User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #14146
beasty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Hi Guys

Went to start my S10 this morning, wouldn't start. Been sitting under cover in a barn for about two weeks on its trickle charger. Pressed the starter plenty of juice but would not fire up until about the sixth go with full throttle, anybody else had this happen?
beasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 PM   #14147
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasty View Post
Hi Guys

Went to start my S10 this morning, wouldn't start. Been sitting under cover in a barn for about two weeks on its trickle charger. Pressed the starter plenty of juice but would not fire up until about the sixth go with full throttle, anybody else had this happen?
Fairly common. Acts flooded. Crank it with the throttle open and it will fire up.
Does take a some cranking. Mines done it twice after sitting for a long time.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #14148
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Come on, are all of you ex KLR owners? Was this bike so good or you are a group of nostalgic grandpas??

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'll go back to lurker-mode as I don't own a SuperT"....... Yet!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #14149
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 330
Quote:
Sorry, I think something happened in this thread.
Time ago was a Super Tenere forum but suddenly changed talking about prehistoric bikes!!
Is that a nightmare?

Come on, are all of you ex KLR owners? Was this bike so good or you are a group of nostalgic grandpas??

wolftrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #14150
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,707
Cool2 Everything is relative...

Quote:
Sorry, I think something happened in this thread.
Time ago was a Super Tenere forum but suddenly changed talking about prehistoric bikes!!
Is that a nightmare?

Hey, *NOBODY* loves their Super Ténéré more than I love mine. It's a truly fantastic motorcycle.

That said, IMHO, there is no better "Apocalypse Bike" than the Kawasaki KLR-650. It's been around, largely unchanged, for literally decades. Parts are readily, and quickly available. It has *HUGE* aftermarket support, and not just for accessories and farkles, but for actual hard parts, too. It is stunningly simple to work on, and requires perhaps the fewest number of "special" tools to do so of any modern motorcycle. Once just a couple of truly minor, easy to fix, issues are addressed it is reliable as a rock. It may not be anywhere near a motocrosser or hare scrambles racer, but it will go just about anywhere... And unless you get it in someplace truly impossible just about anybody can pick it up, by themselves, if it gets dumped... Certainly easier to pick up in a tough spot than the big Yamaha.

Maybe all that is why the military uses 'em.

They are also stupidly cheap to buy, own, operate, and maintain. They hold their value well once they hit a certain level, and you can sell them fast if need be, but find another one quickly and inexpensively if you wish. They are also stupid-cheap to insure.

Oh, and they get phenomenal gas mileage, too... And all while be pretty damn comfortable. They may not be a road racer, or stop like a GP bike, but with a big front disc, some decent pads, and some steel-braided lines the brakes work fairly well... And with the right rider you can actually embarrass sportbike folks on tight roads.

My point is, if there is one motorcycle you keep around as a "glad it's there 'cuz it's so cheap to keep" motorcycle, a KLR is it.

I gave my son mine wonderful '03 model, and I already miss it. I may even get another here soon... Or I may try a Suzuki DR650. But IMHO there is nothing more truly *usable* overall than a big, dual-sport single like the KLR.

Just my two centavos... YMMV.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #14151
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,225
Hmm, well said.

Although I've owned 4 KLRs (2005, 2006, 2008 - wifes, 2009) and they were all pretty much lumps of shit. But looking back on the ownership experience I recall the good times, not the bad. Rose colored glasses and all that. I sure wouldn't own another one but your post almost makes me want to... you know, for when the zombies come.

That's my 2006 KLR against the Lake Michigan sunrise in my avatar, BTW....

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #14152
Gundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 762
Still miss mine, mostly because of the elbow grease I put into making it the bike it should be off the showroom floor.

Doesn't hold a candle to the S10 though.

That being said, there are things I won't be doing on the Yammie

Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #14153
gregdee
Motocampist

Oddometer: 353
Wtfo?

What the heck? I am here trying to gather information on my next possible ride and all I get is a bunch of crap about how great the KLR is? I know how great the KLR is, I have one and it rocks! So how on earth is one supposed to justify to their wife (who is sitting right here next to me - she rides a DR650 herself) a decision about what their next ride ought to be? Guess it won't be the Yamaha. Perhaps the guys over on the MTS1200 and the Explorer threads are a little more enthusiastic about their rides. Sheesh!

gregdee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #14154
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,707
Laugh Reading is fundamental...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregdee View Post
What the heck? I am here trying to gather information on my next possible ride and all I get is a bunch of crap about how great the KLR is? I know how great the KLR is, I have one and it rocks! So how on earth is one supposed to justify to their wife (who is sitting right here next to me - she rides a DR650 herself) a decision about what their next ride ought to be? Guess it won't be the Yamaha. Perhaps the guys over on the MTS1200 and the Explorer threads are a little more enthusiastic about their rides. Sheesh!

What was it you said?

"Sheesh!"

Have you read much in this thread? It might help if you read more than the last couple of pages...

I own a Super Ténéré, and as I have posted many times here, and elsewhere, it may very well be the best motorcycle I have ever owned. I have put more than 25,000 miles in just over a year of ownership. It is a spectacular motorcycle, and a far better long-distance mount than a KLR will ever be.

If you talking about my previous comments in the past couple of pages about the KLR *please* take them in context - i.e. if the world as we know ended tomorrow (and it could the way the friggin' election is going, damn it!) you could do a hell of a lot worse than having a KLR-650 as your "Apocalypse Bike".

The Super Ténéré is by far the best pavement bike of the two, but for really technical off-road terrain IMHO the KLR holds the edge... I ride more on pavement, though, so for me the big Yamaha is a better choice.

Doesn't mean I won't have another KLR in my future, or something like it.

Before you judge the Super Ténéré, or its owners, so harshly you have about 940 other pages to read!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #14155
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,277
Quote:
Yep, this is the wrong thread for you. No info here.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #14156
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,855
With all these nice KLR shots I couldn't help noticing they all were missing the most
important KLR farkle. So I thought I would put together a group buy.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #14157
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,909
Quote:
What the heck?.... Sheesh!
I am a single bike kind of guy. I want something that will do about anything. That bike doesn't exist. But the YAMAHA is as close as I have got. If you understand the word compromise, YAMAHA have done a really intelligent job of it.

Seriously.

And the YAMAHA probably will survive the apocalypse, it's just you may start loosing some features as the years go by. It will still keep going though. Eventually after many decades post apocalypse the YAMAHA may end up so degraded that it will start to resemble riding a KLR.

It may still be hard to pick up for some folk though.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-06-2012 at 11:47 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #14158
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Hey, *NOBODY* loves their Super Ténéré more than I love mine. It's a truly fantastic motorcycle.

That said, IMHO, there is no better "Apocalypse Bike" than the Kawasaki KLR-650. It's been around, largely unchanged, for literally decades. Parts are readily, and quickly available. It has *HUGE* aftermarket support, and not just for accessories and farkles, but for actual hard parts, too. It is stunningly simple to work on, and requires perhaps the fewest number of "special" tools to do so of any modern motorcycle. Once just a couple of truly minor, easy to fix, issues are addressed it is reliable as a rock. It may not be anywhere near a motocrosser or hare scrambles racer, but it will go just about anywhere... And unless you get it in someplace truly impossible just about anybody can pick it up, by themselves, if it gets dumped... Certainly easier to pick up in a tough spot than the big Yamaha.

Maybe all that is why the military uses 'em.

They are also stupidly cheap to buy, own, operate, and maintain. They hold their value well once they hit a certain level, and you can sell them fast if need be, but find another one quickly and inexpensively if you wish. They are also stupid-cheap to insure.

Oh, and they get phenomenal gas mileage, too... And all while be pretty damn comfortable. They may not be a road racer, or stop like a GP bike, but with a big front disc, some decent pads, and some steel-braided lines the brakes work fairly well... And with the right rider you can actually embarrass sportbike folks on tight roads.

My point is, if there is one motorcycle you keep around as a "glad it's there 'cuz it's so cheap to keep" motorcycle, a KLR is it.

I gave my son mine wonderful '03 model, and I already miss it. I may even get another here soon... Or I may try a Suzuki DR650. But IMHO there is nothing more truly *usable* overall than a big, dual-sport single like the KLR.

Just my two centavos... YMMV.

Dallara

~
Well Dallara… after this description and looking as every ST owner in this post is an ex-KLR, I must look for a Kawa….

Its strange, I don’t know any who rides one, it looks as in Spain this bike wasn’t so popular…

Anyway, I like the idea of a KLR/Versys simple bike. I was looking to do something like this with a TDM engine but was too expensive and complex…. And Yamaha launch the ST….

Hope Yamaha can do something similar with the new triple they build: About 200 kg + 750cc + good suspensions + 21”/18” wheels + Yamaha reliability = my next bike
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #14159
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
With all these nice KLR shots I couldn't help noticing they all were missing the most
important KLR farkle. So I thought I would put together a group buy.

I just spilled my coffee I'm laughing so hard!
Old 11-07-2012, 04:52 AM   #14160
wolftrax
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

]
I have both a KLR and S10. Hands down the S10 gets ridden and the KLR sits. The S10 is brilliant right out of the box. This may be part of the reason why this thread wanders and gets off topic a bit. The Tenere is solid, reliable and extremely competent dual sport. You can only say this so many times, hence we entertain ourselves on this thread with diversions. If your'e looking for a KLR on steroids this is your bike. It's 40 degrees out and raining, think I'll take the Tenere for a spin.