDER*!

And since it is a prototype that would make more sense for it to be welded on, but making the cover a removable part shouldn't be too hard for production...

If it is, indeed, welded on please ignore my previous erroneous comment, and back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Dallara

~

~
Old 06-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #12592
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
I think if you look more closely, Mikef5000, you'll see the "oil filter box sticking out front" is, indeed, removable... and looks to be held on by four 6mm (8 or 10mm headed) bolts, most likely that thread into the aluminum main plate I'd guess.

Is that correct, Jaumev?

Dallara

~
Looks like an 8mm weld to me.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #12593
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
Hola Javier ... see you replaced the rear supports ... good, similar to the Krauser I copied

Remember to get rid of your catalyzer if you want to have real power ... lol ... and of all the protections you have in the down pipes. What happens when you bottom the forks? do your rear end of the mudguard hits the oil filter protection?
Saludos,
Roberto
Hola Roberto
Yes, the rear supports look very strong. Hope to take off the catalyser in the next dual exhaust evolution but they want to finis firs the bafflers, hope in a week or two I'm going to have the pre-series ones.
No proble with the OEM front guard and the filter box. Tomorrow I want to make a kind of extender fender to see what happens with it but it looks far away to the fender.
Saludos!
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #12594
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post

To protect the damm filter in that position there are two options, the classic where all the skid plate covers the filter or make a box like that. We prefer that option to put the plate tighter to the engine and make it smaller.
I do not think that's a problem because strong shocks do not occur in that area but below.
We have thought open that area but the manufacturer believes that there is little gain in ease access to the filter but a big loss in strength in that area of the shield.
We want to test first if the normal screws work(stronger than the countersunk) , this skid plate part is higher than the rest, so the manufacturer believes they don’t will receive impacts, if they are we going to change it for welded ones. I think the back supports are very strong, we will see in the tests.

jaumev screwed with this post 06-16-2012 at 07:02 AM
Old 06-15-2012, 03:01 PM   #12595
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Outstanding! I like it!
Can't wait to hear more about your testing and evaluations, and hope that if it gets built that a US distributor will be found.

~
I'm glad you like it. I'll tell you how it works.
No idea if they have distributors in the US but I'm going to tell them to follow this post and tell you.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:07 PM   #12596
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

You are good, really good Pluric.

Yes its a shame It's the only way to try it properly do not you think?
After suffering for so long trying not to bend the skid plate, will be great to go in stones with no worries.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #12597
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I think if you look more closely, Mikef5000, you'll see the "oil filter box sticking out front" is, indeed, removable...
~
No, is not removable. I told you why... but is a prototype so we can change our minds

Quote:
... and looks to be held on by four 6mm (8 or 10mm headed) bolts, most likely that thread into the aluminum main plate I'd guess.
Is that correct, Jaumev?

Dallara
~
I hope!!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:26 PM   #12598
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Cry OK, so I'm a blind dope...

Quote:
No, is not removable. I told you why... but is a prototype so we can change our minds

I hope!!

Thanks for correcting my erroneously inaccurate assessment, Jaumev!

My eyes are gettin' as unreliable as my brain, damn it!!!

My apologies if my error misled anybody, but here's hoping that the production version *WILL* come with a removable oil filter cover!

Thanks again!

Dallara

~

~
Old 06-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #12599
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for correcting my erroneously inaccurate assessment, Jaumev!

My eyes are gettin' as unreliable as my brain, damn it!!!

My apologies if my error misled anybody, but here's hoping that the production version *WILL* come with a removable oil filter cover!

Thanks again!

Dallara

~
Well Dallara I am like you... damm glasses!!

The manufacturer said is soooo easy take the plate off that is no necessary the filter cover, we'll see.
Also if you don't take the plate off to change the oil, normally there is a mess in the bash plate. Tomorrow I want to take it off to try it.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #12600
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
It's time for the first service

Anybody know the size of the crush washers for the oil drain plugs and the final drive drain plug? The local dealer (not the one where I bought the bike) probably doesn't know what a Tenere is... From previous experience, it's best to go in there asking for specific parts rather than ask them to look it up .

Is there anything else that needs checking at 600mi?

Thanks
12mm for the oil drain plugs and 14mm for the final drive drain plug. I went to Ace and got fiber ones real cheap. I also saw that you can buy a box of 10, I think, at Cycle Gear for like 3 bucks. In each size.