ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2012, 04:48 PM   #13291
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
I figured out where to put the tool tube.
I've looked at this location, but the mounting is trick; while there appears to be sufficient space between the pannier and tire to fit the tube, it results in an odd alignment that is not parallel with the subframe member you want to bolt the tube to. (The subframe member angles back towards the centerline of the tire as you go aft.) If you have figured out a way to do mounts that are stable/robust and will keep the tube in the proper orientation away from the tire, I'd like to see the details.

You don't want to be cavalier about this because if the tube were to wedge between the tire and subframe, it would probably cause damage or even lock the tire. And it might be one of those things where you go 1000 miles without problem and then take a big whoop which uses the entire suspension travel and then it happens.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #13292
Neonguy95
Self Sponsored Rider
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Olathe, KS
Oddometer: 300
Used Plasti-Dip to spray the top and side cases. I think it looks much better. If you don't like it you can peel it off.

__________________
2010 WR250R
2010 XT250 (Wifes)
2012 Super Tenere (Black)((The fast one))
Neonguy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #13293
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I've looked at this location, but the mounting is trick; while there appears to be sufficient space between the pannier and tire to fit the tube, it results in an odd alignment that is not parallel with the subframe member you want to bolt the tube to. (The subframe member angles back towards the centerline of the tire as you go aft.) If you have figured out a way to do mounts that are stable/robust and will keep the tube in the proper orientation away from the tire, I'd like to see the details.

You don't want to be cavalier about this because if the tube were to wedge between the tire and subframe, it would probably cause damage or even lock the tire. And it might be one of those things where you go 1000 miles without problem and then take a big whoop which uses the entire suspension travel and then it happens.

- Mark
This shot doesn't show it very well, but the tube is well out of the line of travel of the tire.







And it's held solidly. I spent some time trying to push it under the seat and it won't go. I'll be keeping an eye on it to see if vibration over time makes it move.
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride

CafeRacer99 screwed with this post 08-18-2012 at 07:37 PM
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:19 AM   #13294
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Sacramento CA
Oddometer: 787
Thanks for the additional photos. My only concern for you are the stainless steel hose clamps and the tight bends. I have a KLR with the standard tool tube on the front of the engine guard. Had the SS clamps break twice. After that I used heavy duty zip ties that don't break and are reusable.

I have an additional tube that I am going to mount where you did. Hope it works since it is out of the way. Thanks.
__________________
Tim

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #13295
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
Thanks for the additional photos. My only concern for you are the stainless steel hose clamps and the tight bends. I have a KLR with the standard tool tube on the front of the engine guard. Had the SS clamps break twice. After that I used heavy duty zip ties that don't break and are reusable.

I have an additional tube that I am going to mount where you did. Hope it works since it is out of the way. Thanks.
It might be worth putting a couple of zip ties around the tube for backup, I might do that. It's hard to see, but I have some lacing wire at each end as backup already.
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #13296
Bundu
===============
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Pretoria, South Africa
Oddometer: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonguy95 View Post
Used Plasti-Dip to spray the top and side cases. I think it looks much better. If you don't like it you can peel it off.

looks GREAT! let us know how the stuff lasts and how easy it is to 'patch' scratches?
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #13297
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer
 
jaumev's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Barcelona
Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonguy95 View Post
Used Plasti-Dip to spray the top and side cases. I think it looks much better. If you don't like it you can peel it off.

I dindn`t know this product. Looks great!
Let us know how resistent it is
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #13298
Goldie05
Fast George
 
Goldie05's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, NJ
Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
This shot doesn't show it very well, but the tube is well out of the line of travel of the tire.
.
I looked at that position but I don't think the tire is the whole problem.
I was concerned about the caliper and the bracket hitting the tube, I wasn't comfortable. Too close, in a big suspension compression moment things could go wrong very fast.
I mounted mine on the left side above my rack. Im using my phone now, can't post a picture but search for a posting from me, there's a picture somewhere already.


Sent from my amazing Galaxy SII
__________________
12 Yamaha Super Ténéré
Alaska Trip
Cross Country Trip
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 01:21 PM   #13299
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer
 
Gryphon12's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Carnation, WA USA
Oddometer: 1,318
Isn't the full rear suspension travel 7.5"? The bottom edge of that tube looks more like 9" from the caliper. I see your concern from an alignment perspective, but not from a real-world travel distance, unless I'm out to lunch on the actual distance. Care to measure it?
__________________
1990 Honda NT-650 Hawk-GT

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #13300
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Isn't the full rear suspension travel 7.5"? The bottom edge of that tube looks more like 9" from the caliper. I see your concern from an alignment perspective, but not from a real-world travel distance, unless I'm out to lunch on the actual distance. Care to measure it?
No problem!

9 inches, good guess.



I also measured the distance from the final drive to the muffler. Also 9 inches to where it looks like it would hit first.



I also compressed the shock as much as I could with my body weight and then ratcheted down as much as I could and this is as far as I got. The bottom end of the tube stands out from the caliper support arm enough that it won't hit.



Not very scientific, but I think I've got the clearance. All I'm concerned about is the tube rotating down from vibration over time. It's solid, so it's not going to just fall unless something breaks.

The test will be Labor Day weekend in Colorado, Ophir and Engineer passes.
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:56 PM   #13301
tomatocity
Retired and lovin' it
 
tomatocity's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Sacramento CA
Oddometer: 787
I think it will work unless an extreme situation occurs.

How close is the tire to the tube when the suspension is fully compressed?

What if you were in a very muddy location and your suspension was completed compressed? This might happen but I doubt it.
__________________
Tim

2012 Yamaha Super Tenere #027, 2005 KLR, 1993 Chevrolet S10,
tomatocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #13302
Goldie05
Fast George
 
Goldie05's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Jackson, NJ
Oddometer: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeRacer99 View Post
No problem!

9 inches, good guess.



Not very scientific, but I think I've got the clearance. All I'm concerned about is the tube rotating down from vibration over time. It's solid, so it's not going to just fall unless something breaks.

The test will be Labor Day weekend in Colorado, Ophir and Engineer passes.
Nice work measuring, I was afraid and just didn't use that location.

This is where I ended up mounting mine, looks good, it's easy to get to, doesn't affect the pannier, the lid on the pannier opens with about .5 inch clearance

It's mounted to the rack with strong zip ties

__________________
12 Yamaha Super Ténéré
Alaska Trip
Cross Country Trip
Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #13303
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatocity View Post
I think it will work unless an extreme situation occurs.

How close is the tire to the tube when the suspension is fully compressed?

What if you were in a very muddy location and your suspension was completed compressed? This might happen but I doubt it.
I'd say the tube is in the same relative location as the muffler in relation to the tire. Even under full compression, I can't see it hitting the tire.

I'll make sure to check in on this after a few rides.
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #13304
CafeRacer99
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Las Vegas
Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie05 View Post
Nice work measuring, I was afraid and just didn't use that location.

This is where I ended up mounting mine, looks good, it's easy to get to, doesn't affect the pannier, the lid on the pannier opens with about .5 inch clearance

It's mounted to the rack with strong zip ties
That's nice. I think your panniers are lower than mine. I don't have room there.
__________________
Ride to Coffee
Coffee to Ride
CafeRacer99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:08 PM   #13305
bacon
KZ5TLP
 
bacon's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Mississippi
Oddometer: 615
Hey guy's I'm back.
After having to give up the Adventure riding due to major back problems and a bout with lung cancer.
I had to stick to the roads for a while.
The lung is gone the back is better now and back in the saddle.
Picking up my bike this week.
I am on the yanahasupertenere forum also as " bacon "
__________________
"Be still, and know that I am God"

For all that motorcycling is, one of it's greatest gifts is the ability to take us to places where that quote is the first things that came to my mind.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014