ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #13021
MoBill
Smiles when says dat
 
MoBill's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Oddometer: 13,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppawheelie View Post
PM'd you on the Tenere. I'm close, if you decide you want to sell.
Just sent you a PM...I've decided to sell.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:11 PM   #13022
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
But the question then still remains...

If you dislike the Super Tenere so much, and think it is so poorly designed, so poorly engineered, so poorly developed, so poorly executed, etc., etc., etc....

Then why are you here?

The most obvious answer is you're just a troll, but I'd love to hear you describe your reasons.

http://www.wavlist.com/soundfx/014/cricket-2.wav

Dallara
But he is right in the fact that YAMAHA could have resurrected the "Dakar homologation" Tenere of old and gone for a small market at a big price. BUT YAMAHA knows from experience that people will not pay KTM/BMW dollars for a bike from lowly YAMAHA regardless of how good it is. YAMAHA would have to come up with something so mind bogingly obviously amazing for the price that they would loose money hand over fist on each one.

That is not what most companies are in business for.

And YAMAHA in the 90's were doing "transformer bikes" as concepts. I am sure after 20 years they could manage something just as wanky.

However, why Mr Pete has his knickers in such a twist when he could modify the bike exactly the way he wants and still probably come out with change from an equivalent "Euro Brand" I don't know?

That's the way it is over here. $5-$8K can get me a lot of farkling MY WAY. Except for the multi way electronic adjustable Ducwagon Ohlins suspension. That is something I don't think I could get hold of. Not that I think there is a huge amount of value FOR ME in that.
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 08:20 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #13023
roarin calhoun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
The Tenere’ is one of those bikes that doesn’t work well because of itself; it works well in spite of itself.

It also proves that you can probably take any street bike out there throw a 6-gallon fuel tank on it and call it an Adventure Touring bike. Re-branding is a great way to move product. It not that the bike is that bad for it’s purpose (a commuter bike you don’t have to feel bad if you don’t wash it), it’s just that it could have been so much more if Yamaha wanted. Instead Yamaha saw a big “Wanna-be-like-those-BMW-guys” type of market in the USA and filled the bill with the S10. If they had built the bike to it’s off road potential they probably wouldn’t have sold 1/10th of the bikes. Not because of price but because it wouldn’t appeal to such a wide range of wanna be’s.

So quick, before you buy your next aftermarket band-aid for this street bike, hoist a full, frosty mug of S10 Kool-Aid boys and enjoy your ride on your All Roads Adventure Touring (whatever that means) super bike.
Say what??? The Tenere " works well not because of itself but in SPITE of itself" ,you say??? That means what,if anything ? It works WELL,we agree apparently, all I want.Wanna worry about a brand's 'self" buy a beemer. Works better than the GS12 I had ( doing a LOT of western dirt, NO "commuting") at a lot smaller price. Hasn't broke either,unlike that Bavarian thing.

roarin calhoun screwed with this post 07-14-2012 at 08:26 PM
roarin calhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #13024
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon
 
Stromdog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: St. Pete, FL
Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
The Tenere’ is one of those bikes that doesn’t work well because of itself; it works well in spite of itself.

It also proves that you can probably take any street bike out there throw a 6-gallon fuel tank on it and call it an Adventure Touring bike. Re-branding is a great way to move product. It not that the bike is that bad for it’s purpose (a commuter bike you don’t have to feel bad if you don’t wash it), it’s just that it could have been so much more if Yamaha wanted. Instead Yamaha saw a big “Wanna-be-like-those-BMW-guys” type of market in the USA and filled the bill with the S10. If they had built the bike to it’s off road potential they probably wouldn’t have sold 1/10th of the bikes. Not because of price but because it wouldn’t appeal to such a wide range of wanna be’s.

So quick, before you buy your next aftermarket band-aid for this street bike, hoist a full, frosty mug of S10 Kool-Aid boys and enjoy your ride on your All Roads Adventure Touring (whatever that means) super bike.
Small dick. Big ego. No clue, dude.

He rides a Chinese made, 50 cc, scooter that scares him to death.

"Pocket Pool", is his preferred sport, and he's losing.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:47 PM   #13025
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer
 
crazyjeeper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Oddometer: 379
I hit the 600 mile mark, and completed stage 1 of farkling today.



Should make my jacked up street bike with a big fuel tank a little more practical.
__________________
2012 Yamaha Super Tenere, 1997 Honda XR650L, 1985 Honda XR350R, 1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing
crazyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #13026
AndrewT
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Tivoli, TX
Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostedxt View Post
Explain.....you are getting crash bars from ride on that you helped design?

Joe
My bad; the crash bars are AltRider and the skid plate is semicustom.
AndrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #13027
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer
 
pluric's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Salt Lake
Oddometer: 16,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
The Tenere’ is one of those bikes that doesn’t work well because of itself; it works well in spite of itself.

It also proves that you can probably take any street bike out there throw a 6-gallon fuel tank on it and call it an Adventure Touring bike. Re-branding is a great way to move product. It not that the bike is that bad for it’s purpose (a commuter bike you don’t have to feel bad if you don’t wash it), it’s just that it could have been so much more if Yamaha wanted. Instead Yamaha saw a big “Wanna-be-like-those-BMW-guys” type of market in the USA and filled the bill with the S10. If they had built the bike to it’s off road potential they probably wouldn’t have sold 1/10th of the bikes. Not because of price but because it wouldn’t appeal to such a wide range of wanna be’s.

So quick, before you buy your next aftermarket band-aid for this street bike, hoist a full, frosty mug of S10 Kool-Aid boys and enjoy your ride on your All Roads Adventure Touring (whatever that means) super bike.
Keep casting.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:04 AM   #13028
Cruz
Lost but laughing.
 
Cruz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Northside Brisbane, Qld Australia
Oddometer: 5,784
You Tenere owners are become more protective of your bikes than the fabled BMW owners you bag all the time.
__________________
"I reckon it would be good getting a heap of XR's in the one spot and watching a heap of blokes kicking fuck out of there bikes and swearing."

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:13 AM   #13029
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
You Tenere owners are become more protective of your bikes than the fabled BMW owners you bag all the time.
'Cause it's a better bike Dammit!!!!!
























Just because the new kid gets it's guts punched out by big bully journalists doesn't mean anything
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:19 AM   #13030
Lerxstdawg
Wait...what?
 
Lerxstdawg's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Mulgrave, Vic.
Oddometer: 568
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
'Cause it's a better bike Dammit!!!!!
























Just because the new kid gets it's guts punched out by big bully journalists doesn't mean anything

+1
__________________
You should put a handful of your own shit in your mouth and .
- Bender - (he's terrific!)
Lerxstdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:52 AM   #13031
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!
 
wfopete's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere North of Dover, AR
Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Keep casting.
Don't have to, they're already jumping into the damn boat.

Of course with the S10 I still have plenty of cheap bait left over for more!


__________________
Suffer Fools; Gladly!....

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #13032
cobrat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
cobrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Ohio
Oddometer: 195
Full disclosure -- I ride a 950ADV that I love and won't be parting with....

Test rode a ST yesterday and I have to say, I was VERY impressed. Smooth, quiet, comfortable with just enough power (well, almost). It handled the short (street only) ride very well and I felt immediatly comfortable and felt as though I could ride it all day. Nice ali side cases also.

I like it much more than the Multi1200 I just sold, and I believe it compares very favorably to the GS/GSA and at a much lower price point.

The suspension felt a little soft to me, very plush for the street though.

All in all, I see where you fellas are coming from. This is a sweet bike, probably better for the street than gravel, but competent none the less. Destined to be a classic ADV bike.
__________________
950, 690E, 450xcw -- Ride 'em!
cobrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #13033
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
Don't have to, they're already jumping into the damn boat.

__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 AM   #13034
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer
 
tremor38's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Japan
Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
Don't have to, they're already jumping into the damn boat.

Of course with the S10 I still have plenty of cheap bait left over for more!


Yeah, and that's why you dropped 14K on a new one, right? You sound like one those fish that has name beginning with S.... Come clean, WFOOpetey,..do you even own a Tenere?...If so, how much off road have you actually ridden once you put that whopping 200 street miles on it?
__________________
2011 Yamaha XT1200Z
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:57 AM   #13035
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!
 
wfopete's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Somewhere North of Dover, AR
Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Yeah, and that's why you dropped 14K on a new one, right? You sound like one those fish that has name beginning with S.... Come clean, WFOOpetey,..do you even own a Tenere?...If so, how much off road have you actually ridden once you put that whopping 200 street miles on it?
Actually is was $13k and:

http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/ind...;topicseen#new
__________________
Suffer Fools; Gladly!....

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT:

TAT SHAK
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014