ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #13126
FredBear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I know this is a 2012 thread but....
I did read some(most) of the 876 pages, but couldn't find info I am after.
Have Yamaha actually produced any more bikes other than the original 09/10 production run?
ie is there actually a 2012 manufactured bike? if so any changes? or are they waiting on a 800/900?
is there a 2013 model coming?
I'm in Australia and several of the originals seem to be coming up for 2nd had sale, but no new bikes seem
to be listed. Are there any?

Thx in advance for any info.
FredBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:03 AM   #13127
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBear View Post
I'm in Australia and several of the originals seem to be coming up for 2nd had sale, but no new bikes seem
to be listed. Are there any?

Thx in advance for any info.
All 2010 models AFAIK. Still selling them. Not much has changed though, except the WorldCrosser Kit coming out and a new ECU at some point for some countries.

It's a 2012 thread because the Americans got their slower poverty pack models late.

Australia gets the upmarket fastest ones.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #13128
FredBear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
All 2010 models AFAIK. Still selling them. Not much has changed though, except the WorldCrosser Kit coming out and a new ECU at some point for some countries.

It's a 2012 thread because the Americans got their slower poverty pack models late.

Ok thanks for quick reply.
Bikesales hasn't listed a new one for a while now. And my local yam dealer hasn't had one in stock either.
When I last checked (end 2011) I was told new model coming....but no news so far.
Do you know if dealers can still order them (2010 build) in from Yamaha?
FredBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #13129
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredBear View Post
Ok thanks for quick reply.
Bikesales hasn't listed a new one for a while now. And my local yam dealer hasn't had one in stock either.
When I last checked (end 2011) I was told new model coming....but no news so far.
Do you know if dealers can still order them (2010 build) in from Yamaha?
You'd have to ask a dealer OR YAMAHA direct.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #13130
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post

Have to disagree Graham. SA and you Aussies got the 2010 bikes and - ahem - tested them for Yamaha. There were some minor changes in the 2012s as a result. Nothing major. I don't have the time to go find the lists but they are in the early pages.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #13131
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Also they are still producing the 2012 model for the USA, at least. Our dealer's last two had manufacturing dates of Feb, 2012.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #13132
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz43 View Post
Also they are still producing the 2012 model for the USA, at least. Our dealer's last two had manufacturing dates of Feb, 2012.
It sounds like there have been two batches about six-months apart (June/July 2011 - the PDP batch - and Jan/Feb 2012). I'll be very interested in whether the S10 will have a 2013 model and if so, whether they make any changes, even just color.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 PM   #13133
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
It sounds like there have been two batches about six-months apart (June/July 2011 - the PDP batch - and Jan/Feb 2012). I'll be very interested in whether the S10 will have a 2013 model and if so, whether they make any changes, even just color.

- Mark
Based on the attention my bike received on my trip up to NC/TN last weekend, Yamaha would be silly not to have a 2013 model unless there are a LOT of 2012's left in dealerships. Seems like every time I talked to another rider they asked how I liked it and that they had either test rode one and liked it or were planning on it and that it might be their next bike.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #13134
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Based on the attention my bike received on my trip up to NC/TN last weekend, Yamaha would be silly not to have a 2013 model unless there are a LOT of 2012's left in dealerships. Seems like every time I talked to another rider they asked how I liked it and that they had either test rode one and liked it or were planning on it and that it might be their next bike.
We'll see. The bike is getting good attention, but so are all the big adventure bikes and now there is another formidable competitor in the big Triumph. The new water-cooled boxer is waiting in the wings. If Yamaha does continue production, they are going to have to respond with some changes pretty soon as they're about to have a 90-hp bike when all the competition will be in the 110-140 range. (I'm not preaching that more power is better, just pointing out the competitive realities of the market they're in.)

If they've got 2012's in the warehouse (and reports are they do), I could see a strategy where they coast for now and do a major update for a 2014 model selling sometime in 2013.

- Mark
Old 07-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #13135
bahill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Does anyone know when Yamaha usually announces new model years each year???

bahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #13136
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahill View Post
Does anyone know when Yamaha usually announces new model years each year???
I think the majority of announcements are typically in Sept at a big dealer show, but they have been doing them other times of the year also. A month or so ago, they announced a few 2013 small dual-sports.

- Mark
Old 07-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #13137
bahill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I think they majority of announcements are typically in Sept at a big dealer show, but they have been doing them other times of the year also. A month or so ago, they announced a few 2013 small dual-sports.

- Mark
Thanks !!!

bahill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 03:05 AM   #13138
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 760
If Yamaha ups the power to >100kW, moves controls to handle bars, adds a gear indicator and cruise control, I'll be replacing my S10 with a new S10 next year...... else I'll be seriously looking at the new 1250GS
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:41 AM   #13139
wallydude440
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverDan View Post
Well, I got my Super T about four weeks ago. Took it off road immediately...with the DS factory tires...and it did great! Road it every day to work...commuter test was an easy pass. Took it to DC from my house this weekend...there and back...6.5 hours each way. Took off in a terrible downpour that was flooding the streets, sat in bumper to bumper traffic with little movement for an hour...then took off averaging about 75-80 mph. Traction control worked great in the deep puddles, and the ride was comfortable. I have all three factory panniers, not one drop of water on the inside. They did great!

Seemed like every time I stopped for gas or coffee, someone had to come up and asks me about the bike.

I am planning on attending the AMA Yamaha Super Tenere Blue Ridge Adventure Ride in Morganton, NC in Sep. I can't wait to test the bike on the trails and mountain passes.

Love my ST and wish all of y'all luck with yours!
RoverDan, I was one of those folks that talked to you about the bike (At the gas station on the COSCOM side) just as you were departing for DC. I'm glad the ride went well and you are enjoying the bike.

I'm thinking of going to Raleigh for a S10 test ride as you suggested. I talked with the local Yamaha folks inquiring if they would ever have one on the showroom floor and they said "no" and that they would only get one if it was ordered for a customer.
wallydude440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #13140
T-cosmic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuska View Post
whats the biggest number acheived whilst running on reserve...did 62km @100kph tonight on way home. made it !!
Beat this! :)

T-cosmic is offline   Reply With Quote