Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #13021
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
PM'd you on the Tenere. I'm close, if you decide you want to sell.
Just sent you a PM...I've decided to sell.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #13022
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
But the question then still remains...

If you dislike the Super Tenere so much, and think it is so poorly designed, so poorly engineered, so poorly developed, so poorly executed, etc., etc., etc....

Then why are you here?

The most obvious answer is you're just a troll, but I'd love to hear you describe your reasons.

http://www.wavlist.com/soundfx/014/cricket-2.wav

Dallara
But he is right in the fact that YAMAHA could have resurrected the "Dakar homologation" Tenere of old and gone for a small market at a big price. BUT YAMAHA knows from experience that people will not pay KTM/BMW dollars for a bike from lowly YAMAHA regardless of how good it is. YAMAHA would have to come up with something so mind bogingly obviously amazing for the price that they would loose money hand over fist on each one.

That is not what most companies are in business for.

And YAMAHA in the 90's were doing "transformer bikes" as concepts. I am sure after 20 years they could manage something just as wanky.

However, why Mr Pete has his knickers in such a twist when he could modify the bike exactly the way he wants and still probably come out with change from an equivalent "Euro Brand" I don't know?

That's the way it is over here. $5-$8K can get me a lot of farkling MY WAY. Except for the multi way electronic adjustable Ducwagon Ohlins suspension. That is something I don't think I could get hold of. Not that I think there is a huge amount of value FOR ME in that.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 08:20 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #13023
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
The Tenere’ is one of those bikes that doesn’t work well because of itself; it works well in spite of itself.

It also proves that you can probably take any street bike out there throw a 6-gallon fuel tank on it and call it an Adventure Touring bike. Re-branding is a great way to move product. It not that the bike is that bad for it’s purpose (a commuter bike you don’t have to feel bad if you don’t wash it), it’s just that it could have been so much more if Yamaha wanted. Instead Yamaha saw a big “Wanna-be-like-those-BMW-guys” type of market in the USA and filled the bill with the S10. If they had built the bike to it’s off road potential they probably wouldn’t have sold 1/10th of the bikes. Not because of price but because it wouldn’t appeal to such a wide range of wanna be’s.

So quick, before you buy your next aftermarket band-aid for this street bike, hoist a full, frosty mug of S10 Kool-Aid boys and enjoy your ride on your All Roads Adventure Touring (whatever that means) super bike.
Say what??? The Tenere " works well not because of itself but in SPITE of itself" ,you say??? That means what,if anything ? It works WELL,we agree apparently, all I want.Wanna worry about a brand's 'self" buy a beemer. Works better than the GS12 I had ( doing a LOT of western dirt, NO "commuting") at a lot smaller price. Hasn't broke either,unlike that Bavarian thing.

roarin calhoun screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 08:26 PM
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #13024
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
The Tenere’ is one of those bikes that doesn’t work well because of itself; it works well in spite of itself.

It also proves that you can probably take any street bike out there throw a 6-gallon fuel tank on it and call it an Adventure Touring bike. Re-branding is a great way to move product. It not that the bike is that bad for it’s purpose (a commuter bike you don’t have to feel bad if you don’t wash it), it’s just that it could have been so much more if Yamaha wanted. Instead Yamaha saw a big “Wanna-be-like-those-BMW-guys” type of market in the USA and filled the bill with the S10. If they had built the bike to it’s off road potential they probably wouldn’t have sold 1/10th of the bikes. Not because of price but because it wouldn’t appeal to such a wide range of wanna be’s.

So quick, before you buy your next aftermarket band-aid for this street bike, hoist a full, frosty mug of S10 Kool-Aid boys and enjoy your ride on your All Roads Adventure Touring (whatever that means) super bike.
Small dick. Big ego. No clue, dude.

He rides a Chinese made, 50 cc, scooter that scares him to death.

"Pocket Pool", is his preferred sport, and he's losing.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #13025
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
I hit the 600 mile mark, and completed stage 1 of farkling today.

Should make my jacked up street bike with a big fuel tank a little more practical.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #13026
AndrewT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedxt View Post
Explain.....you are getting crash bars from ride on that you helped design?

Joe
My bad; the crash bars are AltRider and the skid plate is semicustom.
AndrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #13027
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,020
Quote:

Keep casting.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #13028
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,784
You Tenere owners are become more protective of your bikes than the fabled BMW owners you bag all the time.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #13029
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
You Tenere owners are become more protective of your bikes than the fabled BMW owners you bag all the time.
'Cause it's a better bike Dammit!!!!!

Just because the new kid gets it's guts punched out by big bully journalists doesn't mean anything

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #13030
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?

Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
'Cause it's a better bike Dammit!!!!!

Just because the new kid gets it's guts punched out by big bully journalists doesn't mean anything

+1
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #13031
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Keep casting.
Don't have to, they're already jumping into the damn boat.

Of course with the S10 I still have plenty of cheap bait left over for more!

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #13032
cobrat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 195
Full disclosure -- I ride a 950ADV that I love and won't be parting with....

Test rode a ST yesterday and I have to say, I was VERY impressed. Smooth, quiet, comfortable with just enough power (well, almost). It handled the short (street only) ride very well and I felt immediatly comfortable and felt as though I could ride it all day. Nice ali side cases also.

I like it much more than the Multi1200 I just sold, and I believe it compares very favorably to the GS/GSA and at a much lower price point.

The suspension felt a little soft to me, very plush for the street though.

All in all, I see where you fellas are coming from. This is a sweet bike, probably better for the street than gravel, but competent none the less. Destined to be a classic ADV bike.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #13033
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #13034
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:

Of course with the S10 I still have plenty of cheap bait left over for more!

Yeah, and that's why you dropped 14K on a new one, right? You sound like one those fish that has name beginning with S.... Come clean, WFOOpetey,..do you even own a Tenere?...If so, how much off road have you actually ridden once you put that whopping 200 street miles on it?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #13035
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Yeah, and that's why you dropped 14K on a new one, right? You sound like one those fish that has name beginning with S.... Come clean, WFOOpetey,..do you even own a Tenere?...If so, how much off road have you actually ridden once you put that whopping 200 street miles on it?
Actually is was $13k and:

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...;topicseen#new

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote