Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #13666
Bundu
===============

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
I've owned a Harley Ultra Classic & now a KLR. I test rode an S10 and it didn't seem boring to me. Now if you're coming off a sport bike you might feel that way, but from my limited experience I thought it was pretty damn quick.
it's all relative I guess - once you're in 4th and above, the S10 is fine, but in twisties, 2nd and 3rd get used and that's where the problem is on the standard S10 when operating the bike below 5500RPM, at least according to my experience on the S10
Bundu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #13667
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
...I test rode an S10 and it didn't seem boring to me. Now if you're coming off a sport bike you might feel that way, but from my limited experience I thought it was pretty damn quick.

I was very surprised to find that, in all the magazine tests, the ST's torque numbers were down (when compared to the other bikes).

To me, the ST feels like it pulls like a locomotive...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:00 AM   #13668
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,503
I didn't get to do any twisties, a few side streets and a blast down the interstate. My experience is limited, so I'll STFU.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:09 AM   #13669
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
I'd agree that it pulls well just stock (from a test ride) and if you did the remap or clutch mod that would be a bonus. I'm real curious of how it handles when ridden hard (like if you were on a track) with stock tires and low pegs. I guess there may not be too much you could do to make it faster or handle better?
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #13670
Bundu
===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I was very surprised to find that, in all the magazine tests, the ST's torque numbers were down (when compared to the other bikes).

To me, the ST feels like it pulls like a locomotive...

MCN 8 BIKE ADVENTURE TEST

Old 09-18-2012, 11:17 AM   #13671
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGERRIDER007 View Post
I'd agree that it pulls well just stock (from a test ride) and if you did the remap or clutch mod that would be a bonus. I'm real curious of how it handles when ridden hard (like if you were on a track) with stock tires and low pegs. I guess there may not be too much you could do to make it faster or handle better?
If it is not quick enough for you, raise the rear (Wasp works), drop the triple clamp (i.e. raise the fork tubes) and put stiffer springs on the thang.

More seriously: Were you able to take one for a test ride yet? That will be much more valuable to you than a lot of second hand impressions.
pretbek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #13672
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
Quote:
I'd agree that it pulls well just stock (from a test ride) and if you did the remap or clutch mod that would be a bonus...

Well, I do want to clarify that it pulls well, when it's in its powerband. For me, the bike has major suckage just off idle (IMHO).

Our driveway has a pretty good incline to it. And, several times, while trying to lug the ST up it, I've almost tipped the bike into my truck (because of the "on/off", light-switch fueling at the bottom-end).

If the ECUnleashed cures that, I'm all over it!...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
MCN 8 BIKE ADVENTURE TEST

What?...what did it say?

Linky?...

EDIT- Sorry about that, the pic didn't load the first time I came to this page.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 11:41 AM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:43 AM   #13673
Bundu
===============

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Well, I do want to clarify that it pulls well, when it's in its powerband. For me, the bike has major suckage just off idle (IMHO).

Our driveway has a pretty good incline to it. And, several times, while trying to lug the ST up it, I've almost tipped the bike into my truck (because of the "on/off", light-switch fueling at the bottom-end).

If the ECUnleashed cures that, I'm all over it!...

What?...what did it say?

Linky?...

EDIT- Sorry about that, the pic didn't load the first time I came to this page.

but here is more - S10 (according to their test) not the best or worst at anything - still love mine....

Bundu screwed with this post 09-18-2012 at 01:23 PM
Old 09-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #13674
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quarter mile in 13.09 seconds?? I don't think so unless they left one spark plug wire off.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #13675
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
Quarter mile in 13.09 seconds?? I don't think so unless they left one spark plug wire off.
This number does seem suspiciously low.

I don't think there is much doubt that the S10 is the slowest of the big adventure touring bikes. It's a 90 RWHP bike with 575-lbs of weight (without accessories) so it is no rip-snorter. The power is certainly adequate and it has good torque, but if you're looking for a truly fast adventure bike, I'd just get the Duc and be done with it.

Back to the question of how it handles as a twisty-pavement bike, I'd say it is great - stable, accurate, nice turn-in, etc. - up until you run out of cornering clearance. This establishes a moderate limit on twisty speed and while you can hang off and improve things a bit, you simply can't attack like you could on a sportbike - no surprise there. I'd judge the cornering clearance to be a little worse than the GS. Taller suspension would, I'm sure, help.

There's no free lunch. The S10 - with its generous legroom, superb heat control, and nice seating position with narrow tank between one's knees - is very comfortable and eminently suitable for chewing up long distances, whether on twisty two-lanes, dirt roads, or the freeway. It's got surprisingly good stock suspension and a decent seat. Keep your momentum up and you can make seriously fast time, as fast as any reasonably-sane person probably wants to go on a public road, no matter what they're riding. But it is a bike a lot more suited to a 7/10th's pace rather than a 9/10th's pace.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #13676
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,431
Quote:
Move your body and get off the seat - it'll corner to the tire limits.

Take a stripped piece of wire and do your test ride again, so you can jumper the clutch switch connector, located beneath the clutch lever.

Then decide if it's your flavor.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #13677
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Anyone have a link to that article? I tried to google it with no luck.

What the heck bikes are these? Is it the new Triumph 1200? Because I've personally tested my S10 next to a Tiger 800 and came up with very different results than them. What Kawasaki Adventure Bike are they using? Honda?

Cycleworld tested the S10 with these results:

QM
11.69 sec. @ 109.99 mph

0-60
3.4 sec.

Top Gear 40-60
4.1 sec.

Top Gear 60-80
4.4 sec.

Braking 60-0
135 ft.

MCN must have left their S10 in Touring mode.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #13678
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
This number does seem suspiciously low.

I don't think there is much doubt that the S10 is the slowest of the big adventure touring bikes. It's a 90 RWHP bike with 575-lbs of weight (without accessories) so it is no rip-snorter. The power is certainly adequate and it has good torque, but if you're looking for a truly fast adventure bike, I'd just get the Duc and be done with it.

Back to the question of how it handles as a twisty-pavement bike, I'd say it is great - stable, accurate, nice turn-in, etc. - up until you run out of cornering clearance. This establishes a moderate limit on twisty speed and while you can hang off and improve things a bit, you simply can't attack like you could on a sportbike - no surprise there. I'd judge the cornering clearance to be a little worse than the GS. Taller suspension would, I'm sure, help.

There's no free lunch. The S10 - with its generous legroom, superb heat control, and nice seating position with narrow tank between one's knees - is very comfortable and eminently suitable for chewing up long distances, whether on twisty two-lanes, dirt roads, or the freeway. It's got surprisingly good stock suspension and a decent seat. Keep your momentum up and you can make seriously fast time, as fast as any reasonably-sane person probably wants to go on a public road, no matter what they're riding. But it is a bike a lot more suited to a 7/10th's pace rather than a 9/10th's pace.

- Mark
Well said Mark. I guess I'd be asking for too much if it had corner clearance and significant lean angle, oh well. I may have to accept it for what it is, not what it could be. It is a damn fine machine, that is number 1 on my list of bikes to buy. Thanks for the input, it helps!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #13679
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Anyone have a link to that article? I tried to google it with no luck.

MCN must have left their S10 in Touring mode.
Yep, That is pretty much what they tend to do.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #13680
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
...as fast as any reasonably-sane person probably wants to go on a public road, no matter what they're riding.

- Mark
I have noticed that most owners seem to reasonably sane and well rounded as well. I suppose people buy what works with their personality. If they are insane at least they tend to be fun insane rather than creepy insane, isn't that right pluric?

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote