Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2012, 12:26 PM   #14101
NicolasR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Check your sump area to be safe. Both drain plug zones too.
Not heard of a single leaking case without some sort of impact.
Pluric, I have checked my sump, my drain plugs from engine and final drive, and there is no oil coming from there. It is coming from the back of the final drive case, as if it were from the axle. Any idea??? Although I wiped the oil off and there is no more coming from anywhere..
NicolasR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #14102
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Laugh Sum greater than the parts...

Quote:
Rare to see that clean of a frankenstien bike. At first I thought you just wanted a first
generation KLR to come back then looked close. I think I would still prefer to have it
shoe horned into the KLX model.

I bet that bike opens a few eyes to those who try and run with it not knowing what's under the hood.

The thread about the bike is worth a read...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797568

And the picture gallery of the build are worth a few minutes of perusal, too...

https://plus.google.com/photos/11351...641?banner=pwa

I visited with the builder for quite some time and he had some great stories to tell, as well as enlightening insight as to how he came to construct the project. One of the best stories he had was from the "Roll the Bones" rally...

Apparently one day he rode along with a group of seven or eight riders that he didn't know. A couple of Beemer G/S riders, a KTM or two, and some other KLR's. They rode together all day, and at one stop late in the day one of the other riders mentioned that he had heard that "that guy that built the KLR/Versys bike is at the rally somewhere..." (I'm paraphrasing), not realizing he had been riding next to the very bike and rider all day. Seems none of the other riders in the group realized it until the builder told them...

Said it was kind of high praise that no one had noticed it wasn't a Kawasaki factory built machine.

Another good story was about his letting a BMW G/S owner ride the bike. According to him when the Beemer rider returned he wanted to immediately swap his nearly new G/S for the "Frankenbike" KLR/Versys - even!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #14103
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicolasR View Post
Pluric, I have checked my sump, my drain plugs from engine and final drive, and there is no oil coming from there. It is coming from the back of the final drive case, as if it were from the axle. Any idea??? Although I wiped the oil off and there is no more coming from anywhere..
My first FJR had a seal leak on the rear hub. Similar to what you explained. You could have had been a bit
of dirt or something cause a temporary leak. If cleaned up and no sign of a current leak I would just check
the rear hub oil level and keep an eye on it for a few days.

If you're really concerned you could pull the rear wheel and see if there is any sign of oil/grease in the
spline area. Hope it's just a minor one time event for you.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:55 PM   #14104
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Jaumev saludos. Ahora cuando llegue y vi la fuga de aceite por debajo de la transmisión la limpie, y hace unos minutos fui a ver y no tiene más aceite por ningun lado. No se que podria ser. Yo he no hecho off road como para darle un golpe como dice Pluric.
Tu tambien oias el click como por la dirección o la suspension. La tuerca que debo apretar es la que tiene el tapón de caucho??

Gracias
Okay I did understand one word. I assume the rest is something about "How does that lucky bastard get
all the women?" Am I close?
Old 11-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #14105
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Okay I did understand one word. I assume the rest is something about "How does that lucky bastard get
all the women?" Am I close?
No, you are not closer at all. You need to improve your poor Spanish
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #14106
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Quote:
Jaumev saludos. Ahora cuando llegue y vi la fuga de aceite por debajo de la transmisión la limpie, y hace unos minutos fui a ver y no tiene más aceite por ningun lado. No se que podria ser. Yo he no hecho off road como para darle un golpe como dice Pluric.
Tu tambien oias el click como por la dirección o la suspension. La tuerca que debo apretar es la que tiene el tapón de caucho??

Gracias
Hola Nicolás, lo siento, no tengo ni idea de que puede ser lo de la transmisión.
Al poco de tener la moto notaba un poco de juego en la dirección y era la tuerca grande que queda debajo del manillar. Ahora no tengo la moto en casa pero creo que sí lleva un tapón de cucho.
Si no recuerdo mal antes de apretarla hay que aflojar los tornillos de las tijas de la suspensión, lo hizo mi mecánico y no lo recuerdo exactamente, si no lo ves claro se lo puedo preguntar.

Estoy seguro que Pluric puede aportar sus profundos conocimientos de mecánica, ¿no crees?. Aúnque si fuera sobre mujeres seguro que acertaría aún más, es un experto!

(Uff, que alivio poder escribir algo sin el corrector del word!! )

Are you agree with the solution Pluric?
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #14107
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,393
That's an impressive build Dallara, dude has serious talent.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:34 PM   #14108
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Okay, so I read it again and now believe he is saying "Senior Pluric has the balls of a bull to
flip off a policeman."

Old 11-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #14109
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Geez, no one is any help around here.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #14110
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah, blah farm animals. Blah, blah, blah, blah jaumev. Blah, blah blah, blah arrested.
Blah, blah, blah, sorry. Blah, blah, blah, blah family upset. Blah, blah, blah, not the first time.

It's all Spanish to me.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:45 PM   #14111
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Hola Nicolás, lo siento, no tengo ni idea de que puede ser lo de la transmisión.
Al poco de tener la moto notaba un poco de juego en la dirección y era la tuerca grande que queda debajo del manillar. Ahora no tengo la moto en casa pero creo que sí lleva un tapón de cucho.
Si no recuerdo mal antes de apretarla hay que aflojar los tornillos de las tijas de la suspensión, lo hizo mi mecánico y no lo recuerdo exactamente, si no lo ves claro se lo puedo preguntar.

Estoy seguro que Pluric puede aportar sus profundos conocimientos de mecánica, ¿no crees?. Aúnque si fuera sobre mujeres seguro que acertaría aún más, es un experto!

(Uff, que alivio poder escribir algo sin el corrector del word!! )

Are you agree with the solution Pluric?
Ha! Google translate to the rescue.....

Hi Nicholas, sorry, I have no idea what may be the transmission.
Shortly after having the bike felt a little play in the steering and was the largest remaining nut under the handlebar. Now I have the bike at home but I think it takes a plug of Ayacucho.
If I remember correctly before tightening the screws, loosen the suspension seatposts, my mechanic and he did not remember exactly, if you do not see it clear I can ask.

I'm sure Pluric can bring their deep knowledge of mechanics, do not you think?. Although it's on women even more certain that would be correct, is an expert!

(Whew, what a relief to write something without the spelling of word!)
Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #14112
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,744
NicolasR

Had the same problem. Turned out it was only packing grease on the knuckles of the shaft drive. Once its melted, it'll never happen again. Just ride it and no problemo.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #14113
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
If Kawasaki builds something I personally hope it would be something a lot more like this...

That's a KLR with a Versys 650 Twin inserted into it. I have met the gentleman who built the bike in the pictures (he just purchased my personal Versys so he can build another one in a 2nd Generation KLR donor), and from what he says this type of sled might be what many of us are looking for... BTW, apparently the Versys twin is no heavier than the KLR single it replaces. He also said the Versys engine had smoother, better power in off-road situations, yet could also easily cruise at over 85 MPH all day long on the slab.

If Kawasaki could build an under 400-lb Versys-engine-based twin with *REAL* off-road capable suspension, a 21"/18" wheel combination, and a real dual-purpose riding position I think they'd have a real market winner on its hands.

Just my two centavos... OMMV.

Dallara

p.s. - BTW, the builder of the bike above is considering the idea of building these KLR/Versys hybrids and making them available for sale.

~
The holy grail of all KLR riders. I'd by one of these in a heartbeat!
wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #14114
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Thumb Let him know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
The holy grail of all KLR riders. I'd by one of these in a heartbeat!

Then you should jump on his build thread...

And post up that you're interesting in purchasing one. He's in the process of determining how much interest there is in offering complete KLR/Versys hybrid/conversion bikes for sale. He can build 'em, and from what he told me he can turn one out pretty quickly as long as he can source the proper donor bikes in a reasonable amount of time. He's working on his second one now, and is already thinking about the third.

Some of his solutions to the problem of the installing the Versys engine in the KLR chassis are pretty brilliant... Some because they are so *simple* relatively - like flipping the Versys throttle body upside down to allow him to use the stock KLR airbox. Another great point is that literally every part in the build is a Kawasaki one. That, of course, means that you can walk into any Kawasaki store on the planet and find the parts you need to maintain it. He told me he really worked hard at making sure it would be easy to maintain, easy to work on, and just as easy as either donor Kawasaki models to find parts for.

And the best part is that when he was all through the bike only weighed like 5-lbs more than a stock KLR-650!!! But with, what? Something like nearly double the power!

Remember, these Versys/Ninja 650/ER-6n engines (modified, of course) have been winning AMA Mile flat-track races this past season.

If you really are interested it's worth posting in his thread and dropping him a PM.

Just FYI...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 11-05-2012 at 06:51 PM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #14115
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 765
Cool thread, and I posted over there sayin' if he's building, I'm buying! Cool bike.
zgfiredude is offline   Reply With Quote