Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2012, 06:19 AM   #13096
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it

Oddometer: 726
Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Finally got my Tenere back on the road and am looking into the next skid plate. REALLY leaning towards the Rumbux. Like others on here I still have the question as to if it will fit with my Givi crash bars. I talked to the Rumbux importer and he said he's sold a few to riders that planned on using this combination.

So you must be out there, speak up and let us know the results, please
Talk is cheap. I want to see some photos.

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #13097
neil1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
I know of at least one person in South Africa who had to pay for his fork seals whilst under warranty
Two of us at 17000km and 54000km, had to pay for both bikes... but now , good as new, unfortunately both of them the seals were damaged by grit, have ordered the Kriegas from KTM Cape Town, should do the trick.
neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #13098
Waiting
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
As a new Tenere owner...and a fairly new motorcycle rider....is it unusual for fork seals to need replaced? Seems to be a bunch of folks mentioning it!! Is this a defect of the Tenere? I hope not....I'm very happy with my new bike!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:03 AM   #13099
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 955
Fork Seals

No, failed fork seals are not usually a defect. They are a wear item, usually associated with dirt bikes (enduros, motocross) and dual sports used heavily off-road. Many dirt bikes and DS bikes have gators over their fork slider interface for protection from the dirt and grit that they encounter. Street bikes seldom need them.

Since many find the S-10 to be so capable, they are taking it off road more often and in rougher (dirtier) terrain. Hence, some are seeing dirt & grit get past the fork seals and break them down to the point of needing to be replaced - hence the recommendations here for the Kreigas.

So, if you will be off road often, take precautionary measures to protect the fork seals before hand.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 AM   #13100
sscol
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Fork Seals

Remember, if you ride it like a dirt bike you better be prepared to maintain it like a dirt bike.
sscol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #13101
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Clutch Wire Thingy

It has been a while now and was wondering if anyone has noticed any negatives with doing the wire disconnect on the clutch other than the safety and it is faster?
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #13102
GSDonovan
There and back again

Oddometer: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggamster View Post
It has been a while now and was wondering if anyone has noticed any negatives with doing the wire disconnect on the clutch other than the safety and it is faster?
I'm wondering the same I believe I read someone saying their gas mileage went down a bit...and people have said they lost any difference in performance between Sport and Touring modes.

Also, when people make this mod, are you seeing an improvement in power over the Sport mode...or is it only making the touring mode the same as the sport mode?? Anyone know for sure with dyno testing?
GSDonovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:15 AM   #13103
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDonovan View Post
I'm wondering the same I believe I read someone saying their gas mileage went down a bit...and people have said they lost any difference in performance between Sport and Touring modes.

Also, when people make this mod, are you seeing an improvement in power over the Sport mode...or is it only making the touring mode the same as the sport mode?? Anyone know for sure with dyno testing?
Not the same as sport mode - it completely fills in the off-idle hole, and consensus seems to be that it removes the power restrictions in the first 3 gears. Backed up by dyno test here - it's a Euro bike so US might not be exactly the same.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=71

Trevor
Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #13104
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 660
Quote:

Answers to your questions are in this post on the yamahasupertenere.com forum (dyno charts).
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #13105
ggamster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
Not the same as sport mode - it completely fills in the off-idle hole, and consensus seems to be that it removes the power restrictions in the first 3 gears. Backed up by dyno test here - it's a Euro bike so US might not be exactly the same.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=71

Trevor
Trevor thanks for the link. I knew it worked just didn't know if there was a down side?
ggamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 AM   #13106
CBAT
occasional wanderer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Trevor thanks for the link. I knew it worked just didn't know if there was a down side?
Downside: faster rear tire wear and lower fuel economy from loosing right wrist control.

2000 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2012 Yamaha Super Tenere
My Great Divide Ride 2009
Great Divide Part 2
CBAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #13107
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
The down side is that it's SO responsive in lower gears that you have to recalibrate your wrist. Thankfully we have traction control, or many of us would have been dumped on our dumb arses before our brains completed the recalibration... Well, I know I would have.

The other thing is losing T mode - it's nice in bad conditions. Easy solution, pull the mini fuse and return to stock, or fit a switch that makes it easy to get back to stock.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #13108
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 14,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
The down side is that it's SO responsive in lower gears that you have to recalibrate your wrist. Thankfully we have traction control, or many of us would have been dumped on our dumb arses before our brains completed the recalibration... Well, I know I would have.

The other thing is losing T mode - it's nice in bad conditions. Easy solution, pull the mini fuse and return to stock, or fit a switch that makes it easy to get back to stock.
+1...it takes a little more throttle hand discipline to smoothe out the throttle response in bumpy conditions....no more being a slacker...love the mod,,,it's a new bike to me......would like a switch for the bypass.....otherwise, no fuel use issues or anything....this was meant to be
freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #13109
freeflow
get in or go in

Oddometer: 14,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1reddawg View Post
If i was you,i would keep those things out of the sun.I am on my 2nd pair of those,the 1st pair startes cracking,so they sent me a 2nd pair @ No Charge & told me to put some sun screen on the outsides of them,Which i did (SPF 50)i have had the 2nd pair maybe 2 months & they are starting to crack already.Just saying!!
why Kriega would make an outdoor product that is not UV stable is beyond me....
this is good stuff I use on my boat....

freeflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #13110
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,379
Quote:

More answers to your questions:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=68

The right is the clutch switch

jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote