Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #13921
Snake Doctor
Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer: 127
Whether you are buying a car, motorcycle, or boat, the principle is the same. What is written on the contract is what you are going to pay. If the dealership advertises a bike for $12,500, then throws on extra fees, don't buy the bike. Walk away, pisses off salesmen something fierce. Remember they are trying to sell you, not the other way around. Find a more honest dealership. Its no difference then going into a dealership, and seeing every bike farkeled out on the showroom floor with outrageously equalled price tags (Cough . . . .BMW), and having the salesmen throw the, "We can order it, but you'll be waiting awhile."

Know what you want, have a budget, and work with it. So many people walk in to dealerships with the, "Whats my monthly payment," opposed to the whats the actual price. Don't be afraid to negotiate, worst they can do is say no. When I bought my S10, it took playing between 3 different dealerships before I even decided on which one I would deal with. I already knew my build plan for the bike, so farkles meant nothing, and dealer fees were unacceptable, so I gave the salesman an offer, reduce the bike's price by the amount of the sales fees, or give me a credit for the amount of the fees toward services (Tires, oil, etc). He reduced the bike's price.

IBA# 55955
Snake Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #13922
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Doctor View Post
Whether you are buying a car, motorcycle, or boat, the principle is the same. What is written on the contract is what you are going to pay. If the dealership advertises a bike for $12,500, then throws on extra fees, don't buy the bike. Walk away, pisses off salesmen something fierce. Remember they are trying to sell you, not the other way around. Find a more honest dealership. Its no difference then going into a dealership, and seeing every bike farkeled out on the showroom floor with outrageously equalled price tags (Cough . . . .BMW), and having the salesmen throw the, "We can order it, but you'll be waiting awhile."

Know what you want, have a budget, and work with it. So many people walk in to dealerships with the, "Whats my monthly payment," opposed to the whats the actual price. Don't be afraid to negotiate, worst they can do is say no. When I bought my S10, it took playing between 3 different dealerships before I even decided on which one I would deal with. I already knew my build plan for the bike, so farkles meant nothing, and dealer fees were unacceptable, so I gave the salesman an offer, reduce the bike's price by the amount of the sales fees, or give me a credit for the amount of the fees toward services (Tires, oil, etc). He reduced the bike's price.
Words of wisdom!

I'm currently looking at S10 demo. Dealer wants 12500.00 without bags. I'm thinking of offering him 12500.00 with bags. Bike has about 300 miles on it and sits outside the dealership every day. Am I sane?
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #13923
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
I'm currently looking at S10 demo. Dealer wants 12500.00 without bags. I'm thinking of offering him 12500.00 with bags. Bike has about 300 miles on it and sits outside the dealership every day. Am I sane?
Seems like the going rate for a good deal on a S10 these days is in the $13K-$13.5K range (with all fees except TTL). Assuming the bags are worth a grand (more if top box is included), then you're looking at about an additional $1.5K-$2K discount for the demo miles if the dealer accepts your offer. Personally, this wouldn't be enough for me (I've seen what can happen with demo bikes), but many (most?) would probably think it a good value.

I doubt the dealer has $1K of play room in this deal but if you'd be happy with the deal, you have nothing to lose by making the offer.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:40 PM   #13924
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Seems like the going rate for a good deal on a S10 these days is in the $13K-$13.5K range (with all fees except TTL). Assuming the bags are worth a grand (more if top box is included), then you're looking at about an additional $1.5K-$2K discount for the demo miles if the dealer accepts your offer. Personally, this wouldn't be enough for me (I've seen what can happen with demo bikes), but many (most?) would probably think it a good value.

I doubt the dealer has $1K of play room in this deal but if you'd be happy with the deal, you have nothing to lose by making the offer.

- Mark
The bike has been sitting for so long I think I can make a deal. Thanks for the suggestion.
jub jub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #13925
1life1ride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Got a price from local dealer today ... 2012 Blue for $13,200.00 out the door ... headed back this week to put some money down .. This one is still in the crate

1life1ride screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 05:36 AM
1life1ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #13926
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony View Post
Got a price from local dealer today ... 2012 Blue for $13,200.00 out the door ... headed back this week to put some money down .. This one is still in the crete
Got Gear?

If so, that's a damn good OTD price. I paid a good bit more than that back in June when I bought mine.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:06 PM   #13927
Snake Doctor
Crazy Bearded F***er

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Words of wisdom!

Absolutely, get the bags

IBA# 55955
Snake Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:52 PM   #13928
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Worth noting, some dealerships around here trying to get rid of 2012's have been quoting mid 11's before fees.

My new 2012 was 11,399 before taxes; no dealer prep fees.

Just made the first payment yesterday.

Harding Park Cycle, Canton, Oh.

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #13929
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelpony View Post
Got a price from local dealer today ... 2012 Blue for $13,200.00 out the door ... headed back this week to put some money down .. This one is still in the crete
That's a good price for a bike shipped half way round the world..

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 10-17-2012 at 02:36 AM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:49 AM   #13930
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
That's a good price for a bike shipped half way round the world..
+1, I live just 3 hours from the factory but an S10 costs about $20K at the current exchange rate.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:42 AM   #13931
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Words of wisdom!

For a demo you should be able to get this at least 1k lower. In Atlanta I payed less than this for a new one with 0 miles. I personally would want the bike at the lower price, don't pay any fees like Documentation or Dealer Prep, and use the extra cash to purchase better bags than the factory ones.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #13932
clint64
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush2112_2112 View Post
For a demo you should be able to get this at least 1k lower. In Atlanta I payed less than this for a new one with 0 miles. I personally would want the bike at the lower price, don't pay any fees like Documentation or Dealer Prep, and use the extra cash to purchase better bags than the factory ones.
I am in North Atlanta as well. The S10 is on my short list for new bike. Can you tell me which dealer you used? What do you think of their service department? Thanks for your help.

Clint
clint64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:36 AM   #13933
Goldie05
Fast George

Oddometer: 632
For those considering buying a Super Tenere, don't buy it, it's a really crappy bike

I'm having so much fun with mine

Here's a video from a trip I took to Atlin, British Columbia, with the group during the "2012 First Super Tenere Gathering"

This trip was during my trip to Alaska with a stop in Whitehorse, Yukon for the gathering
Follow the link below "Alaska Trip" to see pictures of the day and a lot more

Riding USA Blog
GeorgeFPhotography
Goldie05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:35 AM   #13934
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,643
Is there some secret method to getting the rad cover off?

I unbuttoned about 60 bolts, and still couldn't get the damn thing off! Then, I had a helluva' time getting about 20 of those bolts back in.

I don't have a service manual...yet. So, what am I not doing correctly?

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #13935
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Did you pop the 2 plastic clips under the headlight?