Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #12976
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Just for the record... I don't think I've ever said one plate was the "best". ~
Just for the record... I never said you said one plate was the best.

I do appreciate the information you have posted about the plates.

You did mention the top three almost four plates. What about the prices of these plates. Dollar don't count when it comes to protection but it does count when the human is involved.

The Spanish plates looks good. I will wait to see the finished product and price.

USA, South Africa, Germany, Spain, are the countries of the four plates mentioned. Globally diverse.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #12977
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,709
Cool2 Prices...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Just for the record... I never said you said one plate was the best.

I do appreciate the information you have posted about the plates.

You did mention the top three almost four plates. What about the prices of these plates. Dollar don't count when it comes to protection but it does count when the human is involved.

The Spanish plates looks good. I will wait to see the finished product and price.

USA, South Africa, Germany, Spain, are the countries of the four plates mentioned. Globally diverse.

It's certainly easy enough for anybody to look these up, but if memory serves, the plates I mentioned are priced approx. as follows:

1.) RideOnADV - Jaxon does sort of a "custom-to-order" deal on his plates, but I think they start at $600, IIRC, but I could be wrong. (Don't know if this includes shipping)
2.) RumBux - Available right here from member Dirty Bike, and I believe the skid-plate-only option is $450 (I believe this price includes 48-state shipping)
3.) Hepco & Becker - I believe the going price for their skid plate is about $375 (plus shipping)

And just so I don't leave it out, IIRC the AltRider plate goes for $360 (plus shipping).

I have no idea about the ACD plate as it is not even in production yet.

I do hope Dirty Bike and Tabasco (Jaxon) will chime in here to give the current correct price and shipping info on the RumBux and RideONADV plates. I can tell you their service and communication are exemplary. I've done business with both, and we're lucky to have 'em in the Super Tenere community!

Hope that helps!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 09:30 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #12978
protondecay123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 466
Quote:

I do hope Dirty Bike and Tabasco (Jaxon) will chime in here to give the current correct price and shipping info on the RumBux and RideONADV plates. I can tell you their service and communication are exemplary. I've done business with both, and we're lucky to have 'em in the Super Tenere community!
+1

My experience with both as well. Exemplary!
What a Long, Strange Trip it's Been!
protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #12979
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
I'm going to take my bike from ACD hedquarters this afternoon. Hope I can tell you news about their new only frame mounted skid plate.

Man, I've got plans for that thing if it makes it to production. I like that plate!

Any errors in spelling or syntax are because I posted this from a telephone - cut me some frikin' slack.
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #12980
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 419
I don't wonder, it seems pretty plain that Yamaha took a street bike motor (and likely a chassis) and "adapted" it to a weak off road theme, AKA Super Tenere'. As a result you get a bike with crappy off road ergo's and terrible component placement. I would like to know more about the S10 development and how it came to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:47 PM   #12981
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,709
Question What was the name of that bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
I don't wonder, it seems pretty plain that Yamaha took a street bike motor (and likely a chassis) and "adapted" it to a weak off road theme, AKA Super Tenere'. As a result you get a bike with crappy off road ergo's and terrible component placement. I would like to know more about the S10 development and how it came to be.

I'm sorry... I've forgotten.

What was the name of that production adventure/dual-sport bike that *YOU* designed, developed, put into production, and sold in large numbers?

You know... The one where all those ADVrider forum posters just kept posting over and over, "Wow, that bike that wfopete designed and built, it's just perfect!" You got the links to any of those posts, wtfpete?

Thanks!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 07-13-2012 at 08:43 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #12982
poppawheelie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoBill View Post
Thanks, all good, sometimes I just need the collective.
PM'd you on the Tenere. I'm close, if you decide you want to sell.

"It's not the destination. It's the journey." Me
poppawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #12983
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Suggestion for you, wfopete. Buy a KTM and be happy..then you can hang out at the KTM forums and complain about reliability and street performance.

As many times as it has been explained to you, you still don't understand the purpose of this bike and persist with trying to mentally force it into a 100% dirt machine category for some crazy reason that only you seem to understand.

This bike is an all-rounder which means there is compromise, yet it manages to have better off road performance than anything in its category accept for the KTM which is obviously a more dirt-biased machine. If you get some spare time, you might want to check out the wild dogs website where they took the Super Tenere off road in Zambia and its frame and suspension held up very well (better than the HP2's on the trip that broke their frames and couldn't finish)....or maybe the very positive review from Ryan Dudek...or you could just ignore all that, as you normally do, and continue to come to this forum to dump negative drivel about such piddley items as switch gear and other insignificant wanks that you choose to blow up to 300X their true size or importance.

Very interesting to note that we haven't had one documented instance of switch gear failure to date, don't you think? If you want tougher hand gaurds, they are available. My last bike was considered more dirt worthy than the XT1200Z, but only came with plastic brush guards with no rienforcement, so why would you expect something akin to Backbusters to come standard on the the S10?

Stop torturing yourself already, Pete. The next time you go out and are looking at the bike thinkin 'oh my god, the switch gear and hand guards!' just jump on the bike and ride it to the nearest KTM dealer where you can solve all of these 'shortcomings.'

I mean really...what is the point of owning a bike you don't like, then trying to convince satisfied owners to think the same way?
Old 07-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #12984
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,704
Don't feed the trolls. It only makes them come back.
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:06 PM   #12985
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Hmmm! I had to sell my S10 (due to health and orthopedic issues), and find your post most curious!

Stick with your 50 cc scooters and your Yugo, Bro.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #12986
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 746
Just to answer the question, current pricing on Rumbux crash bars/skid plates is as follows:

Full Set of Three Piece Rumbux crash bar - Lower crash bars, skid plate, upper hoop frame - $750

Lower only with skid plate - $450

OEM add on upper bars that replace the Yamaha upper hoop and add side protection - $350

Light brackets - $45 ($40 if with any other order)

The Lower only unit with skid plate appears to be easy to combine with most other upper crash bars, with the possible exception being the Hepco Becker, which may have an interference issue at the front right bracket mount.

FWIW - I need one more order to initiate the next Rumbux build. If you're thinking about it, call me and we can talk about it or PM/email me and I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. These are some of the best protection out there and you'll never know it's there from a weight stand point. It's so well balanced.

I can also get GS1200 soft Pannier brackets if anyone needs them. You S10 guys just flip your grab handles over and you're good.

All prices include shipping to your door.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #12987
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,860
Quote:
I think they started with a lot of drive line lash and worked backwards from there.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #12988
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,911
Quote:
I don't wonder, it seems pretty plain that Yamaha took a street bike motor (and likely a chassis) and "adapted" it to a weak off road theme, AKA Super Tenere'.
No.
That picture is from Luca Bar who runs a website / company called Bar Design who did a photochop after a shaft drive patent filing was found, read about it here.

Quote:
New patents, revolving around the Tenere's shaft drive system, show it fitted to a faired road bike. Although these bare outlines show no detail, and may be there just as a generic representation of a motorcycle, it wouldn't be totally unimaginable for Yamaha to make such a machine.
The Tenere itself is marketed and clean sheet designed by YAMAHA itself as an all ROAD Adventure Tourer for the average person to take over many ROADS, good and bad, over long distances in reasonable comfort, who might occasionally find themselves dealing with crappy conditions. Very similar to the GS concept but more predictable on dirt ROADS / pea gravel. It is just as predictable in mud and sand. (It will probably be a handful and fall over)

They sell other bikes for MX work, trails etc. It was never meant to be a KTM because frankly there is already a KTM.

It's not exactly a GS/A because there is already a GS/A and it's not a WR400F, XT660Z or a Husaberg because they already exist. Nor is it a YZFR1 or a CBXGIXERRRRR.

The people who want to do a high percentage of off road spend the money accordingly to optimize the bike a bit more for that use and their personal preferences with their own selection of aftermarket / YAMAHA brand accessories.

Like this guy with new wheels / brakes / suspension / seat / bars / ECU reflash / ABS removed.

Where you got the idea it was a dirt bike from the factory maybe from the fact that it is a pretty friendly Adventure Tourer off road and people tend to explore the limits a bit.

A good example of what it was designed to be would from the factory be Nick Sanders trip and Davide Biga's RTW trip.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:22 AM   #12989
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Did you see the videos I post in the Super Ténéré Forum? I think the ST off road skills are quite obvious in there. But is easier say the bike can’t instead the rider can’t.

I’ve got no idea what the development of this bike was, but if the engine could be in a road bike I don’t see the problem. You can see the KTM engine in road bikes but it works great in the Adventure for example.

Must be sad spend lot of money in a bike and then realize you don’t like it. I’m feeling sorry for you
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #12990
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by creggur View Post
Man, I've got plans for that thing if it makes it to production. I like that plate!
Hope in three weeks have the final prototype, so imagine in a month could be in production.
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote