Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #12991
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Suggestion for you, wfopete. Buy a KTM and be happy..then you can hang out at the KTM forums and complain about reliability and street performance.

As many times as it has been explained to you, you still don't understand the purpose of this bike and persist with trying to mentally force it into a 100% dirt machine category for some crazy reason that only you seem to understand.

This bike is an all-rounder which means there is compromise, yet it manages to have better off road performance than anything in its category accept for the KTM which is obviously a more dirt-biased machine. If you get some spare time, you might want to check out the wild dogs website where they took the Super Tenere off road in Zambia and its frame and suspension held up very well (better than the HP2's on the trip that broke their frames and couldn't finish)....or maybe the very positive review from Ryan Dudek...or you could just ignore all that, as you normally do, and continue to come to this forum to dump negative drivel about such piddley items as switch gear and other insignificant wanks that you choose to blow up to 300X their true size or importance.

Very interesting to note that we haven't had one documented instance of switch gear failure to date, don't you think? If you want tougher hand gaurds, they are available. My last bike was considered more dirt worthy than the XT1200Z, but only came with plastic brush guards with no rienforcement, so why would you expect something akin to Backbusters to come standard on the the S10?

Stop torturing yourself already, Pete. The next time you go out and are looking at the bike thinkin 'oh my god, the switch gear and hand guards!' just jump on the bike and ride it to the nearest KTM dealer where you can solve all of these 'shortcomings.'

I mean really...what is the point of owning a bike you don't like, then trying to convince satisfied owners to think the same way?
+10,000 Very satisfied with my S10!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:16 AM   #12992
creggur
There are no curves here.

Oddometer: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Did you see the videos I post in the Super Ténéré Forum? I think the ST off road skills are quite obvious in there. But is easier say the bike can’t instead the rider can’t.
I've ridden my Tenere off road more in six months than I'd expected to in two years. I hadn't ridden a motorcycle in the dirt in nearly 25 years.

While my off-roading isn't even on the same planet as yours (fire roads, a bit of sand and gravel) it's nice to see what the bike CAN do in extreme conditions with the right pilot.

I'm having fun with my entry-level off-roading, and it's more fun in the street than I'd imagined it would be!

Any errors in spelling or syntax are because I posted this from a telephone - cut me some frikin' slack.
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
If you calculated the money spent versus time actually used, vaginas cost more per hour than the space shuttle.
creggur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:41 AM   #12993
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I think they started with a lot of drive line lash and worked backwards from there.
Pluric has the best sense of humor on the forum Love it

There is always someone with buyers remorse. Its easier to say what were they thinking instead of what was "I" thinking. Most all of us got exactly the bike we were looking for. Some did not. Graham gave a good description

The Tenere itself is marketed and clean sheet designed by YAMAHA itself as an all ROAD Adventure Tourer for the average person to take over many ROADS, good and bad, over long distances in reasonable comfort, who might occasionally find themselves dealing with crappy conditions. Very similar to the GS concept but more predictable on dirt ROADS / pea gravel. It is just as predictable in mud and sand. (It will probably be a handful and fall over

I think those of us that bought this bike with the definition Graham gave are the happiest with our choice. All Roads Adventure Tourer.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #12994
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Laugh Give that man a Ceeeeeeeeeee-Gar!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
Pluric has the best sense of humor on the forum Love it

Hard to argue with that one! I wholeheartedly agree!

Quote:
I think those of us that bought this bike with the definition Graham gave are the happiest with our choice. All Roads Adventure Tourer.

Amen, Bruddah! Amen!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #12995
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
The problem here has nothing to do with the bike, (or any bike), it's simple really. Pete doesn't have enough money.

Many of us suffer from this problem. We can't justify or have the storage for, or simply pay for the dozen or so bikes that would each fill a perfect niche for every type of riding conditions we may want. A WR250R to unload on site and have awesome short day rides off road in NPs, the Gixxer 750 for those private runs on the tail of the dragon when you've paid to have the road closed so you don't have to worry about errant semis or other bikes in the way, the Aprilla Tuono for solo hooligan-esqe rides, the HD Ultra for the slow mosey with the SO on the back, the Ural Patrol 2WD for exploring that knarley track off the Cassier with your favorite dog & fishing gear in the hack since the SO wanted to shop for fudge instead of explore, etc. The bikes would change for each of us, but there's always something that's not quite right with any bike. That's why we personalize them, to make it suit our individual needs and tastes.

Nothing wrong with the occasional whine and moan about why did they do this? But at some point you either change it to work for you, or stfu and move on.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:31 AM   #12996
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Laugh Whine or beer... Or a good single malt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Nothing wrong with the occasional whine and moan about why did they do this? But at some point you either change it to work for you, or stfu and move on.

Can I have another Amen, Chil'ren!

Amen, Dirty Bike! Amen!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #12997
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
The Tenere itself is marketed and clean sheet designed by YAMAHA itself as an all ROAD Adventure Tourer for the average person to take over many ROADS, good and bad, over long distances in reasonable comfort, who might occasionally find themselves dealing with crappy conditions.
I love my Tenere, and use it for All ROADS:

Now, back to talking about those skid plates!
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #12998
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
...Nothing wrong with the occasional whine and moan about why did they do this? But at some point you either change it to work for you, or stfu and move on.

I just wish I had one to whine and moan about...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #12999
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I love my Tenere, and use it for All ROADS:

Man, put some knobs on that thing!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #13000
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I just wish I had one to whine and moan about...

Get you one! I am having a blast on mine. It has made a great replacement for my KTM 990 for the type of riding I do here in Texas. I found that in the environment where the KTM was better than the Tenere I was still wanting a lighter more well suited bike. KTM was a great bike but Tenere works for me much better.
dejr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #13001
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
Man, put some knobs on that thing!!!!!
In due time! But yes, sooner rather than later (only 1000 or so miles left in these tires). But if I go knobs, then I really will need that skid plate. And if I do a skid plate I should do the crash bars.
And now my tire change just cost me a fricken thousand dollars.
Old 07-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #13002
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,158
You really just need the bash plate, knock on wood, but I just got back from Alaska and no crash bars. The OEM bumpers work pretty well on pavement from some youtube videos. I am conservative offroad, well most of the time.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #13003
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
I

Speaking of....... Have I got a deal for the S10 community. A genuine Yamaha OEM
skid plate. Yes it mounts to the rear sump area unlike those pricey poser bash plates
that seem to be popping up all over.

In a very recent survey 100% of the respondents prefered the sump mounted skid plates.

Okay, so the only people available for the survey were my two year old grand child and
my mother in-law.

In fairness to the survey she does own a Yamaha,

She's really cute,

And has a strong back ground with Power Wheels. I'm going with expert witness on her.

I will admit my mother-in-law was not as committed and even a bit hard to understand
but I put her down as a Yes. So there you have it. 100% support for the Yamaha plate.

Now that the whole frame mount vs sump mount has been put to rest let's move on.

I present to you a charming example of Yamaha's factory recommended engine protection system.

I know, be still your beating hearts. When your friends ask you how you dented it up just
look them in the eye, cross your fingers and say "Hit a submerged log crossing a gator infested river"

You born again Christian types that may want less embellishment may try "Combo chuck hole speed bump
in the Walmat parking lot". "Barely lived to tell about it"

I will ship it in the same wrapping as that POS Altrider plate came in so your mailman will think
you paid top dollar!

But wait, there's more!!!.... for just seperate handling and shipping charges I will include this
beautuful gourmet set of dining utinsels for four.

PM me your offers. I'm an honest person and will not consider offers over manufacturers mrsp.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #13004
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 397
This pete d-bag is the same troll that did this same thing on the STen forum. He won't be back, he's likely not an owner of one of these bikes, etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:33 PM   #13005
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
I am conservative offroad, well most of the time.
I am not, and I'm not big enough to save this bike once it starts to tip.

You're right though, the crash bars can wait. Buuuut, I'm contemplating the Rumbux system, which means I'd buy them together. Or the H&B Plate and SWM Bars, then I could buy them separate (and save $100). Aww dammit this question again.

Nevermind! Ride On!