ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #12916
dl20man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
My mechanic opened my valve clearances to near maximum at the 40 000 km service and this made an astounding difference to how the bike pulls off the bottom. He did not tell me at the time. I noticed the difference on the 300 km ride home. I put it down to new plugs. When I spoke to him later that day after arriving home his first question was if I had noticed a difference on the bottom end which I most clearly had. It was then that he told about the effect of opening up the valve clearances. Interesting that he didn't tell me before I left his workshop so that I wouldn't have it on my mind on the ride home. There is a link to an interesting article on the matter below.

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/comp-...rain-2113.html
dl20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:22 PM   #12917
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,939
Cool2 Back to skid plates for a moment...

~

Not trying to change the subject, but a while back we were discussing various skid plates...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post

...The RumBux *may* weigh more (anybody got any finite measurements?), but if it does it's negligible compared to the bigger, heavier aluminum plates like the AltRider, Hepco & Becker, SW Motech, and yes... Your ACD, too.

Even if the RumBux weighs a pound or two more, the weight is *LOW*, and how much of a difference will that slight weigh gain make on a percentage basis on an Adventure bike that already weighs over 600 lbs (272+ kg), really?

Dallara

And normally I wouldn't *quote* one of my own posts, but in this instance it seems appropriate as I now have my RumBux skid plate here in hand (Thanks, Dirty Bike). And some of you may recall I also have a brand new, never mounted AltRider skid plate here, too. When I got the AltRider I really didn't care for the front mounts attaching to the engine, so I never mounted it, did some research, and decided to order the RumBux.

Lots of folks have speculated that the RumBux, with its steel-tube frame and sheet-steel plate, would be a whole lot heavier than any of the aluminum skid plate solutions. Well, folks, I'm here to tell you that, yes, it is heavier than the AltRider, but maybe not nearly as much as some may have thought.

Today I weighed each of the plate kits, complete with any of their attaching brackets, bolts, nuts, washers, etc., and here's what I found:

AltRider - 9.2 lbs (4.17 kg)

RumBux - 12.6 lbs (5.72 kg)

That's only a 3.4 lbs (1.54 kg) difference in weight. Not much at all when you consider the fact that the RumBux bolts *ONLY* to the motorcycle frame and does *NOT* bolt to the engine or its sump in any way, shape, or form. In addition to that the nice, looping side bars on the RumBux "frame" provide what appears to be terrific protection for the water pump housing on the right side and the stator cover on the left. This is something IMHO most all of the other skid plate manufacturers have sort of ignored. Leave to those wily South Africans to come with something well and truly tough and protective...

I said I would wait until I had both the RumBux and the AltRider here on the ground before I made up my mind which one I would mount up. Well, now the decision is made... The RumBux is going on my bike, and the AltRider is going up for sale.

Just FYI...

Now, back to the "well, you may not the Super Tenere but I do" debate.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #12918
anodyne
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
Quote:
~
I said I would wait until I had both the RumBux and the AltRider here on the ground before I made up my mind which one I would mount up. Well, now the decision is made... The RumBux is going on my bike, and the AltRider is going up for sale.

~
Cool. So at this point there has not been any damage reported (other than damage to plate) using either the RumBux or Altrider plate? Quite a few installed Altrider plates at this point I would suspect? Thanks.

anodyne screwed with this post 07-11-2012 at 10:07 PM
anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:58 AM   #12919
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by dl20man View Post
My mechanic opened my valve clearances to near maximum at the 40 000 km service and this made an astounding difference to how the bike pulls off the bottom. He did not tell me at the time. I noticed the difference on the 300 km ride home. I put it down to new plugs. When I spoke to him later that day after arriving home his first question was if I had noticed a difference on the bottom end which I most clearly had. It was then that he told about the effect of opening up the valve clearances. Interesting that he didn't tell me before I left his workshop so that I wouldn't have it on my mind on the ride home. There is a link to an interesting article on the matter below.

http://www.cpgnation.com/forum/comp-...rain-2113.html

Oldest trick in the book; he effectively retarded your cam timing. The question is now, how much did he open up your clearances? For all you know your valve lash is out of factory spec.

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT: TAT SHAK

ARA - Adventure Riders of Arkansas
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #12920
dl20man
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
No problems there. Clearances are fine. He described and showed me the clearances he used (he keeps written records of all work) and that the valves should be fine for at least 60 000 km. Just didn't explain the consequences so that I had no preconceptions. I have been using him for 10 years. Highly professional, careful and thorough.
dl20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #12921
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,717
Talking a little off line about skid plates...I like the Hepco still.. Mounts to the frame...doesn't feel heavy Though I might have timed myself last time I took it off...I didn't weigh it.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #12922
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,286
I like mine alot, easy off and on for oil changes. I did weight the package before the install last year, 11 lbs.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #12923
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Yeah. It's the best.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #12924
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I'm quite sure the hepco plate mounts to the motor in the front. Have a pic of the front mount?

I'm seriously considering it though. It's my favorite plate, but once you add good crash bars, you're within $100 of the rumbux setup. So that has me torn.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:17 AM   #12925
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Hepco & Becker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Talking a little off line about skid plates...I like the Hepco still.. Mounts to the frame...doesn't feel heavy Though I might have timed myself last time I took it off...I didn't weigh it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I'm quite sure the hepco plate mounts to the motor in the front. Have a pic of the front mount?

Sure looks like the Hepco & Becker mounts to the front of the engine to me...

I could be wrong, though... I don't have one here.

Dallara

~

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Old 07-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #12926
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Sorta right.

The bottom points all mount to the frame...but I DID forget that the top part has a bar that runs throught that thingy. Yeah...the bottom though, no, not at all...all those points that ferflacktata the sump are free of mounts.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #12927
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Rear Frame Mounts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Sorta right.

The bottom points all mount to the frame...but I DID forget that the top part has a bar that runs throught that thingy. Yeah...the bottom though, no, not at all...all those points that ferflacktata the sump are free of mounts.

The AltRider, SW Motech, and several others all mount to the bike's frame at the rear of the plate. The problem is that all these plates, and more, all mount at the front to the engine in some way. Either through those same bosses the Hepco & Becker does, through the small front sump tabs, or some combination of both. Problem with this is that all those points are fragile cast aluminum... fairly easy to fracture... and if it does fracture it opens a hole in the cases or sump.

That's the problem.

OTOH, the RideOnADV plate, the RumBux, and the up and coming ACD plate all mount completely to the frame, rear *AND* front, with no attachment either to the fragile engine cases or sump.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~

Old 07-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #12928
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:
The AltRider, SW Motech, and several others all mount to the bike's frame at the rear of the plate. The problem is that all these plates, and more, all mount at the front to the engine in some way. Either through those same bosses the Hepco & Becker does, through the small front sump tabs, or some combination of both. Problem with this is that all those points are fragile cast aluminum... fairly easy to fracture... and if it does fracture it opens a hole in the cases or sump.

That's the problem.

OTOH, the RideOnADV plate, the RumBux, and the up and coming ACD plate all mount completely to the frame, rear *AND* front, with no attachment either to the fragile engine cases or sump.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~
Nice summary! +1!
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 03:30 PM   #12929
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,498
Here you are a list of all (I think) skid plates for the S10 with the most important specs (weight, ground clearance, mounting...)
Help me to fill the missing specs or correct the errors.

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....63&postcount=1
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #12930
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 804
Dallara is correct about the HB mounting to the engine in the front. So what! Let me know when someone breaks that part of the engine. The guy that recently smashed the HB smashed it guud and the one thing that held up was that mounting point. So guud that that the plate bent bent back and up. So much so that the oil filter was bent but not broken. If the oil filter was broken that would have been the end of that ride. Is the Rux a very good plate YES. Is it the only plate NO. Some riders (me) will never smash their plate to an extreme as we have seen. Is there only one plate to be had YES. The one you choose, unless it is the OEM offered plate.

I have not made my decision for a plate but the two I am considering is the HB and Rux.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote