Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #13036
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

She's really cute,

Lucky for her she didn't take after her grandpa......

Old 07-15-2012, 07:26 AM   #13037
DaFoole
Born Again Asshole..

Oddometer: 3,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
The Tenere’ is one of those bikes that doesn’t BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
Troll.

Stop feeding it. Suggest all use the ignore button.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:33 AM   #13038
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
You Tenere owners are become more protective of your bikes than the fabled BMW owners you bag all the time.
If you follow these threads you find most S10 owners come from a lot of past motorcycle experience.
Many still have multiple bikes and are well versed on models, displacement and expectations.

It's not a matter of being protective. Thin skin or thick skin all they were asking for is for a troll
to be able to back up whatever they claim to be the problem with the bike. A poster will jump in
make a bold statement as like it is fact yet can't back it up when asked why they feel that way.

I tend to laugh it off and move on. What the trolls don't get is that they really lose any future credibility
should they actually have something worth saying.

Everyone rags on BMW owners. Really though a high percentage of S10 riders have come from or
still own a BMW. Strom and FJR owners seem to be another crowd that find the S10 to their liking.

I guess you are right that we do tend to be kinda protective because most are very happy with the bike.
Kinda like if you were invited to a Playboy party at Hefner's place. I'm sure in the crowd of drooling
giddy guys there would be one that's disappointed with the variety. I'd have to say if he couldn't find
some happiness there maybe women aren't his thing.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #13039
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFoole View Post
Lucky for her she didn't take after her grandpa......

Ya, kinda hard to picture her with a big pot belly.

Not one offer on the Yamaha bash plate. The frame mount crowd has quite a strong lobby out there.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:09 AM   #13040
petepuma
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 325

This guy rode his stock s10 from prudhoe bay to ushuaia and back in 35 days ....seems like one hello of an All Roads ADV Bike.....wish I could afford one....or better still. If you are not happy
With yours ....give it to me

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #13041
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by petepuma View Post

This guy rode his stock s10 from prudhoe bay to ushuaia and back in 35 days ....seems like one hello of an All Roads ADV Bike.....wish I could afford one....or better still. If you are not happy

He has also done it on a Yamaha R1. So that completely proves that the S10 is nothing more than
shaft driven R1.......right?

Oh no, I've just trolled myself.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #13042
ballheadknuckle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
He has also done it on a Yamaha R1. So that completely proves that the S10 is nothing more than
shaft driven R1.......right?

Oh no, I've just trolled myself.
Not really, the R1 seems to work better in sand

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/94...th-a-yamaha-r1
ballheadknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #13043
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballheadknuckle View Post
Not really, the R1 seems to work better in sand

http://www.twowheelsblog.com/post/94...th-a-yamaha-r1
I'm starting to believe a Gold Wing would be better in sand.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:55 AM   #13044
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
You're getting very sleepy................................
dejr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #13045
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by petepuma View Post

He did it 3 times in all. Once for practice and then twice more for a record attempt that he just failed due to a cock up with not being able to re-import his bike through one of the central American (IIRC) countries within such a short period of time.

The only problem he had was a rear shaft oil seal that got tangled up with a loose strap and two fork seals leaking. He was given the bike by Yamaha for the trip and prior to setting off he had not ridden one.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #13046
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejr2000 View Post
Get you one! I am having a blast on mine. It has made a great replacement for my KTM 990 for the type of riding I do here in Texas. I found that in the environment where the KTM was better than the Tenere I was still wanting a lighter more well suited bike. KTM was a great bike but Tenere works for me much better.

It's comforting to see an ex-Orange guy enjoying his Super Tenere. In the months that I've tried to follow a lotta' the S-10 threads, I've seen a lotta' Beemer, 'Strom, and KLR guys...but not a whole lotta' LC-8 guys.

My LC-8 experience wasn't exactly anything to write home to Momma about. I was never really in love with the bike. And, for that, I'll own a lotta' the blame. However, some of the blame must fall on the bike, too. I guess they require a certain kind of owner...and I was not him.

Oh well...to each his own...I'm happy that a lotta' folks love their LC-8s. However, while I enjoyed the edgy hooligan aspect of it, there were several "idiosynchrasies" I just couldn't continue to look-past. (*That last sentence pretty-much describes every Euro bike ownership experience I have ever had.)

One of the first things about the S-10, that appealed to me, was that I couldn't find a "H.O.W.", or an overabundance of "My shit is broke...How can I fix it?" threads. During my "research", all I could seem to find were a lotta' happy dudes just riding the shit outta' their bikes. That spoke volumes to me.

You and I are probably not too far away from each-other. So, I presume we have a lotta' the same riding/roads available to us. Because of all the happy S-10 owners, I'm already about 99.9% sold on it. Any added enthusiasm (yours included) is just serving to make my loan officer (and my wallet) more squeamish...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #13047
dejr2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
You and I are probably not too far away from each-other. So, I presume we have a lotta' the same riding/roads available to us. Because of all the happy S-10 owners, I'm already about 99.9% sold on it. Any added enthusiasm (yours included) is just serving to make my loan officer (and my wallet) more squeamish...

I'm sure a lot of the same. To get any good single track around here you almost have to pay to ride in an OHV park. Not much adventure in that and if I did the 990 was still way too much as is the Tenere. Just about everything else for us is paved or gravel mixed with some dirt two track, Tenere does this well. The balance of on road/ off road manners is great. Fantastic bike and ergos are better out of the box for me as well. All you HAVE to do is ride it. I've added a few farkles along the way but none were absolutely necessary. Don't think you'll regret it.
dejr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #13048
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,713
Thumb Ditto, ditto, ditto...

Quote:
...To get any good single track around here you almost have to pay to ride in an OHV park.

Ditto around here where I'm at...

Quote:
Just about everything else for us is paved or gravel mixed with some dirt two track, Tenere does this well. The balance of on road/ off road manners is great. Fantastic bike and ergos are better out of the box for me as well.

Ditto here again...

Quote:
All you HAVE to do is ride it.

There's the real key. I've had mine less than a year and have nearly 20,000 miles (32,000+ km) and my Super Tenere has essentially been completely trouble-free. I had the cooked headlamp harness issue in the first couple of thousand miles, but the harness was replaced under warranty and since then nothing... *NO* problems, period. Oil, oil filter, and final drive lube changes, put one new OEM paper air filter in at 16,500 miles even though it really didn't need it, replaced the spark plugs at the same time but the originals could have easily gone another 16,000+ miles, and put tires on it and gas in it... That's it. Normal maintenance and checking the spokes.

Mine truly has been the most trouble-free, totally reliable motorcycle I have ever owned.

As you said, "All you have to do is ride it."

Quote:
I've added a few farkles along the way but none were absolutely necessary. Don't think you'll regret it.

Yamaha side cases on mine, an AltRider rear rack, a Parabellum windscreen, a throttle lock cruise control, a Bags Connection electrified gas cap locking collar tank bag set-up, aftermarket rebuilt seat, and wiring for my GPS and radar detector... and soon to be mounted RumBux skid plate.

Oh, and I had the ECU re-flashed with a custom ECUnleashed re-map.

For me that's next to no mods or farkles, but the bike is *THAT* good. It needs almost nothing to get it *right*. I've got a few other things in mind for farkles, but it *REALLY* doesn't have to have anything. It's just great out of the box, and much, much better than any of the BMW's I've owned. Best part about that is when I leave on a few thousand miles trip I don't worry a bit. I know the Super Tenere will bring me home... I never had that kind of feeling of total confidence with the Beemers.

I just bought four more years of the YES Yamaha extended factory warranty for $400 bucks - a no brainer - but then again, I really only bought it because it's a cheap way to add resale value should I have to sell the bike. I really don't have the first worry I will ever need that warranty coverage, and I'm pretty sure I'll keep the S-10 another 4-years as long as my health holds out.

I've owned everything from mini-bikes to a Ducati Desmosedici (which I still have and is awesome in the extreme), but IMHO the Super Tenere really is the best motorcycle I've ever owned - at least for me and my riding.

And that's really all that counts. "All you have to do is ride it."

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 07-15-2012 at 08:22 PM
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #13049
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 337
But some options would be fine ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
~
Agree on most of your remarks Dallara but I wish Yamaha could offer the possibility of front 21" and rear 18" wheels ... plus make the turn signals return to center after a while ... just my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Roberto
Old 07-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #13050
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post

Oh well...to each his own...I'm happy that a lotta' folks love their LC-8s. However, while I enjoyed the edgy hooligan aspect of it, there were several "idiosynchrasies" I just couldn't continue to look-past. (*That last sentence pretty-much describes every Euro bike ownership experience I have ever had.)

I sold my 950SE too, back in November, after 5 years and 25,000 miles. I had a much better experience than you did, but I don't miss it (yet). It never let me down, but the routine maintenance was frequent and time-consuming, although not really difficult. I don't have "riding time", I have "me time". If I'm wrenching, I'm not riding. I won't go there again. Any bike I own from here on out will have maintenance requirements that are less demanding.

Another thing about the LC8 I don't miss is the fact that the riding experience is pure adrenaline: there is no element of relaxation in the riding experience. Maybe I'm just getting old.

I test rode a S10 some months back, and liked it immediately. It didn't take long for it to "click". It made the short list, along with the Stelvio. I won't spring for a Super Ten until I've ridden a Stelvio. Neither of these bikes will require as much down time as the KTM.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote