User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2012, 04:40 PM   #12886
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
AAaaaarrrrggg.

The Mitas E-07's are out of stock in Canada, and my current tires are just about bald. I was really hoping to try them over the K60's.

I emailed them and asked how quickly they will be available, and if they'd be willing to drop the pricing a bit on the E-07 Dakars. We will see.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #12887
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Hey guys seatconcepts is developing. A seat for the Tenere and need the extra help of a local rider for R&D. Help is and get a free seat! We are located in San Jacinto ca. Pm me or call me at 951-741-0722

Thanks
BUNDY

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:24 PM   #12888
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,385
Bundy, link to the post over on YamahaSuperTenere.com

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...c=5063.new#new

Good talking to you today. Good luck

-Bill
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 12:36 AM   #12889
swakop_toe

Oddometer: 21
Low Oil Level warning light...

Quote:
Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post
Two weeeks ago a friend and I HAD to take a buddy home as he was way over the driving limit. We were three up on my S10, combined weight of roughly 250kg. Drove about 2km's and I noticed my Low Oil warning light flicker on and off, then come on for a couple of seconds, then go off and did not come on again.

The next morning I started the bike as normal, on the side-stand until it the temp read 40C and drove off.
About 500m down the road (tar, not hammering the revs), the oil warning light flickered again, stayed on for about a kilometre and went off again. The radiator temp read 65C. It did not come on again until I reached my office 52km away..

I did not ride again for 10 days until yesterday morning, same process. Let the bike idle on the side stand until 40C and drove off. This time the oil warning light came on and stayed on until the bike was 85C when if went off again and did not come on again until I reached my office 52km away.

This morning I started the bike and did not let it warm up (the owners manual says if the temp gauge reads "LO", it fine to ride...). Oil warning light came on about 1km further, stayed on until the bike was78C, went off and did not come on again until I reached my office 52km away.

Morning temps between 0C and 8C

Driving back in the evenings on all these occasions have not yet had the oil warning light come on.

She's done 18,256km to date and I had the oil changed at the dealer at 15,000km (also at 10,000km) and had the K&N filter "cleaned/washed".

Dealer reckons I shouldn't worry about it, as it is a level sensor, not a pressure sensor, but I am worried. False readings or not, when do I decide it's not a false reading??
Owners manual (pg. 6-13) states "If the oil level warning light flickers or remains on even if the oil level is correct,
immediately turn the engine off and have a Yamaha dealer check the vehicle."

Some pics, on the centre stand:
After one hour of a 52km commute at free-way speeds:

Oil level:

Temp:

After three hours:
Oil level:

Temp:
"Lo"

Any advice/insight, please? Else, back to dealer for fault finding??
Awesome feedback! Thank you all!
Definitely a "transient" occurrence, but I'm pretty sure it's when the dealer changed the oil at 15,000km and used Caltex 20W50. I'm 500km from my 20,000km service and got 4liters of YAMALUBE last week and will have it put in instead.
Dealer said he'll remove the oil sensor too, and "clean" it. I will report back what the results are.

Again, thanks for all the reassurances.

Happy Days All!
swakop_toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:19 AM   #12890
swakop_toe

Oddometer: 21
Just a couple of pics for show'n tell...

Recent additions:

Spotted at Yamaha World in Johannesburg last week. A posse of S10's!

Happy Days All!
swakop_toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:01 AM   #12891
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by swakop_toe View Post

Spotted at Yamaha World in Johannesburg last week. A posse of S10's!

Happy Days All!
There were a couple of winter show photos about this re-visit to what was previously known as Ducati Bat Barf Gray (BBG). People either loved or hated it. Personally, I like that white/black/red in the background.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:32 AM   #12892
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

I love that grey/black combination.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #12893
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I love that grey/black combination.
Nice, but a bit of colour (red Yamaha lines?) could improve it.
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 01:25 PM   #12894
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
I like the color, but would want to clear coat it. With some shine it may be ok.
Reminds me too much of my Hot Rod grey primer days.. LOL
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #12895
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I like the color, but would want to clear coat it. With some shine it may be ok.
Reminds me too much of my Hot Rod grey primer days.. LOL
I agree. I love the look of flat paint, but it doesn't hold up anywhere near as well.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #12896
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,958
Test rode a Tenere today.....

First things first. If you're a Yamaha and/or Tenere foaming-at-the-mouth, die-hard fanatic, I'm going to warn you now to AVERT YOUR EYES!!!! I'm going to write things that will likely incite the masses into a pitch-fork carrying, torch waving mob, intent on putting one innocent Monkey to death.

There. With that mild intro, here goes.....

First order of biz. BIG props to Santa Rosa Powersports in Santa Rosa, CA for letting me flog....errrr....ride their demo bike in a mature, responsible manner....on my own.....in the canyons.....

Also, if anyone on the US west coast is looking for THE best price I have ever seen on one of these beasties, give Chad or Brian a ring and tell 'em a crazy bastage on a Multistrada sent you for their.....wait for it......$11,988 DEAL!!!! Yep, you read it right. They have 3 bikes left, 1 Raven (their demo bike...they'll cut an even better deal on that one), 2 blue, and they're clearing them out at a scorching deal. Please note that is NOT the OTD price. You still have to add dealer prep, freight, taxes, title, license, blood sample, urine sample, and I believe one toe from your right foot (they don't want to screw up your shift foot..... ).

One last order of business before my review. I know some of what I experienced was due to the bike being new (grabby brakes, clunky shifting), so I'll give the bike some slack for those 2 items.....

Right off the bat, I started in T mode. That lasted 1 block. WTF?!?! Twist the throttle and all it did was make more noise. Forward velocity didn't change much. For a second I thought I was on a Harley..... (see, I'm an equal opportunity brand offender....two in one shot! ). I could see T mode being great for truly horrible riding conditions (snow, ice, comet strike..... ) where you need every little inch/pound of torque put to use to claw forward....slowly.

On to S mode then shall we. WTF?!?! Is there another mode I can try? Why all the nannying from Yamaha??? It's obvious the engine can make better power and torque than this and "something" is holding it back. No wonder people have been looking for (and apparently found through some clutch switch magic juju) a way to unleash the beast within. If I bought one of these, that would be the first mod I'd make. Shame on you Yamaha for such neutering of a what has the potential to be a truly brilliant motor. But....without some sort of fix, I found the bike to be sluggish, especially when compared to my MTS12 (duh).

Last in the motor dept. is the shaft drive. WTF?!?! That shaft might be able to withstand a nuclear event, but the jacking was excessive IMO. Roll off the throttle in 2nd gear at 5k RPM and then whack the throttle open again and it jerks like it wants to rip your arms off. Note I'm not talking about PULLING like you'd expect from a 1200cc beast, I'm talking a sudden YANK before it settles into the pull you were expecting. The Tenere is the 3rd shaft drive Adv bike I've ridden (BMW GS and Guzzi Stelvio being the other two), and it has by far the worst lash of any of them. For some it might be OK, for me it was not.

So.....let's stop for a second and count hands of the people I WARNED, who didn't listen, and who are now offended and reaching for their pitch forks. One. Two. Three......oooh, this could get ugly.

Handling. Solid. As a freakin' rock. The bike makes my Ducati feel like a caffeine addicted Chihuahua by comparison. Of course that's good and bad. Mid corner, leaned over, and want to change lines.....quickly? I wish you all the best with that. Quick side-to-side transitions through S turns (and I mean sport bike quick)? Plan ahead....by a lot. All that stability comes at a price, so decide which is more important to you. Super stable or lightening quick and agile. Not news here, just what it is.

All the rest....fine really. Build quality fine, fit/finish fine, ergos very good for me (6', 33" inside leg), seat odd (WTF is up with the "hump" in the middle of the driver's seat?), windscreen noisy above 45mph (didn't do any freeway miles, but did do some...ummm....higher speeds and the wind screen would need to be replaced for me). And it's big. Or maybe it just FEELS big. The wind screen is wayyyyy out there, and the tank shrouds make the bike look really fat (but have the bonus of providing truly excellent wind/weather protection). But it seems very well balanced. And even with the seat in the high position, I could easily flat foot both feet. Ground clearance seemed marginal, so that's the trade off for a reasonable seat height.

Overall....very confidence-inspiring ride! With super stable handling and nothing "scary" happening with the throttle (other than the afore-mentioned drive lash), I can see where this bike will appeal to a LOT of people. And at the current blow-out prices, it's a no-brainer decision between it and the competition IMO. It's a LOT of bike for under $12k USD. Fix the "nannying" with the switch mod, let the brakes/transmission wear in a bit, fiddle with the ergos to suit, and you'd have a fine steed indeed. Just not for me. My MTS12 felt like a bicycle by comparison after getting back on it and riding home. Small, light, quick as a scared cat, and smoooooth engine. The Tenere was more vibey (like those low-freq vibes you get when driving a tractor), but I expect that too would mellow out with more miles. Sure, the Tenere would be miles better off-road, but my needs are 90/10, if that, and the MTS is miles better on-road (IMO).

One last thing. Those people who have ridden this bike and said it was "boring" and lacked "character".....WTF!?!? I thought the Tenere had a TON of character, and that surprised the heck out of me. The vibes, the sounds, the way the engine pulls (like a tractor, which I LOVE)....I would put it second to my Guzzi in the "bikes with soul" category. I found it very engaging, and at no point was I not made aware of it...in a good way.

To those who own them, enjoy your Tenere's. They're very nice bikes.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 04:54 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #12897
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Apart from the drive line lash stuff I agree. This is not a jacked up road bike.

I have ridden about three and the drive line lash thing was one thing I was looking for. Maybe it's Nanny lash.

None on mine, or the other two I rode. It does jack up slightly but that never bothered me. It doesn't squat is another way of putting it.

Yes the bike could make big power and yes it could suck lots of fuel. The best thing though is those looking for other than jacked up street bikes now have another option. The low down relaxed nature works off road really well too, but YAMAHA could have made it totally un restricted in S mode.(if the authorities were alright with it that is)

Pity that test rides are all on the street really.

And yes the price you pay for the more stable set up on the street is great on the loose stuff. You get used to the slower steering on the street though, where off road where things are less predictable it is something that really works well and is very easy for long distances. Perhaps too easy leading some to do foolish things.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #12898
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
but YAMAHA could have made it totally un restricted in S mode.(if the authorities were alright with it that is)
Exactly my point. If Yamaha is going to put "modes" on the bike, make at least one of them "nanny-less" and let the motor rip. People using that mode off-road are taking a risk, sure, but that's their choice. This is where I think Ducati got it right. Big nanny mode (Urban), less nanny mode (Touring), and nannyless full-power-hold-on mode (Sport). Surely Yamaha could have done something similar......

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #12899
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Exactly my point. If Yamaha is going to put "modes" on the bike, make at least one of them "nanny-less" and let the motor rip. People using that mode off-road are taking a risk, sure, but that's their choice. This is where I think Ducati got it right. Big nanny mode (Urban), less nanny mode (Touring), and nannyless full-power-hold-on mode (Sport). Surely Yamaha could have done something similar......

-SM
They may do it down the track. ATM they were sighting emissions as the reason it was slightly nanny. They may need to do a bit more work on what was a new motor when released. But it seems that is all changing a bit in the background.

I don't find S mode very laggy at all. But I inherited my bike after 7000Km and it's not a US spec bike and I have never ridden one with less than 2000km on the clock. On the other hand I have never ridden a Ducati for extended periods either.

All I can say is the S10 solved a few "first world problems" I had with jacked up street bikes. BUT most of the market is for that kind of thing in reality. The MTS is way more real world than the track bikes they usually sell without loosing all the performance, and even bringing it back to, dare I say it, a more sensible zone.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #12900
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 3,998
Sock Monkey....was ready to rail you....BUT...you're not far off. Too much Nanny...not enough Rock. I do have to say that after riding a lot of big "dualies" off road (1150GSA, 1200GSA, Tiger 955i, Big Strom...owned them all! All farkled to obscene levels...) this thing is the Shit off road for us "pussies" that can't do the "big" thing off road with the others. I have NEVER felt so confident off road on a LOADED big trailie as I have on this big 'ol chunk o' love!! Went over a lot of miles of nasty dirt roads in Utah, Colorado and Arizona (no real hard core 'trail" mind you) on this pig with all my kit and I have never felt so comfortable/confident...and may I say..."fast..." and I am enamored with the old bitch!!!
I am not young, svelte nor skilled, but the Tenere' has been a godsend to my ability to confidently traverse shitty terrain with all my gear and not fear I was going to die in the next sixty seconds. I thought it was all BS when I read all the pap sputtering about the net of this feature...now, I AM A BELIEVER....
Hauled ass (fully loaded with my fat ass and 120+ pounds of kit) and NEVER felt over-taxed nor afraid. That has NEVER happened before with any of the big dualies I have owned. (Oh, and BTW.... the Yamaha ABS DOES work off-road...contrary to all the hand wringing about no switch...How, I don't know...but I'll be fucked if it doesn't just work!!!!!! )
I am sure a Ducati is faster/sleeker/more advanced/awesome...but, you know what? I'm HOME!!!

"Nuff said".

DaFoole screwed with this post 07-10-2012 at 07:16 PM
DaFoole is online now   Reply With Quote