Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #12901
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Exactly my point. If Yamaha is going to put "modes" on the bike, make at least one of them "nanny-less" and let the motor rip. People using that mode off-road are taking a risk, sure, but that's their choice. This is where I think Ducati got it right. Big nanny mode (Urban), less nanny mode (Touring), and nannyless full-power-hold-on mode (Sport). Surely Yamaha could have done something similar......

-SM
SM - These are not the droids you seek.

So dude, why are you posing on a Ducati Multistrada? Do you just like tight red leather? Or you're simply not man enough to ride a GSXR750? Or just too old.

Dropping off throttle at 5k and whacking it wide open sounds a lot like you were trying to get the front wheel up. Doing that in 2nd probably messes with all kinds of ECU commands, since things are restricted in the first three gears for people riding off pavement, so they can actually get some traction.

It's not a sport bike. And neither is your Multistrada, though the Multi is a lot less of an adventure bike and a lot more of a street bike. Um yeah, all roads, (but we mean the paved ones).

Thanks for the review!
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #12902
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Hauled ass (fully loaded with my fat ass and 120+ pounds of kit) and NEVER felt over-taxed nor afraid. That has NEVER happened before with any of the big dualies I have owned. (Oh, and BTW.... the Yamaha ABS DOES work off-road...contrary to all the hand wringing about no switch...How, I don't know...but I'll be fucked if it doesn't just work!!!!!! )
I am sure a Ducati is faster/sleeker/more advanced/awsome...but, you know what? I'm HOME!!!

"Nuff said".

Well said. But it still takes a good ride off road to realize all this. YAMAHA may have to invest in some off road test rides

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #12903
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,391
After about 5K miles...in S mode and TCS 2...it's a hoot.

BTW, anyone interested in a 2012 Super Tenere with 15,000 miles on it? Hepco TC 52 Topcase, Powerlets & Highway Dirtbikes Top Clamp, Eastern Beaver Fuse Box....some bruises here and there, cosmetic only.

I'm sorta thinking about it. Riding is may be pretty restricted soon.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #12904
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
After about 5K miles...in S mode and TCS 2...it's a hoot.

BTW, anyone interested in a 2012 Super Tenere with 15,000 miles on it? Hepco TC 52 Topcase, Powerlets & Highway Dirtbikes Top Clamp, Eastern Beaver Fuse Box....some bruises here and there, cosmetic only.

I'm sorta thinking about it. Riding is may be pretty restricted soon.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #12905
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
SM - These are not the droids you seek.

So dude, why are you posing on a Ducati Multistrada? Do you just like tight red leather? Or you're simply not man enough to ride a GSXR750? Or just too old.

Dropping off throttle at 5k and whacking it wide open sounds a lot like you were trying to get the front wheel up. Doing that in 2nd probably messes with all kinds of ECU commands, since things are restricted in the first three gears for people riding off pavement, so they can actually get some traction.

It's not a sport bike. And neither is your Multistrada, though the Multi is a lot less of an adventure bike and a lot more of a street bike. Um yeah, all roads, (but we mean the paved ones).

Thanks for the review!
Ah....and one of those who I warned to avert their eyes has arisen, torch in hand, to roast the Monkey. I say...BRING IT ON!!!!

Posing on a Multi?!?! First time I've ever heard someone try to attach "posing" to the Mutley. I don't pose, I just ride the thing. And I don't wear leather (sorry to disappoint you..... :ymca ). Oh, and I don't like sport bikes, so I don't own one.

No wheelie attempt. Checking for drive line lash. Found it.

I saw a few posts recently of the "can't decide which bike to buy" type, so I figured I'd toss in my 2 bananas on the Tenere. Hopefully it will help someone out, especially someone who is considering buying soon because that deal is smokin'. No affiliation with the shop, just passing on some savings to the brotherhood.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 PM   #12906
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Ah....and one of those who I warned to avert their eyes has arisen, torch in hand, to roast the Monkey. I say...BRING IT ON!!!!

Posing on a Multi?!?! First time I've ever heard someone try to attach "posing" to the Mutley. I don't pose, I just ride the thing. And I don't wear leather (sorry to disappoint you..... :ymca ). Oh, and I don't like sport bikes, so I don't own one.

No wheelie attempt. Checking for drive line lash. Found it.

I saw a few posts recently of the "can't decide which bike to buy" type, so I figured I'd toss in my 2 bananas on the Tenere. Hopefully it will help someone out, especially someone who is considering buying soon because that deal is smokin'. No affiliation with the shop, just passing on some savings to the brotherhood.

-SM
Bananas accepted.... I'm too stoopid to be offended/notice the driveline lash....
Just like the bike.
Thanks for the heads up on the smokin' deal!
Old 07-10-2012, 07:33 PM   #12907
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,966
Quote:
Bananas accepted.... I'm too stoopid to be offended/notice the driveline lash....
Just like the bike.
Thanks for the heads up on the smokin' deal!
It's all good. That deal is what prompted me to go check the bike out. I thought daaaaaamn, if it's what I'm lookin' for, I may have to add one to the stable. That's a LOT 'o bike for a little bit o' cash (relatively speaking). Turned out to not be for me, but hopefully another ADV'er can snatch one up. I'm guessing at that price they won't last long......

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:10 PM   #12908
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,753
Thumb 10-4...

Quote:

It's all good...

...Turned out to not be for me...

-SM

And *THAT*, folks... Is why they make different colors... And different styles... And different displacements...

And why companies like Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Triumph, Aprilia, Harley-Davidson, Victory, Ural, Gas Gas, Beta, Sherco, TM, Moto Guzzi, MV Agusta, KTM, Husqvarna, Royal Enfield, etc., etc., etc., even BMW... Oh, and Ducati...

Are all still in business out there making different motorsicles!!!

Dallara

p.s. just for the record I own a Ducati along with my Super Tenere and a couple of others, too...
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 06:00 AM
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:00 PM   #12909
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,014
I don't know what bike couldn't be completely summed up in a 15 minute test ride.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #12910
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,339
Quote:
......... I'm too stoopid to be offended/notice the driveline lash....
Just like the bike.
This is kinda where I am at. This driveline lash thing. I've been riding for 40 years and have no problem with (or even noticed) it. I get on a new bike and just accept that it is going to be different from the last one and just get on with it. After a short while I get used to a bikes idiosyncrasies and just ride it without paying too much attention to whether it does this or that better that XYZ bike.

I just know it will lug SWMBO and I, with luggage, around all day, in safety, on most surfaces, with a bit of fun thrown in for good measure. But this is what I thought it was designed for.

But then obviously I obviously fall in to the 'stooopid' category too because I do not want it to ride like an R1 or a WR250.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #12911
swakop_toe

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
This is kinda where I am at. This driveline lash thing. I've been riding for 40 years and have no problem with (or even noticed) it. I get on a new bike and just accept that it is going to be different from the last one and just get on with it. After a short while I get used to a bikes idiosyncrasies and just ride it without paying too much attention to whether it does this or that better that XYZ bike.

I just know it will lug SWMBO and I, with luggage, around all day, in safety, on most surfaces, with a bit of fun thrown in for good measure. But this is what I thought it was designed for.

But then obviously I obviously fall in to the 'stooopid' category too because I do not want it to ride like an R1 or a WR250.
+100
swakop_toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #12912
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
Exactly my point. If Yamaha is going to put "modes" on the bike, make at least one of them "nanny-less" and let the motor rip. People using that mode off-road are taking a risk, sure, but that's their choice. This is where I think Ducati got it right. Big nanny mode (Urban), less nanny mode (Touring), and nannyless full-power-hold-on mode (Sport). Surely Yamaha could have done something similar......

-SM
Yeah, but if you have the Electronically adjustable suspensions dreaded DES failure you can look forward to replacing a $3500 US part. That legendary Ducati reliability.
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:54 AM   #12913
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 444
Hey Sock Monkey, don't worry about the pitch forks yet; there's a S10 gang heading my way with the torches and forks because I called the S10:

"Yamaha's 1200cc version of the KLR650"

I'm in a S10 wittness protection program now. The program is financed by KTM.

As I Tenere' owner I believed it was my responsibility to research a bit about the S 10. I started by looking up the Tenere' Desert. I discovered the literal translation for Tenere' is: "Where there is nothing".

Hmmm. Nuff said.

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK

wfopete screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 04:54 AM
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #12914
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

Bam! This is me. I never noticed driveline lash, but I've never gone to 5k rpm, let off, then cracked the throttle (why would you ever do this in the real world?), I just noticed it's different from my last bike.

I do ride mine a bit like my WR250R though. I should probably tone that down a bit, but it's too damn fun.

The Ducati is a tall street bike, and as such, will have different street manners than the S10.

Overall though, no pitchfork here, it was a fair assessment, and you're alright in my book, just sounds like you're looking for more street oriented than dirt oriented performance.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #12915
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,790
What drive line lash?

It was a lot worse on my GS12. Haven't noticed any on my S10.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote