ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2012, 09:53 PM   #13591
cug
--

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
And, yes... You can get all the bits and parts to *make* one out of your own Super Ténéré... That is if you are willing to order all the parts from a European source...
I don't think you can that sleek secondary tank in the pillion seat area. That would have me interested. The rest is mainly optics / decals and some parts you can get in better versions from 3rd parties. Or what am I missing?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:01 PM   #13592
tpak
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Hi,
After having crashed my S10 at the end of June, I'm looking for the next bike.
The S10 is obviously on the list but I'm a bit short on money.
So for those who know both bikes, how does a TDM 900 compares to the S10. How is braking on the tdm (abs) versus the S10 (don't ask me why ).
PS : I know the tdm is a road bike, but can be found for cheap and at the moment it's a strong plus.
I rode a friends TDM several times back in the spring before getting my S10. I thought it was an awesome bike - as others have noted it is a little more nimble - it turns in quicker. It sits a little lower. Brakes are nowhere near as good but for its vintage they are fine and they never bothered me compared to my Vstrom even before those were upgraded to GSXR calipers. If you can get an S1 - it is far better but the TDM packs some bang for the buck. I think my Wee Strom packed some pretty good value too and with slightly wider bars it handled a lot like the S10.
tpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #13593
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 2,077
Laugh There's a "World Crosser", and a "World Crosser"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I don't think you can that sleek secondary tank in the pillion seat area. That would have me interested. The rest is mainly optics / decals and some parts you can get in better versions from 3rd parties. Or what am I missing?

That "sleek secondary tank" is one that has only been shown on the one-off "concept" World Crosser show bike... Nobody other than someone in Yamaha's R&D department can get one of those unless they fab it up themselves.

OTOH, in Europe Yamaha *DOES* sell a model they call a "World Crosser"... Only thing is that it's nothing more than a standard Super Ténéré with "mainly optics / decals and some parts you can get better versions from 3rd parties"...

You didn't specify *WHICH* "World Crosser" you were inquiring about...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward

Dallara screwed with this post 09-13-2012 at 10:51 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:22 PM   #13594
cug
--

Oddometer: 5,021
Quote:
You didn't specific *WHICH* "World Crosser" you were inquiring about...
The link above was for the concept study.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #13595
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Cool2 Shell game...

Quote:
The link above was for the concept study.

But sTE610vE's question about the World Crosser parts was *BEFORE* that link was posted, or the concept even mentioned, and the picture he posted along with his question about the parts was of the *PRODUCTION* "World Crosser" - not the concept bike...

Dallara

~

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Old 09-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #13596
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,067
Quote:
But sTE610vE's question about the World Crosser parts was *BEFORE* that link was posted, or the concept even mentioned, and the picture he posted along with his question about the parts was of the *PRODUCTION* "World Crosser" - not the concept bike...

Dallara

~
Yes, all I really want to know is:

1. Has anyone heard if the World Crosser accessory parts (the ones they sell in europe, not the "unobtainium" of the concept bike) will be available in the US?

2. If not has anyone ordered a kit from Europe and what did it cost? I understand what it is and what it isn't.

Thanks for the responses
sTE610vE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM   #13597
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Thumb Yamabits UK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE View Post
Yes, all I really want to know is:

1. Has anyone heard if the World Crosser accessory parts (the ones they sell in europe, not the "unobtainium" of the concept bike) will be available in the US?

2. If not has anyone ordered a kit from Europe and what did it cost? I understand what it is and what it isn't.

Thanks for the responses

I have no idea if the Yamaha OEM "World Crosser" parts will be available in the USA at sometime in the future...

Nor have I ever ordered a Yamaha OEM "kit" or other "World Crosser" parts from anybody...

However, I have ordered some Euro-parts for my Super Ténéré from these folks...

http://www.yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-mot...cessories.html

And their service has be great. Parts take about 10 days or so to make the transit, so take that into account.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~

Old 09-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #13598
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,986
Quote:
...Just FYI...

Dallara

~

A few questions for you, Dal...

1. Did you get your RUMBUX "go-cart frame", yet?

2. Have you installed/tried to install it, yet?

3. If you answered yes to the above two...How in the f^&k did you remove the M10 bolt near the sidestand?

I'm about ten seconds away from from welding a tire-iron to that sumbitch, and having a powerlifter try to twist-it-off...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #13599
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Cool2 Patience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
A few questions for you, Dal...

1. Did you get your RUMBUX "go-cart frame", yet?

2. Have you installed/tried to install it, yet?

3. If you answered yes to the above two...How in the f^&k did you remove the M10 bolt near the sidestand?

I'm about ten seconds away from from welding a tire-iron to that sumbitch, and having a powerlifter try to twist-it-off...

1.) Yes, I got my RumBux skid plate in from Eric (note: I did *NOT* get the upper frame, just the skid plate(.

2.) No, I haven't installed it yet as I haven't had any difficult off-road excursion lately. Just some gravel road and simple two-track, jeep trail stuff. Probably won't install it until the scheduled Big Bend jaunt in October.

3.) However, I have had that bolt loosened up before - oddly enough to loctite it and torque it to spec. IIRC mine was tight, but not "welding a tire iron to that sumbitch" tight... At least I don't remember it being anything exceptional.

Sorry...

Dallara

~

Old 09-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #13600
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasty View Post
I would be interested to know what S10 owners regards as a 'long adventure ride'. Certainly the bike's forte is distance riding with the bonus of tackling poor surfaces that less travelled routes throw up, but good as it is, it's still 260kgs of electronic trickery.
I'm doing at least one 10 days trip every year. 90% off road from over 2000 to 3000km, witch is quite a lot in the type of tracks we do.
But my dream in a couple of years is something more or less like this

Yes, I know there is a lot of electronic in our S10 but unfortunately all the new bikes are more or less like this. But I’m truly confident with Yamaha reliability.
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:03 PM   #13601
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 19,380
new colors for 2013. white and grey/silver
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...uperTenere.htm
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #13602
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
new colors for 2013. white and grey/silver
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motor...uperTenere.htm

P.S.- Thanks for the response Allan...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #13603
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,470
Quote:
You are correct, Sir. And the bikes that Dallara is referring to are the ultimate in irony because they come with the OEM sump-mounted bash plate.

Sent from my F-05D using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #13604
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Laugh OEM parts selling accessory...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
You are correct, Sir. And the bikes that Dallara is referring to are the ultimate in irony because they come with the OEM sump-damaging, sump-cracking, sump-bashing plate.

There, Tremor... Fixed it for ya'!

Dallara

~

Old 09-15-2012, 08:21 AM   #13605
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,943
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasty View Post
I would be interested to know what S10 owners regards as a 'long adventure ride'. Certainly the bike's forte is distance riding with the bonus of tackling poor surfaces that less travelled routes throw up, but good as it is, it's still 260kgs of electronic trickery.
Change the windshield and flatten the seat, then go. I did 10,000 miles in June and would pick this over my FJR for such long distances. As much as I loved my 2 FJRs, the Tenere seating is more upright and it's a better all-rounder.

I'm watching to see how many Super Teneres turn up in this years Iron Butt competition, doing 11,000 miles in 11 days.