Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 01:01 PM   #14086
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,878
Mine did that after an oil change. Same thing, panic pull over thinking the filter had
come off or a loose drain plug. Let it sit a moment sight glass was fine. Started it
up and it never came on again.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #14087
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
It is an oil level light, not pressure.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #14088
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by airheadpilot View Post

Anyone else have an experience like this? I'm assuming that my hard revving while cold meant that the thicker, cold oil couldn't circulate fast enough, but that frankly seems a little strange to me.

Thanks,

Andrew
2012 Super Tenere

Hi Andrew.

As Fred said it's an oil Level warning light not a pressure light.
As Bundu said put a few extra mm in the thing to bring it up to the full level if you are worried.

The basic explanation is.

With dry sump motors you have the oil being scavenged from the bottom of the motor and pumped back into the reservoir tank. It is picked up from that tank and pumped through the motor and it all drips back down into the collector at the bottom of the engine where it is picked up again and pumped back to the tank.

You have two drain plugs on the S10, one at the rear which drains the majority of the oil in the tank and one toward the front of the bike that drains the small amount left in the plate.

When the bike is cold it sometimes takes a bit longer for the oil to get back to the tank and the level drops which means you probably have more oil in the motor than usual not less, if you get my drift.

So you can fill the thing to the top of the sight glass without any consideration of the engine "drowning in oil" because the oil doesn't sit in the engine. No pistons will be slopping around in too much oil. (within reason that is).

So fill it up to the top of the glass and be happy.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:35 AM   #14089
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,705
Kind of ironic but mine did that for the first time just the other day. After a few seconds of panic, I remembered that others had reported the same non-event. The oil level was in the sight glass but on the low side.

Also, if you read the owner's manual it addresses this specific phenomenon. I'm paraphrasing," Even if the engine has sufficient oil it is normal for the low oil light to momentarily come on during periods of extreme acceleration, deceleration, or riding on an slope."

sparkyairracing.com
scottie boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #14090
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouldertag View Post
ok so in the US how does this sound. I am gong to offer 13.5 tax license etc. out the door complete.

If no go i will not go above 13.8. that is the highest i will go out the door.

unreasonable let me know.

bd
I'm probably a little late to this party. Did you ever get your wife to see the light?

Here's one just over the border....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...&search=tenere
Old 11-03-2012, 02:48 AM   #14091
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I'm probably a little late to this party. Did you ever get your wife to see the light?

Here's one just over the border....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218...&search=tenere
Those are some good prices!
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #14092
Earthscape
Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Even if Kawasaki would bring back the KLX 650 with a few updates.
I also think it would be great if Kawasaki brought the KLX650 back. I don't think they gave it enough of a chance back when it was available, and the choices in that class now, at least in the US, are not plentiful. A 650 with liquid cooling, Japanese reliability and 11" travel suspension would be, and was, a great bike.
Write to Kawasaki, tell them you want it - ??

2004 KTM 950 ADV : : : : : : : 1998 Triumph Tiger
1999 KTM 640 ADV : : : : : : : 1993 Kawasaki KLX650
2007 Kawasaki KLX350S : : : : 1996 Yamaha XT350
Earthscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:21 AM   #14093
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,710
Thumb KLR Twin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthscape View Post
I also think it would be great if Kawasaki brought the KLX650 back. I don't think they gave it enough of a chance back when it was available, and the choices in that class now, at least in the US, are not plentiful. A 650 with liquid cooling, Japanese reliability and 11" travel suspension would be, and was, a great bike.
Write to Kawasaki, tell them you want it - ??

If Kawasaki builds something I personally hope it would be something a lot more like this...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797568

That's a KLR with a Versys 650 Twin inserted into it. I have met the gentleman who built the bike in the pictures (he just purchased my personal Versys so he can build another one in a 2nd Generation KLR donor), and from what he says this type of sled might be what many of us are looking for... BTW, apparently the Versys twin is no heavier than the KLR single it replaces. He also said the Versys engine had smoother, better power in off-road situations, yet could also easily cruise at over 85 MPH all day long on the slab.

If Kawasaki could build an under 400-lb Versys-engine-based twin with *REAL* off-road capable suspension, a 21"/18" wheel combination, and a real dual-purpose riding position I think they'd have a real market winner on its hands.

Just my two centavos... OMMV.

Dallara

p.s. - BTW, the builder of the bike above is considering the idea of building these KLR/Versys hybrids and making them available for sale.

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #14094
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
I saw one of these at Roll the Bones a couple weekends ago:

Old 11-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #14095
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,710
Laugh Same one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
I saw one of these at Roll the Bones a couple weekends ago:

That's the same bike, and the same guy... He just had his bags, skidplate, etc. mounted up. He told me he did the "Roll the Bones" rally after he had returned from his extended trip to Moab, etc.

Really nice guy. Very smart, and obviously very capable. He used the entire Versys wiring harness, Versys handlebar switch assemblies (and he even installed electronic cruise control!!! ), adapted the Versys instrument panel to the KLR dash and fairing, used an 650 Ninja twin radiator to fit underneath the KLR bodywork, adapted the Versys shift linkage, etc., etc., etc., etc.

Hard to tell Kawasaki didn't build it themselves.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #14096
NicolasR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Transmission leaking??

Hi. I just got back from a 700 kilometer-ride and just saw me rear wheel being all splashed with something. Apparently my bike is leaking oil from the transmission. It had a big drop of oil still holding beneath the tranny.
It is definitely oil cause of the smell. I did the first oil change at 1000 kilometers adding the exact amount of oil the manual says and it dripped through the refilling hole.
My bike has now 3500 kilometers. Have you had the same problem?? Would it be definitely a leak??? I have heard of some bikes that have too much grease from factory in the rear spindles and it melts out as you ride.

I have another question for you guys. I keep hearing a "click" noise coming from the front end when the suspension is sagging through medium to bigger bumps. What would it be??

As you see English is not my native language!!!!

Nicolas
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #14097
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
If Kawasaki builds something I personally hope it would be something a lot more like this...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797568

~
Rare to see that clean of a frankenstien bike. At first I thought you just wanted a first
generation KLR to come back then looked close. I think I would still prefer to have it
shoe horned into the KLX model.

I bet that bike opens a few eyes to those who try and run with it not knowing what's under the hood.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #14098
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
Hi. I just got back from a 700 kilometer-ride and just saw me rear wheel being all splashed with something. Apparently my bike is leaking oil from the transmission. It had a big drop of oil still holding beneath the tranny.
It is definitely oil cause of the smell. I did the first oil change at 1000 kilometers adding the exact amount of oil the manual says and it dripped through the refilling hole.
My bike has now 3500 kilometers. Have you had the same problem?? Would it be definitely a leak??? I have heard of some bikes that have too much grease from factory in the rear spindles and it melts out as you ride.

I have another question for you guys. I keep hearing a "click" noise coming from the front end when the suspension is sagging through medium to bigger bumps. What would it be??

Nicolas
Check your sump area to be safe. Both drain plug zones too.
Not heard of a single leaking case without some sort of impact.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:08 PM   #14099
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post

Nicolas
Hola Nicolas

I don't know about the transmission leak but check the steering bolt to the "click" noise.... as you see English is not my native language as well
Saludos!
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #14100
NicolasR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Hola Nicolas

I don't know about the transmission leak but check the steering bolt to the "click" noise.... as you see English is not my native language as well
Saludos!
Jaumev saludos. Ahora cuando llegue y vi la fuga de aceite por debajo de la transmisión la limpie, y hace unos minutos fui a ver y no tiene más aceite por ningun lado. No se que podria ser. Yo he no hecho off road como para darle un golpe como dice Pluric.
Tu tambien oias el click como por la dirección o la suspension. La tuerca que debo apretar es la que tiene el tapón de caucho??

Gracias
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote