User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 12:44 AM   #13081
Frostbit1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Octane

It never dawned on me until I sat on the bike on the dealer floor. Staring at me from the little decal below the fuel filler on the tank is "min octane 91"

I can't help but think that many gallons of 87 has been drank by this bike around the globe.

Certainly would have to be where I live. 87 is it, nothing better is available.

Would like to hear your comments.

I did search this thread for info. Appears the bike can handle it. Still, if there are owners that have actually, especially long term, please chime in.

Frostbit1 screwed with this post 07-21-2012 at 12:51 AM
Frostbit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:43 AM   #13082
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
Over here in Australia, your choices outside the big cities are 91RON (87AKI) or diesel.

The bike runs fine on 91RON, but I have never tried it with diesel.

My general rule is run it on 95 / 98 RON because of the cleaning agents, which are better for the long term, but run 91RON (87AKI) when it's available. In the very middle of Australia you can only buy OPAL fuel by law, which is a low fume 91 RON which is still OK.

The only caveat I would put on 87 is at low altitude in hot temps, 100F/40C and over don't lug the engine.

YAMAHA designed the bike to cope, it's just that the premium is safe at any temp, any altitude and any IQ and is generally cleaner.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:53 AM   #13083
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
I run 87 when traveling or riding with my wife. If I think I will pick up the pace with a group ride I will run premium. Have not notice any issues.
Chris618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:59 AM   #13084
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
A colleague has a fork seal problem and the dealer changed with no charges. They said to him the fork seals aren’t covered in guarantee but they did it.
To avoid this problem I installed this fork seals they worked fine in my DRZ.

If i was you,i would keep those things out of the sun.I am on my 2nd pair of those,the 1st pair startes cracking,so they sent me a 2nd pair @ No Charge & told me to put some sun screen on the outsides of them,Which i did (SPF 50)i have had the 2nd pair maybe 2 months & they are starting to crack already.Just saying!!
Old 07-21-2012, 02:21 AM   #13085
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 606
I know of at least one person in South Africa who had to pay for his fork seals whilst under warranty
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #13086
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Does anybody have any experience/thoughts on the touratech screen adjuster?

I have tried the madstad with 3 different screens and it doesn't seem to help at all. If anything it makes it worse because of the amount of air it lets under the screen if you tilt it back any appreciable amount. The only really acceptable setting I found with it mirrored the stock angle so I've removed it. It looks like the touratech doesn't hold the screen out nearly as far as the madstad does.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #13087
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbit1 View Post
I can't help but think that many gallons of 87 has been drank by this bike around the globe.
Been discussed on this and other forums repeatedly. Many report using 87 without problem, but others have reported pinging. The octane required to prevent pinging varies quite a bit depending on circumstances and even the individual bike. You buy premium fuel to prevent pinging in the most challenging circumstances, which are not typically the octane requirements you encounter day-to-day.

My personal take is that on a bike without knock sensors, I'll use what is spec'ed unless it is unavailable. I don't believe there is anything special about the S10 which makes it more/less likely Yamaha has been conservative with their requirements.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #13088
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,751
Question Pinging? When? Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Been discussed on this and other forums repeatedly. Many report using 87 without problem, but others have reported pinging...

- Mark

I try to keep up reading the various Super Tenere forums, both here on ADVrider as well as the others, and I don't ever recall *anyone* ever reporting any pinging or detonation with a Super Tenere regardless of what octane-rating fuel they ran...

Got any links to posts or articles about that, Mark... Or recall which posters reported pinging on 87 octane?

Thanks!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #13089
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,848
I reported the same pinging (more like knocking from hell) months ago when I used low octane fuel.

It could have been a bad batch of gas from an obscure gas station (the only had low octane fuel)

I have used low octane since then without the same knocking and I have also added octane boost at times when gas stations only had low octane fuel.

I will say that the knocking only happened a couple of times, all I can blame is the lower than expected fuel quality rather than a lower than advised octane requirement.

If in doubt use octane boost, when I am I do.

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #13090
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1reddawg View Post
If i was you,i would keep those things out of the sun.I am on my 2nd pair of those,the 1st pair startes cracking,so they sent me a 2nd pair @ No Charge & told me to put some sun screen on the outsides of them,Which i did (SPF 50)i have had the 2nd pair maybe 2 months & they are starting to crack already.Just saying!!
Sun cream!!! not sun!!! I'm in Spain... .
Ok, we'll see
Thanks!
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:43 PM   #13091
Jiri
Jiri

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeper View Post
Does anybody have any experience/thoughts on the touratech screen adjuster?

I have tried the madstad with 3 different screens and it doesn't seem to help at all. If anything it makes it worse because of the amount of air it lets under the screen if you tilt it back any appreciable amount. The only really acceptable setting I found with it mirrored the stock angle so I've removed it. It looks like the touratech doesn't hold the screen out nearly as far as the madstad does.
I have installed the touratech piece recently. I have done close to 3,000 km in one week last week with it, of which i had two days of 900 km each. I was a little surprised by the amount of vibs the thing gets from the bike, but i got used to it ( the vibs get worse due to the gps bracket and a touratech (metal) gps holder - from the weight of it) but i got used to it. Wind buffeting is acceptable, even on the longer rides. So if you ask me if id recommend - i guess id say yes.. :-)

Ride hard, die free :-)
Jiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:29 AM   #13092
Tuska
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
max reserve

whats the biggest number acheived whilst running on reserve...did 62km @100kph tonight on way home. made it !!
Tuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:50 AM   #13093
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuska View Post
whats the biggest number acheived whilst running on reserve...did 62km @100kph tonight on way home. made it !!
I've done around 70kms on reserve around town and still had 2 litres left in the tank when I refilled, but I do get better economy around town than on the highway, especially when running on fumes

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:45 AM   #13094
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,667
Back to Skid Plates

Finally got my Tenere back on the road and am looking into the next skid plate. REALLY leaning towards the Rumbux. Like others on here I still have the question as to if it will fit with my Givi crash bars. I talked to the Rumbux importer and he said he's sold a few to riders that planned on using this combination.

So you must be out there, speak up and let us know the results, please

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:48 AM   #13095
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuska View Post
I ran mine until it started sputtering and the F tripmeter said 50.4 miles (81.3 km). But this was trolling speeds.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote