Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 06:19 AM   #13216
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I usually ride with headphones and Lynyrd Skynyrd so I can't hear much anyway.
Wait a minute, you mean you have a redneck appreciation society all the way up there?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:28 AM   #13217
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakebitten View Post
Hey Stobie,

Don't know if you remember me. Few years back I think I sent you my bent 950SM front rim. (I bought new replacement)
Anyways, so your SE is gone?

Well 25,000 miles is pretty impressive on an SE! So no judgement here. But there might never be another bike like that one.

Hey, go get that S10. Especially if you are "gettin old".

Cheers
I wouldn't forget you, Mr. Bitten! I appreciate what you did to help me with that project. Click here if you want to see how that went, and have some time to kill.

I agree that there may never be another bike like it, and that is why I kept it as long as I did. It was ultimately a "Trophy Bike", and it stopped making sense to keep it.

The Super Ten is at the top of a very short list, but it will be a while before I do anything. Other priorities. In the meantime, I have a '93 Suzuki GSX1100G and an '09 KTM 530 EXC to keep me busy.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #13218
ANutt
Keyboard Adventurer

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
5th gear is known to whine a bit, and that's probably what you're noticing at 60 mph. In any case, the S10 engine is just like any other (wet clutch) motorcycle engine from the past decade or two; synthetic oil is just fine as long as it's motorcycle specific, or lacking the friction modifiers that are bad for wet clutch operation. I use Amsoil full synthetic motorcycle oil in all my bikes, it costs more but lasts much longer (than dino), and I'll pay to play more.
It's in 6th gear, not 5th. Wait, are there 6 gears or 5? No indicator. Shit. Sell the damn thing!
ANutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #13219
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,865
Just rode my buddies Super Ten. Very nice.
No whine in any gear btw and very smooth.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:45 AM   #13220
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20valves View Post
Wait a minute, you mean you have a redneck appreciation society all the way up there?
Originally a Indiana boy. Grew up on 4 Tops and Temptations. I've gone down hill since.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #13221
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 393
Quote:
Originally a Indiana boy. Grew up on 4 Tops and Temptations. I've gone down hill since.
Copy that. Downhill is my general direction but I'm getting used to it.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #13222
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeper View Post
I had an interesting problem with mine the other day. I was doing some (illegal) mph passing some trucks when a loud flopping sound erupted from the nose of the bike. At first I thought I had just thrown a rod or something equally catastrophic but no, it was the wind catching the little plastic piece that has the yamaha logo which covers the back of the clocks. It looks like the weak little clips can't handle the pressure, so I replaced them with some bolts

Of course the stock windshield in the stock position there is very little air that gets under there. Someone else reported this problem too. It comes from running the windshield way too high giving that gaping gap between the shield and the headlight. Here's how mine looks.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #13223
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Hey you wear suspenders too...........

Man that Land Rover is making you cranky.
Ain't that the truth. Still, on the bright side, I get it back tomorrow
Old 08-07-2012, 05:56 PM   #13224
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Anyone using the TRAX panniers? WASP gave them a good review last year.

Then I saw the video demo for the Touratech Zega Pros. Expensive, I know. Anyone know if they work as well as the marketing makes them out to be?
I have had my black Trax Evo 2 panniers for over a year and 13,000+ miles and love them. They look good, have held up great and no leaks. Matter of fact, after I wash the bike and it is still wet, I feel some resistance to opening the lids as there is a slight suction created by the seals when they are wet.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:14 PM   #13225
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
Of course the stock windshield in the stock position there is very little air that gets under there. Someone else reported this problem too. It comes from running the windshield way too high giving that gaping gap between the shield and the headlight. Here's how mine looks.
Yup, there is no doubt the raised location of my windshield caused it, and unfortunatly none of the pop clips would hold tight anymore. I would lower the screen if I could, but since I'm 6'5" and wear a peaked Arai XD3, that is the only real way to keep the wind from shaking head even with the CalSci XL.

Not going so fast passing would help too.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #13226
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,279
Quote:

what screen is that and how do you like it?
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #13227
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallydog View Post
what screen is that and how do you like it?
That is the CalSci XL. http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Tenereprod.html

In conjunction with the Touratech bracket I have essentially zero buffeting issues on my helmet at any legal speed. I can actually ride at 75 with my visor up, there is practically no wind pressure on any part of my helmet.

Here is another shot that shows the full height.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:36 AM   #13228
Mugatu
Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
I had an interesting problem with mine the other day. I was doing some (illegal) mph passing some trucks when a loud flopping sound erupted from the nose of the bike. At first I thought I had just thrown a rod or something equally catastrophic but no, it was the wind catching the little plastic piece that has the yamaha logo which covers the back of the clocks. It looks like the weak little clips can't handle the pressure, so I replaced them with some bolts.

Here is the now fixed one.

And this is where the windscreen was. Also the Touratech bracket completely hides the shiny bolts.

Happened to me on a german motorway last year, it started flapping about like crazy
Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #13229
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
I talked with touratech about the bending of the center brace on the crash bars. They said during testing they make their products to fail before someting major on the bike fails. The rear racks are very strong but they are built to bend and fail before the rear subframe fails. The same goes for the crash bars. The bar will bend before the rear frame point cracks the frame, or the front bar rips the front mounting points. They basically said they would rather the bars bend than break something on the bikes. Seems to make sens to me and I agree.

The TT bars are my favorite looking bars.
Thoughts?
Joe
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #13230
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
I talked with touratech about the bending of the center brace on the crash bars. They said during testing they make their products to fail before someting major on the bike fails. The rear racks are very strong but they are built to bend and fail before the rear subframe fails. The same goes for the crash bars. The bar will bend before the rear frame point cracks the frame, or the front bar rips the front mounting points. They basically said they would rather the bars bend than break something on the bikes. Seems to make sens to me and I agree.

The TT bars are my favorite looking bars.
Thoughts?
Joe
Yesterday we have a photo session of my bike with the Yamaha dealer. We where in a park and the ground was soft. The bike was in the centre stand and fell slowly to one side. The bar bend and now is touching the plastic side.
If I knew such a little protection I dind't spend the money in the bars.
In the GSA I had lot of much heavier crashes, never where bend and nothing breaks.
They are as well my favourite looking bars but I want them for protection, so I'm going to replace them for a custom made ones. Do you want mines?
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote