Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #14191
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
It does seem BMW has given motorcycle ABS a bad name.
Oh, I don’t know about that. Read GSpot they just love ABS there. I am one of the very few dissenters.

My GS is a lot of fun to ride, with ABS off. I was going to buy a new one. I recently learned that you can’t completely turn ABS off on them now and one can not just ignore the linkage system any longer
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...3#post19991663

No new BMW for me

How difficult is it servicing the Tenere?
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #14192
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
What is going on here, one guy says he has an ABS switch on his bike?

Could I not disable ABS by removing a front wheel sensor or something along those lines
I have a switch, directions to install it are all over the web, but the 30 second version is:

-access the battery
-to the left of the battery is a 30A ATO fuse, that controls the ABS solenoid
-pull the fuse (you now have no ABS)
-install a wire into each side of the receptacle that the fuse was removed from, with an inline 30A fuse on one wire
-run those wires to a SPST switch placed on the bars or in the dash area

Switch "on", which closes the circuit, simulates the factory setting with ABS active.

Switch "off", which opens the circuit, deactivates ABS and turns the warning light on the dash on.

Once you deactivate ABS, you will have to shut the ignition off, turn the ABS switch to on, and restart the bike to get the ABS to reset to the default "on" mode. ABS can be turned off on the fly, though.

MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #14193
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,403
Quote:
Oh, I don’t know about that. Read GSpot they just love ABS there. I am one of the very few dissenters.

My GS is a lot of fun to ride, with ABS off. I was going to buy a new one. I recently learned that you can’t completely turn ABS off on them now and one can not just ignore the linkage system any longer

No new BMW for me

Ya, and Orange Crush love their water pumps and fuel systems.

Servicing is twice as hard because there are two drain plugs. The good news is
they use the same size socket. Pheww. Not to be a smartass, but it is really simple
and valve adjustments are about the time you're ready to sell the bike.

It does take a little time to switch from German to Japanese thinking.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #14194
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,437
This is my first bike with ABS, so I don't have much to compare it to. I too wanted an off switch before trying it.

Now I just trust it. No matter the speed or surface, if you grab a big handfull of brakes, the bike just stops.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #14195
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:
Thanks, I can disable ABS on the Tenere that is what I really wanted to be sure of.

If one reads the forums here there are endless testimonials for ABS and I have just hated the ABS system on my GS. I would not have it again if I had a choice.
I had a GSA and hated the ABS. I’m doing mostly off road with my bikes and it was terrible.
The ABS in the ST is much, much better but I prefer also riding without it in dirt. So I added a switch to disable it wherever I want. Simple and not expensive.

About the wheels: Pluric use to destroy it, but if you look at this pic you can understand why. In the rest of "normal" people they work ok.

jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:02 PM   #14196
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Ya, and Orange Crush love their water pumps and fuel systems.

I do lust for a KTM 990 Adventure but the servicing is so difficult and bad fuel mileage makes me think I would end up hating it.

I have had good luck with Yamahas in the past.

Thanks for your help.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #14197
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,848
Laugh River in Egypt...

Quote:

No new BMW for me

Servicing? What servicing? A Super Ténéré don't need no stinkin' servicing...

Oil and filter changes take ten- to fifteen-minutes, max. Final drive quicker and easier than that. Valve adjustments every 26,000 miles or so. Plugs last that long. Air filter takes about 20 minutes to swap, and synching the throttle bodies can be done at the same time. Battery and fuses are all but out in the open. Brake pads last a looooong time.

As Pluric said, you need to adjust your thinking. It's a Yamaha, not a BMW. It would probably run 100,000 miles on unchanged cooking oil and still be in spec. No final drive issues. No funky CANBUS bizarreness.

Just ride it, and enjoy never worrying.

IMHO, the vast majority of Beemer riders are in complete denial about the shortcomings of their mounts... And especially of the ABS. I've never met a former road racer, MX or hare scrambles racers, etc. (that didn't get a paycheck from a magazine or the factory itself) that liked anything about BMW's ABS system - period.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #14198
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
I had a GSA and hated the ABS. I’m doing mostly off road with my bikes and it was terrible.
The ABS in the ST is much, much better but I prefer also riding without it in dirt. So I added a switch to disable it wherever I want. Simple and not expensive.

About the wheels: Pluric use to destroy it, but if you look at this pic you can understand why. In the rest of "normal" people they work ok.
Oh so you little fruit flys are now "normal"?. In America I am the new normal.
I like that shot because I'm down a few pounds.

Everytime I walk by the bike I swear I hear a little groan.

Me and Old Git Ray may just have to come by and straighten you out.

Old 11-07-2012, 01:31 PM   #14199
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 721
Quote:
The dealer here won’t give me a test ride
I see you live in the Bay area, the IMS will be in San Mateo on the 16-18 of Nov and the Yamaha DEMO truck will be there with Super Tenere's that they would be more then happy to let you demo....

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/san-mateo
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #14200
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,482
Quote:

Me and Old Git Ray may just have to come by and straighten you out.
Lucky there is a big sea between us...
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #14201
sallydog
no more Green KLR

Oddometer: 5,485
my friends all said " i wouldnt trust abs" and 'my brain works faster than a computer" ... or "you will really be fucked the time it doesnt work"

what a bunch of dumbasses. a computer is much more reliable than me and the one time it doesnt work the big yellow light on my dash will tell me it isnt working. ill take my chances. it has saved my ass more than once. i dont care if im going downhil, in a off camber turn on golfball sized rocks hot. my bike stopped when 3 others flew into the woods... a ktm990, ktm 690, and drz400.... while the s10 hit the front brake hard and pulled over to the inside and watched the mayhem.
i think the difference is the unified braking. the other thing my friends wouldnt like. but it stops the bike. period.

i have noticed that everyone that doesnt like it or wouldnt want it are guys that have not actually got in the seat and tried it

and maintenance is so minimal and inexpensive it is retarded. not to mention the bike costs 10G less than a gsa1200 (not even counting the 3yr 10G maintenance schedule required to maintain the warranty)
Heaven's the place where all the dogs you've ever loved come to greet you
sallydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:43 PM   #14202
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
Lucky there is a big sea between us...
Ya but, I can still do this...
Old 11-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #14203
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,265
Quote:
[FONT=Helvetica]

No new BMW for me

I suggest you try both ABS systems. I don't have a clue how well the new BMW ABS will work, but the S10 works pretty well nearly everywhere for 98% of riders. The only thing I can say is I know the YAMAHA is good. I ASSUME BMW have later generation ABS in the new model. Even then it depends on how they set it up.

The YAMAHA has the option of separating the linked system on the fly by using your rear brake before the front.

As far as Servicing goes, you will never get a service needed nag screen on the YAMAHA. It's pretty much standard Japanese, It has easy access to electrical, filter, oil filter, It takes 2 minutes to "pull your pumpkin" if you want to inspect the shaft, Shaft oil changes are easy. The ABS can be disabled easily multiple ways, Pull a fuse, remove a sensor etc. The systems on the bike fail gracefully. You end up with a standard bike if traction control and ABS fail.

Its built as tough as a brick shithouse. It is slightly better off road than the "last" BMW and I bit less "sharp" on road.

It's a good thing. No excuses necessary for buying one. You don't really need to "split the bike in half" if some seals needed.

Valve adjustments are easier to get to on the current BMW, but the YAMAHA is like the Strom. It may need some shim changes at some stage in its life.

The paint on the BMW is nicer by a bit and there are some nice cosmetic touches. It's up to you to decide how much paint is worth, because it seems that below the paint lurks some concerns.

The GS is not directly comparable to the S10 neither is the GSA. The S10 sits somewhere between the two. The GSA arena is really where the S10 competes. I don't think BMW intended for the GS to be the "long range adventure bike" it just ended up like that much like the V-STroms.

The YAMAHA has now gone 3 years with pretty much no issues with anything major. There are some little niggles though but nothing too expensive. It's not going to be perfect like any bike. YAMAHA so far have been pretty good about warranty stuff as well but that will vary between "importers" but it seems most of them got the memo about not screwing customers.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 11-07-2012 at 02:34 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:26 PM   #14204
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
To me even if the ABS is best ever on a motorcycle (maybe it is, this is my first ABS motorcycle), I wish it wasn't quite so sensitive. I can be braking at 10mph and hit one speckle of sand on the road and feel the ABS kick in. Even with the clutch pulled in simply downshifting to first on a bone dry road many times just the clunk from second to first while braking I can feel the brakes release. I'm all for ABS in a panic brake, but really don't want or need it every day during normal braking. Maybe if it was more like the traction control and give the option of ABS-1 or ABS-2. I'd be happy with 2 for "limited" ABS. As it is now it's definately ABS-1, no lock, not even a smidgeon and anyone that says they can't feel it is in a different boat than I am. I can feel it several times a day even on dry roads. I can ride my big boat Goldwing without ABS and enjoy my everyday braking more, if braking can ever be considered enjoyable that is.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #14205
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
... Brake pads last a looooong time...
I agree with everything you said but this. Rear brake pads go much quicker on this bike than just about any other. This is very well documented here and on the S10 forum; with most reports saying 7000-12000 miles per set of rear pads (although there are definitely out-layers). Luckily they're cheap, and literally take 2 minutes to swap out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKZ650 View Post
To me even if the ABS is best ever on a motorcycle (maybe it is, this is my first ABS motorcycle), I wish it wasn't quite so sensitive. I can be braking at 10mph and hit one speckle of sand on the road and feel the ABS kick in.
I've noticed this, but it doesn't bug me one bit. Doesn't hurt anything, doesn't cause any problems, doesn't matter to me.

That being said, I do think we could simply have 3 modes:
Touring = Heavy engine dampening for fuel economy, serious traction control, and serious ABS.
Sport = Less engine dampening (like OEM sport mode), Less traction control (TC2), and less ABS (front wheel only?).
OFF = No engine dampening (clutch switch mod), no traction control, and no ABS.

I've never understood the need to have traction control separate from Sport and Touring mode, I thought they generally went hand in hand.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote