Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #13936
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeper View Post
Did you pop the 2 plastic clips under the headlight?

No, I didn't.

I got frustrated when I couldn't get the actual rad cover and the blue piece of bodywork separated...and saw, what appeared to be, a whole lot of fasteners/bolts still left to undo.

I opted to quit while I was behind. I thought that, if I continued, I'd be hauling a half-assembled bike back to the dealer (with a shitload of fasteners and bodywork in my hands)...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:35 AM   #13937
crazyjeeper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
No, I didn't.

I got frustrated when I couldn't get the actual rad cover and the blue piece of bodywork separated...and saw, what appeared to be, a whole lot of fasteners/bolts still left to undo.

I opted to quit while I was behind. I thought that, if I continued, I'd be hauling a half-assembled bike back to the dealer (with a shitload of fasteners and bodywork in my hands)...

Ah, well those clips have to come out for the rad cover to come off. Just use the tip of a phillips screw driver or similar to push the button in the center in and that should release them. Then to reinstall, put the outer shell in the hole first, then insert the center button until its flush. I made the same discovery, that the piece of bodywork and the black rad cover are actually one piece. I was even able to get it out with the altrider crash bars still installed, it just took a little creativity.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #13938
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,206
Quote:
No, I didn't.

So how are you liking the S10 so far?
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:50 AM   #13939
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjeeper View Post
Ah, well those clips have to come out for the rad cover to come off. Just use the tip of a phillips screw driver or similar to push the button in the center in and that should release them. Then to reinstall, put the outer shell in the hole first, then insert the center button until its flush. I made the same discovery, that the piece of bodywork and the black rad cover are actually one piece. I was even able to get it out with the altrider crash bars still installed, it just took a little creativity.

Thanks, CJ. I appreciate it.

I really just need to get my dumbass a service manual...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jub jub View Post
So how are you liking the S10 so far?

Ya' know, Jubby, I'm likin' it.

I'm probably not the best litmus test, as I haven't had it very long (and don't have a lotta' miles on it). But, thusfar, it's been everything I wanted.

My only complaint, up to this point, is the low-speed/partial-throttle fueling. But, I have been assured that the the ECUnleashed reflash elimates that. And, that is a <$500 fix. So, that is a minimal complaint, at best (when you consider that much more expensive adventure bikes have their fair share of "teething" issues).

I wish the bike came with some engine protection. But, that complaint could be projected on any DS bike I've ever owned, and has already been addressed on my ST. I also wish it had a little more "hooligan" in its blood. But, my last "hooligan" bike had so many "issues" that I'm just not willing to trade the reliability for the "fun".

This really is a versatile bike. Obviously, you won't be entering any EnduroCross competitions with it (or most competitive events). But, I'd swear it'd do the other 90% of things you ask of it.

I turned 40, a coupla' years ago, and have reached the "no bullshit" point of my life. Therefore, If I buy a bike, I want to ride it...no issues, no nonsense. And, it appears this bike will fill that bill. It's the same reason I'd rather own a 'Vette over an Aston.

If you're really considering one, Jubby, I'd jump all over it. I'd go as far as to say that I don't think you'd regret it...not one bit.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 10-17-2012, 12:00 PM   #13940
NomorBills
WesternExplorer

Oddometer: 140
"My only complaint, up to this point, is the low-speed/partial-throttle fueling. But, I have been assured that the the ECUnleashed reflash elimates that. And, that is a <$500 fix. So, that is a minimal complaint, at best (when you consider that much more expensive adventure bikes have their fair share of "teething" issues)."

Before you spend $500 for a reflash. Try the Mini fuse jumper on the clutch switch. No more low speed stumble.
NomorBills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #13941
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Is there some secret method to getting the rad cover off?
6 bolts (removable with the allen under the seat) and 2 plastic clips:

Bolts circled, clips are behind the two solid circles.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #13942
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,350
im pretty sure you only have to take off the bottom 4 bolts to get at the radatior
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #13943
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,168
Oh, and it does come with engine protection. Very sturdy sliders on each side that will support the bike in a fall. There is a video somewhere. I have nothing extra, just saying!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #13944
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomorBills View Post
"My only complaint, up to this point, is the low-speed/partial-throttle fueling. But, I have been assured that the the ECUnleashed reflash elimates that. And, that is a <$500 fix. So, that is a minimal complaint, at best (when you consider that much more expensive adventure bikes have their fair share of "teething" issues)."

Before you spend $500 for a reflash. Try the Mini fuse jumper on the clutch switch. No more low speed stumble.
+1

The clutch switch mod is pretty amazingly effective, especially for the price. If you are too cheap for a fuse, a scrap of stripped wire will work to prove the concept.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #13945
GoNotShow
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:

The mini fuse also increases the "hooligan" factor significantly. You've been warned.
GoNotShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #13946
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
6 bolts (removable with the allen under the seat) and 2 plastic clips:

Bolts circled, clips are behind the two solid circles.

This ^^^ is exactly what a mechanically-inept dumbass, like me, needs...pitchers.

Thanks, Mike. You score that RUMBUX set-up, yet?...

Quote:
...Before you spend $500 for a reflash. Try the Mini fuse jumper on the clutch switch. No more low speed stumble.

Yeah, I've been thinkin' about trying that. Thanks...

Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #13947
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
Anyone have a good suggestion for battery tender routing? Yeah, I could figure it out myself, but a major reason for getting this bike was no time to waste in the garage..quicker to go in with a plan

'12 Tenere, '04 Tiger, '09 WRR, '06 DRZ, '06 TW, '01 250 EXC, '09 KLR
Gundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:01 PM   #13948
BobLoblaw
Comfortably Numb

Oddometer: 1,386
Quote:

it mutes that annoying poor fueling between 3000/4000 +/- rpm but it does NOT eliminate it. Throttle response however is improved and very enjoyable.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:00 PM   #13949
jub jub
frumiousbandersnatch

Oddometer: 12,206
Quote:
Thanks, CJ. I appreciate it.

I really just need to get my dumbass a service manual...

Ya' know, Jubby, I'm likin' it.

I'm probably not the best litmus test, as I haven't had it very long (and don't have a lotta' miles on it). But, thusfar, it's been everything I wanted.

My only complaint, up to this point, is the low-speed/partial-throttle fueling. But, I have been assured that the the ECUnleashed reflash elimates that. And, that is a <$500 fix. So, that is a minimal complaint, at best (when you consider that much more expensive adventure bikes have their fair share of "teething" issues).

I wish the bike came with some engine protection. But, that complaint could be projected on any DS bike I've ever owned, and has already been addressed on my ST. I also wish it had a little more "hooligan" in its blood. But, my last "hooligan" bike had so many "issues" that I'm just not willing to trade the reliability for the "fun".

This really is a versatile bike. Obviously, you won't be entering any EnduroCross competitions with it (or most competitive events). But, I'd swear it'd do the other 90% of things you ask of it.

I turned 40, a coupla' years ago, and have reached the "no bullshit" point of my life. Therefore, If I buy a bike, I want to ride it...no issues, no nonsense. And, it appears this bike will fill that bill. It's the same reason I'd rather own a 'Vette over an Aston.

If you're really considering one, Jubby, I'd jump all over it. I'd go as far as to say that I don't think you'd regret it...not one bit.

Thanks for your opinion. Sounds like you really like the bike and appreciate the bike for what it's designed for. I'm really wanting to jump on the one at the local Yami dealer, but can't quite pull the trigger. I don't know what I'm waiting for? Ugh, what to do?
jub jub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:41 PM   #13950
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Thanks, Mike. You score that RUMBUX set-up, yet?...
No problem. And the bars are being built as we speak! Plus I got the built in 'clip-nuts' to make oil changes even easier, and they're en route too! I'm pumped, I go on a weekly dual sport ride on my WRR, and with just a few tweaks I think the Tenere will handle most of it, so that skid plate is going to get a heck of a workout.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote