Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2012, 09:50 AM   #13891
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,274
Two up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydream View Post
My pillion's butt got sore after 4-5 hours, which in itself is pretty darned good. After raising the front of the seat 3/8" (http://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=5932.0) and adding an AirHawk with just enough air to distribute how she contacts the seat, she is comfy all day and enthusiastic about going to ride.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #13892
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Rather than making a new thread

Has anyone been commuting 24/7/365 with their s10? What do you love about it in that role, what do you hate? Is the weight a problem backing into spots (uphill) and maneuvering in shitty parking lots? Is the OEM luggage up to the duty cycle (locks, seals, etc)?

I'm thinking T mode for the weekday and S mode for the weekends might just work for me, but I'm worried about weight, coming from a wee.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #13893
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Has anyone been commuting 24/7/365 with their s10? What do you love about it in that role, what do you hate? Is the weight a problem backing into spots (uphill) and maneuvering in shitty parking lots? Is the OEM luggage up to the duty cycle (locks, seals, etc)?

I'm thinking T mode for the weekday and S mode for the weekends might just work for me, but I'm worried about weight, coming from a wee.
Mine does commuter duty. I have the Micatech luggage, though, not OEM. I really like the Micatech's latch because I don't have to lock it and never do when I'm running around town. Makes tossing stuff in there and getting it out a complete non-issue since I don't have to fiddle around with a key every time I want to open it.

I use S mode everywhere except super slow bumper to bumper 5 o'clock traffic.

The weight of the bike is a non-issue even with parking.

I like my S10 better for commuting than any other bike I've had.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #13894
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Mine does commuter duty. I have the Micatech luggage, though, not OEM. I really like the Micatech's latch because I don't have to lock it and never do when I'm running around town. Makes tossing stuff in there and getting it out a complete non-issue since I don't have to fiddle around with a key every time I want to open it.

I use S mode everywhere except super slow bumper to bumper 5 o'clock traffic.

The weight of the bike is a non-issue even with parking.

I like my S10 better for commuting than any other bike I've had.
Do you use the sw-motech rack for them? how asymmetrical is it, and how wide is the ass with the luggage on-board?

Good to hear about the weight being a non-issue - what did you ride before the s10?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #13895
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:

If the parking spot is uphill, just pull into it. Back into the ones that are down hill.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 AM   #13896
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
If the parking spot is uphill, just pull into it. Back into the ones that are down hill.
We have spots here that are uphill both ways. I wish I was joking.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #13897
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I commute on mine 24/7/365. Works perfectly in that role for me; very flickable and quick around town and perfectly at home on the interstate stretches.

The weight isn't noticeable at all while moving, but I do have some minor difficulty backing mine. This is much more due to my lack of inseam, rather than the weight of the bike though; even if it were 100 pounds less but just as tall, I'd have the same issue. If there's any sort of incline or bumps, I'll just hop of and walk it in.

My commute doesn't necessitate luggage so I have no opinion there. I have heard that the factory luggage does pretty well, despite it's initially poor reputation (folks were saying it looks cheap/fragile). I've got some aluminum panniers for mine for whenever I get around to deciding on and purchasing some racks.

Mikef5000 screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 07:41 AM
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:52 AM   #13898
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Oddometer: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
AHA!!

Finally an explanation.....this combined with the seat tilt
Sounds about right. I had to go through allot of stop and go traffic before coming back to the dealers place.

Thanks,

bd
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #13899
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Do you use the sw-motech rack for them? how asymmetrical is it, and how wide is the ass with the luggage on-board?

Good to hear about the weight being a non-issue - what did you ride before the s10?
The racks that came with them from Micatech are indeed SW motech racks. They work just fine.

I've got a larger bag on the right side, so they aren't symmetrical, but I didn't buy them for looks. They work great.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:42 AM   #13900
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

I just went outside with a tape measure.

At the widest point, the Micatechs are 39". About the only time the width is an issue for me is trying to squeeze it into the garage, but you'll have to understand my garage is chuck-full of motorcycles. It's almost ridiculous at this point
Old 10-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #13901
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:

I've only had mine for about two months, but have used it for commuting virtually every day.

Roles:
Love's
- Great view of the road, in the heavy traffic, I sit up nice and high
- Decent MPG, I'm getting about 46mpg
- Great manueverability in the city (I'm honestly surprised at how manueverable it really is)
- Excellent braking, the ABS is very nice and it has a short stopping distance

Hate's
- because it is tall, it can be tough to move around while on the bike. But it isn't too bad if you dismount. The rear passenger grab is great thing to use to move the bike around parking spaces. I park in a garage, so it's pretty easy for me.

I can't comment on the Yamaha luggage system. I have pelican cases on mine. Will hold a large laptop with ease. Haven't leaked yet. You can get them from Caribou luggage or Twisted throttle.

Weight, it doesn't seem that heavy to me, especially once you are under way. It is a little heavy when rolling it around the garage, but IMO, it's not that difficult.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #13902
BadKarmaPa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
Quote:

I went with the HappyTrails panniers and adapted a Givi E36 for a top box. My commute is 26 miles of mostly interstate (means the S10 can really help make up time if I'm running late).
With 32" inseem I don't have any problem backing it if reasonably level ground.
Since 2004 I've been commuting year round 1st on a KLR, then a V-Strom 650, last year was a 2010 Scrambler. This winter I'll be studding the S10 tires for winter. Stay tuned, I'll let ya know how that works out.
The S10 is A LOT of bike just for commting. For me the S10 represents a financial commitment to do a whole lot more than commute
"A man could do worse than be a swinger of birches" Robert Frost
BadKarmaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:22 PM   #13903
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Well I found a bike for a great Deal. So I thought. There is a 2012 brand new one in Las Vegas for $12,500.00.
It is out of my state so I wouldn't pay taxes there. Only additional fees added to the 12.5 would be the dealer charges.

So here I am thinking this is looking like it will be a great deal and I get a call back from dealer saying the total without taxes with only the dealer fees and bike will be $13,362.83.

So dealer fees are $862.83. Does this sound right to everyone? I thought dealers maybe get about 300 to 450 on a sale.

I thought I read dealers don't make much on the bikes and that most of there money is on returning customer maintenance and selling other products..

Do you think this is still an ok deal?? I don't know. Frustrated now. 800+ bucks for putting a bike together, and housing it? Sounds real steep..
bd

bouldertag screwed with this post 10-15-2012 at 06:31 PM Reason: Poor Grammer
bouldertag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 PM   #13904
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
No dice. That seems outrageous. Get them to cut those fees in half.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #13905
bouldertag
WannabenarlyADV'rrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
No dice. That seems outrageous. Get them to cut those fees in half.
That is what I thought.

I will try to have them cut it in half. No wonder it is for 12.5. They get it somewhere else.

bd