Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #13756
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,886
I've only removed the battery side cover all the way. Not hard.
The other side moves enough to get to the gas tank bolt.
So I've never tried to remove that completely.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:31 AM   #13757
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Random question...

Bike running on center stand (sidestand up), pull in the clutch, kick it into first gear... does your back tire spin as if the clutch is out? So much so that you can't stop it with your foot?

Mine spins with some force, I can stop it with the brake and it doesn't bog the motor or anything, but it sure seems like the clutch is rubbing more than it should.

Anyone want to tell me whether this is perfectly normal or not?
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 AM   #13758
tenspeed
TenSPEED

Oddometer: 16
Thumb Altrider bars

My right cover comes off easy with out removing the bars, however the left side pannels are a real bitch to remove. I still think the Altrider bars are worth the extra effort. No regrets with the altrider bars or any part of this machine at all.
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #13759
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Random question...

Bike running on center stand (sidestand up), pull in the clutch, kick it into first gear... does your back tire spin as if the clutch is out? So much so that you can't stop it with your foot?

Mine spins with some force, I can stop it with the brake and it doesn't bog the motor or anything, but it sure seems like the clutch is rubbing more than it should.

Mine spins up the same way but I've only tried stopping it with the brake. Will give foot-stop a test next time I'm at the bike. I've been trying lots of center stand stuff in an attempt to get my TCS to engage properly.
Cykel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:22 AM   #13760
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Random question...

It is normal to a point. I have had the rear tire spin on other bikes in the past. But once the oil warms up, it should slow down or should be easily controlled by using your foot. Is the bike warmed up when you try this? but the reassuring thing is that when you use the break, it doesn't bog the engine down. So it doesn't appear to be causing undue drag on the engine.

How many miles are on your S10? Maybe it needs to be broken in a little more?

Gives me pause, I may try that with my S10 in the near future to see if it happens to me too.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map

TH screwed with this post 10-02-2012 at 10:46 AM
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #13761
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
At some point not, but by far most likely to be normal.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:47 AM   #13762
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

On the topic of normal center-stand behaviors, could anyone give input on the TCS system? I believe mine to be non-functional given that I never see it intervene and can get the rear wheel to spin up in any mode.

Here are the tests I've done:
1 - Tested ABS functionality via the test connector under the seat. All is good.
2 - Tested ABS on the road and it worked
3 - Bike on center stand, TC1, running, throttle slowly to 20 mph...ABS light flashes but nothing else.
4 - Above test in TC2 with same result, except a few seconds after I brake the rear to a stop the TC shuts itself off and throws a code as expected.

I checked the sensors and rings for excessive dirt or buildup but all quite clean.

Never had any intervention in any mode, road or dirt.

I expected some TC intervention when on the throttle on the center-stand. Talked with a shop on Friday and taking it in later this week, but wanted more data from others if possible.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #13763
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,289
Center stand tests for the TC won't work.

- Find some dirt
- Make sure you're in TC 1 mode
- Turn the throttle wfo. Don't do it gently, whack that sucker wide open

If you're throwing a 50' roost, your TC isn't working. If the orange TC light lights up on the dash and your not throwing a 50' roost, it's working properly

Happy to help
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #13764
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cykel View Post
On the topic of normal center-stand behaviors, could anyone give input on the TCS system? I believe mine to be non-functional given that I never see it intervene and can get the rear wheel to spin up in any mode.

Here are the tests I've done:
1 - Tested ABS functionality via the test connector under the seat. All is good.
2 - Tested ABS on the road and it worked
3 - Bike on center stand, TC1, running, throttle slowly to 20 mph...ABS light flashes but nothing else.
4 - Above test in TC2 with same result, except a few seconds after I brake the rear to a stop the TC shuts itself off and throws a code as expected.

I checked the sensors and rings for excessive dirt or buildup but all quite clean.

Never had any intervention in any mode, road or dirt.

I expected some TC intervention when on the throttle on the center-stand. Talked with a shop on Friday and taking it in later this week, but wanted more data from others if possible.
On a loose gravel road TC1 hit it hard in a lower gear and it should fall on it's face. Won't go, won't wheel spin,
TC light will be flashing. TC2 it should give you a good wheel spin and let you play a little with back wheel,
light will still flash. TC off, well, that's when it will be really fun.

I've never done the center stand test. I always thought the front wheel had to spin as well for the bike
to compare the two speeds and decide to cut power to keep them matched.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #13765
Cykel
I'm Adventurer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I've never done the center stand test. I always thought the front wheel had to spin as well for the bike to compare the two speeds and decide to cut power to keep them matched.
That could be the case.

When in TCS1 I hit the gas hard in loose gravel and the rear end swings around everywhere...no intervention. Haven't really tested TCS2 in the same fashion...just ridden without worrying about it.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #13766
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
Random question...

I don't have an S10 and don't know how it's electronics are organized against this issue, but this is fairly typical wet clutch behavior. Remember that your clutch runs in an oil bath so will have some tendency to work a bit like a torque converter does. Dry clutch is different.
Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:15 PM   #13767
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
That could be the case.

When in TCS1 I hit the gas hard in loose gravel and the rear end swings around everywhere...no intervention. Haven't really tested TCS2 in the same fashion...just ridden without worrying about it.
Okay, how about in sand? If you have had the thing in sand and try to power out in the TC1 mode
it won't give you any power. I've had to stop and switch modes to have enough steam to get out.

From what you said about on gravel it surprises me because TC1 usually doesn't let much get loose.

What ever it it is I wish mine did it. I've always thought TC off should be the default setting. I'm always
forgetting to reset it after stopping.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #13768
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Okay, how about in sand? If you have had the thing in sand and try to power out in the TC1 mode
it won't give you any power. I've had to stop and switch modes to have enough steam to get out.

From what you said about on gravel it surprises me because TC1 usually doesn't let much get loose.

What ever it it is I wish mine did it. I've always thought TC off should be the default setting. I'm always
forgetting to reset it after stopping.
You must not be from the US, land of the free, home of the most lawyers per capita on earth.

I know where you are from, and I agree with you.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:53 PM   #13769
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
It is normal to a point....How many miles are on your S10?...
Sounds normal then I supposed. My S10 has over 15000 miles on it, so no more break in for me.

Quote:
On the topic of normal center-stand behaviors, could anyone give input on the TCS system?
The TCS does nothing on the center stand, nor will it do anything stopped (you can hold the front brake and do a burnout). Gravel/dirt is the easiest location to test the TCS, but even on pavement I can activate mine quite easy...

First gear, cruising about 3500 RPM, crack the throttle open. It will either do a smallish wheelie or spin up the back tire (if wet), or make the light flash like crazy.

If you're rear end "swings around everywhere" with TC1 on, something is not right. TC1 doesn't allow me to slide the back end more than about 6" before it snaps it back in line automatically.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #13770
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pretbek View Post
You must not be from the US, land of the free, home of the most lawyers per capita on earth.
I know where you are from, and I agree with you.
You're right. I should shut up or they will remove the TC options. Leave us trying how to
find away around all the netuering of gears, rpm and TC. Let alone braking. Suddenly
vintage bikes don't sound so bad.

Part of the problem with all this reliable new electric stuff is it makes it too easy for the factory
to put a party killing bug in everything.