Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #13201
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by luni View Post
... the bike sucks, because I forgot what gear I'm in and it doesn't tell me or because it does 1/4 mile in 11.9 and the neighbor's bike does it in 11.5.
Oh F$%^&*()arrrrK. Now I have to go and buy a new bike.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #13202
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Wow!

I guess I better go tell my Yamaha side cases they aren't worth a sh*t...

I've had mine mounted up on my S-10 almost since day one, and over 20,400 miles, and they live on the bike (unless they come off to go in someplace I'm staying overnight), both on-road and off-road, and not one single problem.
Just my two centavos... YM, of course, MV.

Dallara
~
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
The whole bike has been curbed judged since it was released by those who have not ridden it.
I.
Steady on tigers.

1) I do actually have one of these bikes and have done for over two years now.
2) I still have the original Yamaha panniers, but they are in storage having been replaced by Metal Mule ones.
3) despite mucho lubing of the locks I have had keys bend in the locks.
4) I dented one pannier with a short drop of a 10mm spanner.
5) the panniers have an inbuilt problem in that they do not have a lower rear support and yes they will survive crashes but if you land on a lump of earth at that point, the torque is transferred to the opposite corner and it is plastic. 2 such breakages happened during the press show off in March 2010. I know of others since.
6) I was only trying to point out some potential problems to 'luni' and to help him out.

Just in case you did not read my original post properly, here it is again: I was trying to be nice and informative, not sarcastic and big headed.

Not wanting to usurp you, but have you researched the problems with the factory cases. They are one of the three flaws with the bike (the others being the screen and the accessory bash plate).

These boxes are OK for general use but do not stand up well to crashes as the plastic top fixing brakes easily due to no fixing at the lower rear corners. Also, the locks have to be treated with a lot of care and frequently lubed to stop breaking the key off in the lock - disastrous if you are away from home. On top of that the aluminium (English spelling
) covers are thin and will dent even if you drop a spanner/wrench on them.

There are better options on the cases but generally, they do not look as good as the Yamaha ones.

Congrats on buying a great bike though

One thing I did not point out though was the fact that the actual catch that secures the lid closed is a thin piece of plastic and can easily be broken open.

I am glad you are pleased with your panniers. I decided to replace mine for the above reasons. I have now expanded 'luni's view on the matter.

BTW. I also bought the the Yamaha 'Big' screen and it isn't. I also bought the Yamaha bash plate and after its second low impact wrecking, I replaced that too.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #13203
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,561
Eek Mules can be expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

...I still have the original Yamaha panniers, but they are in storage having been replaced by Metal Mule ones.

Those Metal Mule cases are a beautiful piece of kit, but one must always factor in the cost/benefit ratio a bit, and over on this side of the pond the Metal Mule products can be a bit pricey!

I'd love to have a set, and they are on the list should my Yamaha cases ever explode into dust, etc. I just wish I knew how to get 'em over here cheaper!!!

Thanks, Ray!

Dallara

`

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #13204
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,559
Quote:
Steady on tigers.

Hey you wear suspenders too. Can't be all that bad in my book.

I didn't even pay attention to what brought up the bag thing again. I was just responding
what my experience had been. So far positive.

Man that Land Rover is making you cranky.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #13205
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Sorry to interrupt the jocularity, and at the risk of starting an internet religious conflict/conflaguration similar to those once experienced on the GL1800 forum (those geezer glide dudes are intense!), is there a thread or source someone can point me towards as far as the use if synthetic oil in the S10? I ask because the gear whine in mine at 60mph is pretty loud, and I have heard it said that synthetic quiets down similar noises on other bikes.
If I've opened the proverbial can 'o worms, sorry about that.
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #13206
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
I had an interesting problem with mine the other day. I was doing some (illegal) mph passing some trucks when a loud flopping sound erupted from the nose of the bike. At first I thought I had just thrown a rod or something equally catastrophic but no, it was the wind catching the little plastic piece that has the yamaha logo which covers the back of the clocks. It looks like the weak little clips can't handle the pressure, so I replaced them with some bolts.

Here is the now fixed one.

And this is where the windscreen was. Also the Touratech bracket completely hides the shiny bolts.

crazyjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #13207
olie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,089
Quote:
Steady on tigers.

1) I do actually have one of these bikes and have done for over two years now.
2) I still have the original Yamaha panniers, but they are in storage having been replaced by Metal Mule ones.
3) despite mucho lubing of the locks I have had keys bend in the locks.
4) I dented one pannier with a short drop of a 10mm spanner.
5) the panniers have an inbuilt problem in that they do not have a lower rear support and yes they will survive crashes but if you land on a lump of earth at that point, the torque is transferred to the opposite corner and it is plastic. 2 such breakages happened during the press show off in March 2010. I know of others since.
6) I was only trying to point out some potential problems to 'luni' and to help him out.

Just in case you did not read my original post properly, here it is again: I was trying to be nice and informative, not sarcastic and big headed.

Not wanting to usurp you, but have you researched the problems with the factory cases. They are one of the three flaws with the bike (the others being the screen and the accessory bash plate).

These boxes are OK for general use but do not stand up well to crashes as the plastic top fixing brakes easily due to no fixing at the lower rear corners. Also, the locks have to be treated with a lot of care and frequently lubed to stop breaking the key off in the lock - disastrous if you are away from home. On top of that the aluminium (English spelling
) covers are thin and will dent even if you drop a spanner/wrench on them.

There are better options on the cases but generally, they do not look as good as the Yamaha ones.

Congrats on buying a great bike though

One thing I did not point out though was the fact that the actual catch that secures the lid closed is a thin piece of plastic and can easily be broken open.

I am glad you are pleased with your panniers. I decided to replace mine for the above reasons. I have now expanded 'luni's view on the matter.

BTW. I also bought the the Yamaha 'Big' screen and it isn't. I also bought the Yamaha bash plate and after its second low impact wrecking, I replaced that too.
Thanks for your unbiased report. I still am dwelling about the bags I want. Most likely Givi Trekkers' 33 or the old 41L's.
Akrapovic, Givi W'shield, Kappa saddlebags...
11 Corvette, unmolested...
olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #13208
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeper View Post
It looks like the weak little clips can't handle the pressure, so I replaced them with some bolts.
Cool.

A FrankenTen

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 08-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #13209
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,561
Laugh Never fails..

Quote:
Originally Posted by olie View Post
Thanks for your unbiased report. I still am dwelling about the bags I want. Most likely Givi Trekkers' 33 or the old 41L's.

Isn't it funny how anybody who likes something, and has no trouble with it and think it works well, are somehow biased...

Yet somebody who doesn't like the same thing is somehow "unbiased"!!!

And I can remember when ol' olie did nothing but slam, slag, frag, flame, and badmouth the Super Ténéré, yet now he owns one!!!

So, would that make olie biased, or "unbiased"?

Dallara

`

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #13210
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudNut View Post
Sorry to interrupt the jocularity, and at the risk of starting an internet religious conflict/conflaguration similar to those once experienced on the GL1800 forum (those geezer glide dudes are intense!), is there a thread or source someone can point me towards as far as the use if synthetic oil in the S10? I ask because the gear whine in mine at 60mph is pretty loud, and I have heard it said that synthetic quiets down similar noises on other bikes.

I run Mobil 1 in mine. I don't remember a whine before switching over. I usually ride with
headphones and Lynyrd Skynyrd so I can't hear much anyway.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #13211
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Yet now he owns one!!!

So, would that make olie biased, or "unbiased"?

Dallara
Biased toward intelligence and open mindedness obviously.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #13212
Gryphon12
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 958
Anyone using the TRAX panniers? WASP gave them a good review last year.

Then I saw the video demo for the Touratech Zega Pros. Expensive, I know. Anyone know if they work as well as the marketing makes them out to be?

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 AM   #13213
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,380
Quote:
Those Metal Mule cases are a beautiful piece of kit, but one must always factor in the cost/benefit ratio a bit, and over on this side of the pond the Metal Mule products can be a bit pricey!

I'd love to have a set, and they are on the list should my Yamaha cases ever explode into dust, etc. I just wish I knew how to get 'em over here cheaper!!!

Thanks, Ray!

Dallara

`
The only panniers I had where the metallic ones from de GSA: really strong, and really expensive but it was a used bike and bought it with them.
In my first trip to Morocco I use them. I was my first long trip and the GSA look with the panniers was exactly as I dreamed as an adventurer but soon I realise the mistake after some leg traps with them in the sand, I promise me never go off road again with this big heavy boxes.
I had no break problems even having some falls but a friend had the BMW GS plastic ones and they where destroyed very soon. They ruin our trip trying to fix them every mile.
I explain this because I think it all depends how lucky you are if you fall and what kind of ride you do. If you ride only in paved roads probably the stock ones are perfectly ok.
I agree metal panniers are too expensive but they are better in hard conditions, the question is if you ride in this conditions.
ACD the people are making my new skid plate told me they want to do some metallic ones for the ST, lets see….
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 05:00 AM   #13214
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudNut View Post
5th gear is known to whine a bit, and that's probably what you're noticing at 60 mph. In any case, the S10 engine is just like any other (wet clutch) motorcycle engine from the past decade or two; synthetic oil is just fine as long as it's motorcycle specific, or lacking the friction modifiers that are bad for wet clutch operation. I use Amsoil full synthetic motorcycle oil in all my bikes, it costs more but lasts much longer (than dino), and I'll pay to play more.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #13215
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
5th gear is known to whine a bit, and that's probably what you're noticing at 60 mph. In any case, the S10 engine is just like any other (wet clutch) motorcycle engine from the past decade or two; synthetic oil is just fine as long as it's motorcycle specific, or lacking the friction modifiers that are bad for wet clutch operation. I use Amsoil full synthetic motorcycle oil in all my bikes, it costs more but lasts much longer (than dino), and I'll pay to play more.

I'm using Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W - 50, which is not motorcycle specific, but it works very well...no clutch issues at all.