ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #14116
RockyDS
Wizened adventurer

Oddometer: 298

Another ex KLR owner.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #14117
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Does the wfo-pete stand for Whine Fucking Often? You'd complain if you got hung with a new rope.
I am beginning to believe that.

Reminds me of another forum I frequent. I bought Goldwing this summer so that Linda would do more longer distance riding with me. It was worked great for that.

The GL1800 Forum has great technical information but is full of WFO's that complain about everything all the time. Most of them didn't see the humor when I suggested they change the forum name to the "Grumpy Old Men Forum".
Old 11-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #14118
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,520
Why a KLR if you can have a SUper Ténéré?

Come on grandpa's, forget your old fashioned KLR (and wfopete) and ride the incredible Super Ténéré. You can do the same but more refined and fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQRU...1&feature=plcp
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 AM   #14119
wfopete
Suffer Fools; Gladly!

Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie boy View Post
He's just a shit stirring troll. The first few hundred times it was funny but now it's just like a skipping record. If you don't like the S10 then don't buy it.
Still have both. Use the S10 as a daily driver commuter bike and the KLR for anything more challenging than gravel roads. Funny thing, last weekend a group in Arkansas did a S10 "Fall Color Tour" ride. Everyone opted for the more Tarmac route except one other guy and myself as I led us onto the dirtier side of the ride.

Too bad I didn't have my KLR, I could have just gone around this little issue but I was on the S10 and well...you know.

Pretty much sums it up:

RIDING the TAT? CHECK IT OUT: TAT SHAK

ARA - Adventure Riders of Arkansas
wfopete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #14120
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Come on grandpa's, forget your old fashioned KLR (and wfopete) and ride the incredible Super Ténéré. You can do the same but more refined and fun!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yQRU...1&feature=plcp
My old beat up KLR makes a great big city commuting bike here in Texas. It is cheap to operate, goes 300 plus miles between fill-ups, and I don't care what the Texas Sun does to it sitting in the parking lot all day.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #14121
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by simmons1 View Post
I am beginning to believe that.

Reminds me of another forum I frequent. I bought Goldwing this summer so that Linda would do more longer distance riding with me. It was worked great for that.

The GL1800 Forum has great technical information but is full of WFO's that complain about everything all the time. Most of them didn't see the humor when I suggested they change the forum name to the "Grumpy Old Men Forum".
Yup, classic case of........

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #14122
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Sad to say, I'm still a KLR owner with dim prospects for an S-10 in my future.

That makes 2 of us at least!!!
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #14123
scottie boy
Homebrew Guru

Oddometer: 1,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfopete View Post
Still have both. Use the S10 as a daily driver commuter bike and the KLR for anything more challenging than gravel roads. Funny thing, last weekend a group in Arkansas did a S10 "Fall Color Tour" ride. Everyone opted for the more Tarmac route except one other guy and myself as I led us onto the dirtier side of the ride.

Too bad I didn't have my KLR, I could have just gone around this little issue but I was on the S10 and well...you know.

I didn't know that you actually owned one. Still if the bike is the pile of crap that you say it is then sell it. Why would you own a vehicle that you detest? Move on to something else that makes you happy.

I'm not one of those fan boys who claims that the S10 is perfect because its not. However, there isn't a perfect bike out there. I think my S10's attributes far outweigh its faults.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #14124
beasty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Hi Guys

Went to start my S10 this morning, wouldn't start. Been sitting under cover in a barn for about two weeks on its trickle charger. Pressed the starter plenty of juice but would not fire up until about the sixth go with full throttle, anybody else had this happen?
beasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #14125
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 17,493
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasty View Post
Hi Guys

Went to start my S10 this morning, wouldn't start. Been sitting under cover in a barn for about two weeks on its trickle charger. Pressed the starter plenty of juice but would not fire up until about the sixth go with full throttle, anybody else had this happen?
Fairly common. Acts flooded. Crank it with the throttle open and it will fire up.
Does take a some cranking. Mines done it twice after sitting for a long time.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #14126
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,810
Quote:
Come on, are all of you ex KLR owners? Was this bike so good or you are a group of nostalgic grandpas??

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go back to lurker-mode as I don't own a SuperT"....... Yet!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #14127
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Sorry, I think something happened in this thread.
Time ago was a Super Tenere forum but suddenly changed talking about prehistoric bikes!!
Is that a nightmare?

Come on, are all of you ex KLR owners? Was this bike so good or you are a group of nostalgic grandpas??

wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #14128
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 2,077
Cool2 Everything is relative...

Quote:
Sorry, I think something happened in this thread.
Time ago was a Super Tenere forum but suddenly changed talking about prehistoric bikes!!
Is that a nightmare?

Hey, *NOBODY* loves their Super Ténéré more than I love mine. It's a truly fantastic motorcycle.

That said, IMHO, there is no better "Apocalypse Bike" than the Kawasaki KLR-650. It's been around, largely unchanged, for literally decades. Parts are readily, and quickly available. It has *HUGE* aftermarket support, and not just for accessories and farkles, but for actual hard parts, too. It is stunningly simple to work on, and requires perhaps the fewest number of "special" tools to do so of any modern motorcycle. Once just a couple of truly minor, easy to fix, issues are addressed it is reliable as a rock. It may not be anywhere near a motocrosser or hare scrambles racer, but it will go just about anywhere... And unless you get it in someplace truly impossible just about anybody can pick it up, by themselves, if it gets dumped... Certainly easier to pick up in a tough spot than the big Yamaha.

Maybe all that is why the military uses 'em.

They are also stupidly cheap to buy, own, operate, and maintain. They hold their value well once they hit a certain level, and you can sell them fast if need be, but find another one quickly and inexpensively if you wish. They are also stupid-cheap to insure.

Oh, and they get phenomenal gas mileage, too... And all while be pretty damn comfortable. They may not be a road racer, or stop like a GP bike, but with a big front disc, some decent pads, and some steel-braided lines the brakes work fairly well... And with the right rider you can actually embarrass sportbike folks on tight roads.

My point is, if there is one motorcycle you keep around as a "glad it's there 'cuz it's so cheap to keep" motorcycle, a KLR is it.

I gave my son mine wonderful '03 model, and I already miss it. I may even get another here soon... Or I may try a Suzuki DR650. But IMHO there is nothing more truly *usable* overall than a big, dual-sport single like the KLR.

Just my two centavos... YMMV.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #14129
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 11,071
Hmm, well said.

Although I've owned 4 KLRs (2005, 2006, 2008 - wifes, 2009) and they were all pretty much lumps of shit. But looking back on the ownership experience I recall the good times, not the bad. Rose colored glasses and all that. I sure wouldn't own another one but your post almost makes me want to... you know, for when the zombies come.

That's my 2006 KLR against the Lake Michigan sunrise in my avatar, BTW....

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #14130
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Still miss mine, mostly because of the elbow grease I put into making it the bike it should be off the showroom floor.

Doesn't hold a candle to the S10 though.

That being said, there are things I won't be doing on the Yammie