User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 10:27 PM   #13861
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,987
Yamaha topcase question...

Was it my imagination, or did some of you guys, who purchased an OEM topcase, get a new one on Yamaha's dime?

The first time I used my topcase, I found a buttload of dust in it, when I got home. And, when the dealer washed the ST for me, the case got a pretty good amount of water in it.

I've heard of the lid not closing completely (Mine is the same). However, I thought I read that a few were replaced as a "warranty" issue (on the case).

Is that correct?...or not?

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:55 PM   #13862
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
Finally went for a test ride today.

Love the bike all around.

only gripe i have is my left hand started to really hurt "ache". Either from the clutch or the pressure of my body and arms putting on the hands as i decelerated. Really felt some serious pressure. Is this caused by the slant of the seat?

Anyhow hope someone might shed some light on this.

boulder
You are a different build than me. No problems with the clutch, bars or seat. It's the same as any other clutch I have used in the big bore bikes. The bars could use a tiny bit of rearward angle but I only notice If I am riding for over 6 hours.

I actually went for a short ride the other day dressed like a squid because I was going hiking., and the slant on the seat was more obvious, so I get that. I usually wear leathers and it is not an issue with big boofy leather material. Maybe that's the difference. The denim slips and allows more ball constricting action I suppose.

Most people have to sort one thing or another. Just the way it is.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:43 AM   #13863
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
You are a different build than me. No problems with the clutch, bars or seat. It's the same as any other clutch I have used in the big bore bikes. The bars could use a tiny bit of rearward angle but I only notice If I am riding for over 6 hours.

I actually went for a short ride the other day dressed like a squid because I was going hiking., and the slant on the seat was more obvious, so I get that. I usually wear leathers and it is not an issue with big boofy leather material. Maybe that's the difference. The denim slips and allows more ball constricting action I suppose.

Most people have to sort one thing or another. Just the way it is.
my clutch is nice... 1 finger
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:59 AM   #13864
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,279
Quote:
Finally went for a test ride today.

Love the bike all around.

only gripe i have is my left hand started to really hurt "ache". Either from the clutch or the pressure of my body and arms putting on the hands as i decelerated. Really felt some serious pressure. Is this caused by the slant of the seat?

That clutch lever is really a tight pull. I think that is what caused my pain.

I mean I love the Bike and I am planning on getting one, (working the Wife) I just hope there is a fix to the clutch lever.
No I don't have extra small hands and I don't believe i have too wimpy of a grip.
Never had a problem on any of the bikes I have owned my whole life.

Would risers fix this?

Anyhow hope someone might shed some light on this.

boulder
Your profile says your current bike is a DR650, which is easier to pull the clutch on. As others mentioned, the Tenere is pretty typical and not the beast that some are. My guess is that you'd transition quickly and then wonder at how light the clutch is on the DR.

IF IF IF this remains a problem...

When Yamaha introduced the Gen2 FJR in 2006, they increased the clutch pull force. Somebody realized that retrofitting a Gen1 slave cylinder resulted in a lighter pull. Yamaha is big into commonality of parts and the Tenere has less power than either the Gen1 or 2, so it might be worth looking into whether the Gen1 FJR and Tenere clutch slave cylinders are interchangeable.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #13865
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Howdy,

I think the clutch pull is pretty darn easy on the tenere. However, if the angle of the clutch lever is not adjusted propertly (too high in my case) then I will get a tired hand and wrist pretty quick. I ride with my levers angled pretty far down to keep the pull in line with my arms, thus maximizing the amount of muscle available to pull the clutch. I've never understood the fellas who have thier levers parallel with the road, they aren't making full use of all of their muscles. The angle may not have been an issue on your DR because the pull was so light. High power bikes need stiffer clutches to hold all that power however.

Oh, and the pull losens up as the bike breaks in, just like everything else on the Tenere. There is also an adjustment on the lever that allows the pull to be brought closer to bar. Perhaps yours was set in the farthest out position.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:32 AM   #13866
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Clutch pull - I find it pretty easy. I'm used the cable pull system on my Triumphs, and they can cause your hand to get pretty tired in stop and go traffic, especially with my '01 Sprint.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:35 AM   #13867
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
I had some problems like this when I first got my bike.
I believe it is not just one thing that is causing your problem. If you look at how your hands and wrist meet the bar, your not even with the bars.
That will apply pressure on your wrist and hands.

The strong deceleration is one more part of the equation. You can remove that with a flash. A fair bit of money, but not bad for what you get.

Yes, the seat is causing the slide into the tank, and with a stock seat, your balls are being drawn under you and can be quite uncomfortable.

I installed risers and the other things I mentioned, also a new seat without the gripper material.

The bike can be made into a really great touring bike and with the right rider, a very good dirt bike.
Yes I am not even with the bars. I hope risers will help and the other items you talked about also. Thanks.
I am 6' 270 pounds. But I had no problem on my KTM 640 adventure with all its vibes and stuff. And my DR 650 I was happy to get back on it. No Pressure on my wrists and hands at all. Got back on the Tenere and there it was again. Yes the dealer let me get off the Tenere and ride my bike around for a while then get back on the Tenere. As I kept telling him my hands and wrists are feeling allot of pressure and my left hand is aching.
Anyways I am sure just some adjustments.

Thanks for your reply Japako.

bd

bouldertag screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 06:53 AM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #13868
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Ok thanks everyone. I guess i ride cockeyed and all twisted.

The levers were level with the road. Just a slight angle down. Maybe 3 degrees.
I am thinking my added nervousness of riding a larger bike being brand new worth some big money and not mine might of contributed. my posture might not have been relaxed also.

But man i really felt some big pressure of both hands while decelerating.

Thanks for all your comments! This definitely helps that it is most likely an individual issue not a bike issue. Also most likely parts adjustment to cater to rider.

Not trying to compare it to the DR as that would be silly. But just the pressure in the hands and wrists. I have 2" risers on my DR. And the bike drops in the front and i slide forward on deceleration but never feel it in my hands. So I am thinking it is the risers that are needed for me.

Also are any of you who are not feeling the pressure weigh close to me? 270lbs. Yep i know i will hear it now loose some weight ect. But it is a viable question.

Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #13869
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 337
NGK Iridium plugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Be sure to give initial and longer-term impressions of the spark plugs. They don't appear to be the 'projected tip' variety that is used for the OEM spark plug...maybe I am not seeing this correctly from the pics? The center electrode and insulator should project past the end of the plug by about the same amount as the OEM. It has to do with locating the flame front closer to the center of the combustion chamber for greater efficiency. I still don't see any iridium plug listed at the NGK website as a direct replacement for the stock Tenere plug. That's not to say another won't work, but you are braver than me in this regard.
Hi Tremor ... asked Sparkplugs.com and they answered back confirming what you said ...

Thank you for contacting us! I see that the OEM # CPR8EB-9 is actually
available on our website as well, this stock # is NGK 6607. The "P" that is
missing from the NGK5258 that you ordered indicates a PROJECTED center
electrode, which means the firing end of the CR8EIB-9 you ordered will not
be in the same position inside the cylinder for proper combustion. This
being said, you can certainly install the CR8EIB-9 and it will not cause any
damage. Hypothetically, the fine wire center electrode and taper ground
could expose more of the flame kernel and help compensate for the lack of
projection but even this does work, you will likely not get the fine wire
benefit, just the longevity.

So I will not get the benefit of the fine wire ... will wait until NGK makes the CPR8EIB-9
Cheers,
Roberto
Old 10-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #13870
BadKarmaPa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Howdy,

I think the clutch pull is pretty darn easy on the tenere. However, if the angle of the clutch lever is not adjusted propertly (too high in my case) then I will get a tired hand and wrist pretty quick. I ride with my levers angled pretty far down to keep the pull in line with my arms, thus maximizing the amount of muscle available to pull the clutch. I've never understood the fellas who have thier levers parallel with the road, they aren't making full use of all of their muscles. The angle may not have been an issue on your DR because the pull was so light. High power bikes need stiffer clutches to hold all that power however.
+1
I also rolled the bars back just a pinch. Now I have a chip in the paint on the left side of the fuel tank from the hand guard mount screw hitting the tank at left stop. So watch for that.
"A man could do worse than be a swinger of birches" Robert Frost
BadKarmaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #13871
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,887
Quote:
. And my DR 650 I was happy to get back on it. No Pressure on my wrists and hands at all. Got back on the Tenere and there it was again
It's the bar bend.. The GSA has the same issue. I wanted to stick a pipe on the end of the bars and bend the out to more of a 90. Of course I didn't do that. I just sold the bike. Lol

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:57 PM   #13872
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Also are any of you who are not feeling the pressure weigh close to me? 270lbs. Yep i know i will hear it now loose some weight ect. But it is a viable question.

Thanks
75 - 90Kg depending on the season (165 - 200lbs). Currently doing performance mods by dropping my weight back again.
75cm armpit to finger tips. 83cm inseam. 179cm total height.
I feel like I am in a beauty pageant

Seat on low. That's about it.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 10-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #13873
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

He he he. Well being 70 pounds of extra marbled meat (fat mingled with Muscle) I can say this effects everything I do differently. Good excuse to loose some poundage to enjoy a wonderful bike if it is due to weight. More Reps Less weight i guess.

Well thanks everyone for your two cents. Much appreciated. Clutch should be easy and I shouldn't get any heavy pressure in the hands.

You guys are great even to a noob who does not even own a Tenere.

Mucho Appreciated.

P.S.
I was riding the bike past Pluric's city of Bountiful a few times and could feel the spirit of Pluric whispering to me "Buy the Damn thing already!! I even glanced up at the ridge of the mountain and I swore I saw him at the top on one wheel waving at me-Pluric-Clint Eastwood whats the difference?

Ya i know he is Banned right now. So funny and weird.

boulder.

bouldertag screwed with this post 10-12-2012 at 04:55 PM
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #13874
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot View Post
The GSA has the same issue.
GSA????? people still ride them?
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:16 PM   #13875
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Ya i know he is Banned right now. So funny and weird.

boulder.
Yeah, Someone should get know him better me thinks.