Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #14296
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Does anyone know what type (and where from) those throw over tank bags are ??
At first glance they look like Aerostich.

here
Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #14297
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 856
Underset tank

GREAT idea from Diapason!!!
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:10 AM   #14298
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
This is a 10 litres tank under the seat made from Diapason Racing, a italian Yamaha dealer. I think is a good idea.
The pegs are not welded.

That's awesome! My ECU and panniers are from Diapason/Tosco. They aren't the fastest people in the world, but they have some good ideas for products. Looks like I might be sending some more emails to Moto Shop Yamaha since another winter-farkling session will soon begin.

Italian Customs is a pain, and the duty was quite expensive for my panniers...I also had to wait 2 months for them. They finally figured out that their courier LOST the first set of panniers they sent, so I didn't get any panniers until 2 months after I ordered them. The fuel tank is very tempting; I might be returning for more punishment

tremor38 screwed with this post 11-13-2012 at 06:22 AM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM   #14299
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
And how much more expensive is the Beemer G/S than the Super Ténéré?

And if the cost of the Yamaha heated grips is such an issue there are plenty of other alternatives.
But then again, I owned a couple of BMW's before I started trying to find reasons not to own another one!
Dallara~
I think MSRP on a GS is about a thousand more then the Tenere.

Cost for the Heated Grips was not a real issue but I wish they came on the bike. The real issues are how well do they work and the ease of controlling them while riding.

As I recall BMW Vario bags were $350 apiece, this included mounts. These are very nice bags in many ways but they are not rugged at all. A simple drop of the bike can destroy one.

My GS is a pretty nice bike, guy. I have had a lot of fun on it and it always runs great, 80 thousand miles. I did have a lot of trouble with the GS but it was mostly covered under warranty, which is terrific.
I was going to buy another BMW but I don’t want what they have done to their braking system and also, I hate the dealers here.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #14300
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
I found the heat grips on my GS to be great. I use then all the time.
Yamaha wants $400 for heat grips on the Tenere. The grips have a dial control instead of a three position switch on my GS. This switch is easy for me to use while I ride and I have been happy with it.
How is this option working for you?

Are you happy with Yamaha’s saddle bags? They look cheap in the pictures I’ve seen but the cost is a $1,000 with the mounts.
Are the bags easy to remove once on?

Yamaha doesn’t recommend a top box with the bags. I wonder about that. I carry a lot of stuff on the back of my bike when I am traveling.

The Yamaha heated grips get much hotter than the 2 position bmw heated grips ever did. But for a lot less money, you could opt for Oxford heated grips..

There are lot of aftermarket luggage options. I like using a Givi 55 liter topcase on an altrider top plate. Since switching from a 12GSA, I've never looked back and have had zero issues with the S10. It has turned out to be my favorite bike of all.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #14301
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,718
Laugh Sounds like you really want a Beemer, though...

Quote:
I think MSRP on a GS is about a thousand more then the Tenere.

Base price to base price, maybe... But have you ever actually tried to buy a "base" BMW?

I don't know about the "Bay Area" where you're from, but down here you can't find any Beemer without two or three of their "packages" already stuffed on there.

For instance, just look at BMW's own website for a 2012 G/S (I didn't see prices on the new 2013 model yet): http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/...gs_main_1.html

They show the "base price" of the G/S as $14,990, but then show the bike with the "Standard Package" (which includes Heated Grips, ABS, and Saddle Bag Mounts) as having a price of $16,935.

ABS comes standard on the Super Ténéré, and it's 2012 MSRP was only $14,500 (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr...1/1/specs.aspx). That's a whopping $2,435 dollar (15%) "Roundel Premium" to get heated grips and some bag mounts. Pretty pricey...

BTW, Yamaha's bag mounts are only $189.95... (http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr.../1/detail.aspx)

Add the $399 Yamaha heated grips and you're *STILL* $1,846 cheaper than the BMW, and you got nearly a gallon more fuel capacity, valves that go over 24,000 miles between adjustments, a shaft drive set-up that doesn't have issues or need a shim-guru to set-up properly, and ABS brakes that actually work...

Quote:
As I recall BMW Vario bags were $350 apiece, this included mounts. These are very nice bags in many ways but they are not rugged at all. A simple drop of the bike can destroy one.

Well, like I said... The Yamaha bags have been great for me, and I've dropped the bike twice with no damage to the bags either time. In fact, the bags are tough enough they actually bend the lower footpeg mount slightly without damaging the bag. Don't ask me how I know this... But 30 seconds with a big crescent wrench and the bracket was straight again.

But since you think the BMW bags are not up to your standards then why are you asking about the Yamaha standard bags? Seems a bit like comparing apples to aircraft carriers if you are comparing Yammie bags to ones like Jesses, but yet giving the Beemer bags a pass...

Quote:
My GS is a pretty nice bike, guy. I have had a lot of fun on it and it always runs great, 80 thousand miles. I did have a lot of trouble with the GS but it was mostly covered under warranty, which is terrific.
I was going to buy another BMW but I don’t want what they have done to their braking system and also, I hate the dealers here.

I had a lot of fun on my Beemers, too... But then again, I've had fun on just about every motorcycle of the literally dozens and dozens I've owned over the decades. Yet, unless BMW can solve a ton of issues they have, from their quality control to strength of materials to price structure to parts prices to dealer network to customer service attitude, etc., etc., etc., then I'll never own another one. OTOH, I've owned a bunch of Yamaha's over the years, and they have been much more reliable, less expensive to maintain, easier to work on, less maintenance intensive, etc. They just flat work.

And I've met a lot more *good* Yamaha dealers than I have BMW ones.

But that's just my two centavos... OMMV.

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~

Dallara screwed with this post 11-14-2012 at 06:53 AM
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 AM   #14302
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,318
And don't forget the base GS comes with cast wheels and you need to pay extra for the tubeless spoked wheels that come standard on the SuperTen.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #14303
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Base price to base price, maybe... But have you ever actually tried to buy a "base" BMW?
Actually the dealer here offered me a great deal on one last year. I should say salesman, I have some doubts the owner would ok this. I could order a 2012 at $600 below MSRP and no set up charge with only the options I wanted, which were spoke rims and heated grips.

I have had good luck with Yamaha’s in the past; I have had 8 or 9 of them. I don’t like all the stuff which is on the Tenere but I think I can ride around it.
I have only had two BMW’s, and one was in the 70’s but I still rate it as one of my all time fun bikes. My current BMW has been fun to ride and is running great but is not nearly one of the best bikes I have ever owned.
I feel done with BMW. I do lust for a KTM 990 Adventurer though but at the same time I don’t think it’s a bike I should have

GP, you have a Tenere?
Thanks for the input on the Grips. Is the heat easy to control while riding?
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #14304
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,932
Quote:
Thanks for the input on the Grips. Is the heat easy to control while riding?
I like the Heat-troller set up for grips and controlling a vest outlet. Post 9591.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...grips&page=640

For $100 it's a great set up.

http://www.warmnsafe.com/handgrip-heat-trollers/
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #14305
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,748
Cost!

Apples to Apples, S10 to GS12, about $4000. difference not $1000. Got mine S10 for $13,500. Seen them for less.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:44 PM   #14306
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED CAT View Post
Apples to Apples, S10 to GS12, about $4000.
Yes, this is much closer. I recall a couple of us did some pretty good price comparisons when the S10 came out and if you put the S10 and GS on the same basis as best you could, it was about $3700 price difference in MSRP. Now that was a couple years ago and both companies have hiked prices a time or two so I don't know what the precise delta is now.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #14307
Superstar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Picked up a new (2012) S10 last weekend for $12,100 without even trying. Also bought the 4 year (5 year total) zero-deductible factory warranty at the same time for $380. Again, without really trying. The entire experience was 40 minutes, 20 of which was for the test ride.

Try these at a BMW shop.

Look, I LOVE my BMW XMOTO and feel like I will have it for a long, long time, but it was my first (and last) BMW motorcycle. From the pricing and availability of parts to the general attitude of the servicing dealer...I learned my lesson.
Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM   #14308
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Dunno.... I just dont get it??????

65>70mph is fine for me = I sort of like taking in where I am while getting to where I am going. It's all about the WHOLE journey for me. Not just having been there!!!

Greg.
(Except maybe the Hay plains)

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #14309
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
Dunno.... I just dont get it??????

65>70mph is fine for me = I sort of like taking in where I am while getting to where I am going. It's all about the WHOLE journey for me. Not just having been there!!!

Greg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
(Except maybe the Hay plains)
You guys have all that open area.

From the FJR days....

The Tenere can't hold a candle to it. Bless it's heart it tries.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:22 PM   #14310
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar View Post
Picked up a new (2012) S10 last weekend for $12,100 without even trying. Also bought the 4 year (5 year total) zero-deductible factory warranty at the same time for $380. Again, without really trying. The entire experience was 40 minutes, 20 of which was for the test ride.
What city?
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is offline   Reply With Quote