Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #1336
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Eek Ehrm, it says Yamaha on the tank, but pricetag says BMW...

Okay the price in Holland is out...

16.999€

All the safety-gadgets added they made one mistake, they forgot the de-fibrillator !

I really do not understand it, the much more off-road able Ten, is less than half the price and way ceaper as a BMW 650, what is Yamaha Thinking?

And where have they left the ground clearance ???

19 incer is okay, because the 19"TKC is so much better on tarmac than its 21"counterpart, but the sheer bulk of the SupaTen puts me a bit off, ideal travel Allroad, but would anyone dare to visit the Real Ténéré with this?

had to place sign in it :(

It will be though the ideal drivinginstructor bike, scaring any reluctant SUV to the side of the road :-)

Still hoping thy wil pop the engine and shaftdrive in a real Tenere

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----

R3B screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 04:55 AM
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:51 AM   #1337
Sniff800gs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Plugs
A regular GS1200 comes with a dry-weight of 220 kg. Including fuel, oil, battery, cooling liquid, shaft ride oil, etc the scale says its 256 kg at the end. So... only 5 kg less than the Teneré.
Just the first part agree with you completely in the second.

With all respect. I have not read the articles you are referring to. But the fact that GS1200 does not have cooling liquid makes me wonder.
My GS1200 was weighted due to import from Germany. The calibrated scale at swedish-Tüv made it 215 kg with 5-6 liters in the tank (no crash-bars or farkles). So where the stated 220 kg comes from I don't know, looks more like bmw-bashing to me. I
also don't understand what you are referring to when you say you have to pay extra for at bmw GSA. The crashbars, bashplate, handguards, larger windscrean and others are incl. in price and in weight. Also original bmwparts are cheap compared to what the Jap-gang is charging.
I don't like to make comparisons with fuel since a small tank offsets the comparison and since the range will suffer.
We are getting little OT here sorry.

16 999 euro for this????

When you can get a 2010 GSA incl. ABS and heated grips for 14 999??

Best joke today!

Sniff800gs screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 02:05 AM
Sniff800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:04 AM   #1338
Leipo
'08 wr250r

Oddometer: 230
it looks so fat compared with the 660

Leipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 AM   #1339
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
On the BMW vs. Yamaha weight issue, until we get actual bikes on the same scale, we won't know for sure, but for now, it seems like the best way to compare is to look at the "wet" (fully fueled) specs that both mfgs publish.

And it's 229 kg for the BMW GS (5.3 gal fuel), 256 for the GSA (8.7 gal fuel), and 261 for the ST (6.1 gal fuel). Equalizing the fuel load and adding a few kg for ABS and protection stuff that hopefully Yamaha is including in their bike and isn't on the GS and you end up with the Yamaha weighing about 25 kg more than the GS and 13 kg more than the GSA. That's a 55 lb and 29 lb difference.

If these numbers bear out, there's no way around it - the Yamaha is a bit of a pig. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker if I was cross-shopping these bikes, but it wouldn't be something you could just say "they're about the same" either. You'll feel it on the road, on the trail, and notice it big time if you have to pick the bike up off its side. It appears to me that the ST is comfortably the heaviest big trailee on the market right now, a dubious distinction.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:18 AM   #1340
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff800gs
Just the first part agree with you completely in the second.

With all respect. I have not read the articles you are referring to. But the fact that GS1200 does not have cooling liquid makes me wonder.
My GS1200 was weighted due to import from Germany. The calibrated scale at swedish-Tüv made it 215 kg with 5-6 liters in the tank (no crash-bars or farkles). So where the stated 220 kg comes from I don't know, looks more like bmw-bashing to me. I
also don't understand what you are referring to when you say you have to pay extra for at bmw GSA. The crashbars, bashplate, handguards, larger windscrean and others are incl. in price and in weight. Also original bmwparts are cheap compared to what the Jap-gang is charging.
I don't like to make comparisons with fuel since a small tank offsets the comparison and since the range will suffer.
We are getting little OT here sorry.

16 999 euro for this????

When you can get a 2010 GSA for 14 999??

Best joke today!
Just for the record... With 'GSA' do you mean GS Adventure?

If so... the Adventure with full trim is expensive here - very. On the Utrecht show there was an GS Adventure on display with a price tag of € 21.000,-
Same goes for the all new Duc Multistrada.

You state 'BMW parts are cheap compared with Jap parts'. Yep, I won't argue with that. But like the F800 engine, they are produced in China. You should know that. And perhaps in a few years from now, the Chinese will be able to build stuff as relaiable as the Japanese. But they still have a long way to go.

Might I ask you what your BMW agent charges for regular maintenance? My Honda agent charges 250-300 Euro for every major 12.000 km inspection, and 200 for the small inspections every 6.000 km. Even with new tires (Conti Trail Attack) and new chain and sprockets (DID) the bill rarely expands the € 500,- marquee. And since the bike is no longer under warranty, I only visit my agent once a year in spring. I don't use cheap oil either... Motul full synthetic.

The 'standard' GS is (also from my Honda spoild point of view... ) reasonably priced. But with no specs, ABS, goodies not the right bases to make an objective comparison I guess...

But still... If your main goal is travelling and covering huge distances in comfort with the manoeuvrability of an trail bike, the 'old' XL1000V is very good value for money with < € 14.000,-, 25 litre fuel capacity and both good economic- as ergonomic figures. It's not difficult to get an acceptable fuel consumption, even when travelling at slightly illegal speeds with full luggage...

Sometimes it is great to live near the German border and the German Autobahn!

Note... About taxing around... Dutch VAT is 19%, + 20% BPM (= luxury tax)

You are right... the GS doesn’t use cooling liquid like the Yam, but the mighty boxer is air + oil cooled...

And the GS for sure isn't that bad. It has one of the best rides amongst heavy trailies and I even like the looks. But like stated before, there was till last night no 'real' competition for BMW's success number. I consider the Yam as a real (and maybe the first) competitor who is able to make an fist towards the GS' selling success...

But I agree... € 17.000,- is a lot...

Anyway... I'm off to the Yam agent for an test ride appointement...

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!

Two Plugs screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 02:24 AM
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:19 AM   #1341
jj5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
well you have to add to that we have alot of BS taxes in the netherlands which makes motorbikes quiet a bit more expensive in Holland then in other european countries. Think its easialy 3K cheaper in UK, Germany etc..

Can only agree with all the posts above me its a fat pig. In my eyes they messed it up in every possible way... to heavy, to big, to ugly
jj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:34 AM   #1342
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipo

If it was narrower you can bet other folks would be complaining about the lack of wind protection and the small gas tank

Let's face it. Most buyers of these big trailies rarely go offroad and Yamaha has made what they want: a cool looking touring bike with some offroad capability.

Really serious offroaders would not want something bigger than a 650 imho....
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:42 AM   #1343
izom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Thumbs down

...she IS fat !!!

- ithink NO one wants to drive that pig to the teneree...:-/

82 xr 500 - love those old thumpers

92 XTZ 750 rally style
izom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #1344
Sniff800gs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Just for the record... With 'GSA' do you mean GS Adventure?
GSA = R1200GS Adventure yes. List price tax incl.: 155000 SEK http://www.bmw-motorrad.se/se/sv/index.html
You can get it lower if you bargain in the winter months.

21000???? Wtf?? +20% luxury tax??? OMG and I thought swedish taxes were fucked up!

>Might I ask you what your BMW agent charges for regular maintenance? My Honda agent charges 250-300 Euro for every major 12.000 km inspection, and 200 for the small inspections every 6.000 km

That is quite similar for regular depend where you go. I paid 220 E for a large one last winter. Small inspections? Not on BMW!

Quote:
I'm off to the Yam agent for an test ride appointement...
Yeah ride it like its 1999!

And not just 10 minutes! A couple of hours at least! That's what you do in BMW-dealership in Sweden! I say no-thank-you when offered to take a bike for a "spin" around the block. Worthless 10 minutes to get an opinion.
Sniff800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:57 AM   #1345
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,382
Quote:
But like the F800 engine, they are produced in China. You should know that. And perhaps in a few years from now, the Chinese will be able to build stuff as relaiable as the Japanese. But they still have a long way to go.
Wrong... The F800 engine is made by Rotax in Austria. But don't let the facts deter you from making your false arguments.

The only engines built in china for bmw is the one in the 2009 and newer G650 series and the one in the G450X which is built by Kymco.
Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 AM   #1346
minkyhead
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 303
ive been waiting for the japs to produce somthing for three years.. after the umitigated disaster that was the 1200gs .. me vee stroms served me well ...but
i want one of these ...and i want it now ,,,
lots of pics and info on this link

http://www.gizmag.com/yamaha-super-t...icture/111384/
red lining at 7800 suggest some pretty good low down stomp

By minkyhead at 2010-02-25

minkyhead screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 04:23 AM
minkyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:19 AM   #1347
DakarBlues
One-everythinged man

Oddometer: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by izom
...she IS fat !!!

- ithink NO one wants to drive that pig to the teneree...:-/
Some Varadero and BMW GSA crossed the Tenere though.

Think SUV on two wheels.

Pedibus Cum Jambus 1200 S
IBA # 38875
DakarBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #1348
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,533
Its one fat bitch.

Most of its key design features have been done before on Honda's Verrydeadly, another fat poorly designed Jap attempt at a GS-beater!!

FAIL!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #1349
jdpower
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by flienlow
If the bike costs that much, we probably wont see it in the states. 16 is really knocking on BMW territory and it will be way to Japanesy for 16k....But then again, what the hell do I know?
Love that term, Japanesy. But how many of us would trust a final drive by Yamaha than BMW . My gut feeling is that if Yamaha brings this over the pond, they will definitely be below BMW in price and include things BMW doesn't i.e. panniers etc. We all will wait and see.

JDP
jdpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #1350
R3B
Lazy Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leipo

(illegal copyright infringment)

Will you be so kind to remove that illigal copyright, i've singlehandedly removed the panniers, and do't lik it you try to hijack my work !

Riding tips: . -----www.LazyMotorbike.eu-----

R3B screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 05:00 AM
R3B is offline   Reply With Quote