Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #14701
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Book is to do a 600-mile change, then every 16K. I honestly think this is completely adequate as gear oil doesn't shear down and mostly stays clean. I change mine every-other engine oil change, or about 6K-8K. Several times in the first few thousand seems like total overkill, but if it helps you sleep better at night, go for it. If you're doing these super-short changes, then something like this Walmart stuff might make more sense.

- Mark
I changed my drive oil at 600, 1500 and 5000. The oil that came out at 600 and 1500 was grey and yucky looking, at 5000 it was clear. That seems to indicate that it needs more than just the one "early" change before switching to a normal schedule. Since the 5000 mile change I've been changing about every 8000
Old 12-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #14702
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,852
The FD Fluid!

Is so easy to change I do it every couple thousand klicks. Did in my Beamer too but I was more worried with that bike. Run full synthetic 75W90.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:55 AM   #14703
Xdriver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by sail2xxs View Post
I have found the Tenere stock seat to be more comfortable than the stock seat on any of the bikes I've owned so far. After about 60K miles, I switched to a Sargent. The Sargent is firmer, dished, and somewhat wider. I put 900 miles on the Sargent between Friday and Saturday, stopping only for gas. With the stock seat in the same riding temperatures, I would have been squirming after the 3rd fill-up. I felt totally fine with the Sargent. I'm planning on doing a little bit more long distance testing over a wider temperature range in the next few weeks and will post results afterwards.

Chris
Just picked up a used S10 with a Sargent which i think the previous owner picked up in August. Have to say this seat is killing me. It's hard as a rock. I only ring in at about 155 lbs, so that may have something to do with it. Going to try a BMS seat the previous owner had made up for it today. Hope that's better.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #14704
fredz43
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xdriver View Post
Just picked up a used S10 with a Sargent which i think the previous owner picked up in August. Have to say this seat is killing me. It's hard as a rock. I only ring in at about 155 lbs, so that may have something to do with it. Going to try a BMS seat the previous owner had made up for it today. Hope that's better.
Sargent received serveral complaints about the hardness of their original World Sport seat for the S10. Based on that feedback, they revised the foam and did free upgrades for those that bought the original version. You might contact Sargent about that. I really like my second edition Sargent seat.
fredz43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:29 AM   #14705
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 352
Rear 18 recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
I've made some suspension adjustments and fix a new tire in front (Metzeler Unicross 90/01/21) which is higher than the TKC. Now the ground clearance with the ACD skid plate is nearly 24cm. I measured a new bike with the OEM skid plate and is about 18cm. Im very please, All this changes improved more than 5cm the ground clearance than stock.
More than this high could be difficult to me, now I can only just reach the floor.
My old GSA with long suspensions was 23 and the KTM 990 is 26.

I'm going to try this Unicross on the front and a Mitas E10 rear. As you can see is nearly identical than a Karoo T.
Mitas on the left:

I need a hard tire to go to Morocco. TKC's and Karoo's are too soft.
Try to upgrade your rear to an 18" ... it makes a different bike together with a 21" front ... but, you will have to use a 140/80/18 and not a wide 150 ...
Went for a ride up the mountains with a XT660, TTR250 and XR250 ... very hard road

had to rest the bike ...

the friend with the XT660 tried it for a stretch and got very tired ...

I'm replacing my 2 TW200 for a XT660Z Tenere ... easier to pick up ... lol
Cheers,
Roberto
Old 12-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #14706
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,852
All!

You need to do is get rid of that Top Box. Those things are detrimental to good handling. May as well carry a passenger as one of those.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:36 AM   #14707
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,193

Nice Roberto!
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:27 AM   #14708
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thagua View Post
Try to upgrade your rear to an 18" ... it makes a different bike together with a 21" front ... but, you will have to use a 140/80/18 and not a wide 150 ...

Roberto
Hi Roberto
Youre right but for the moment Im going to stop, Im tired to make changes and spend money I want to RIDE!!
I'm quite pleased with the 21/17 wheel combination. The major advantage of the 18" rear is there are more tires to choose but with this great traction control Im fine with the Mitas I have now.
Well see in the future.

And as red cat says, take this top case out if you do off road!!! The make very difficult to handle the bike.
Try some soft saddle bags like the Giant Loop, you dont notice they are there

jaumev screwed with this post 12-09-2012 at 10:39 AM
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #14709
Thagua
Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer: 352
Top case out

Quote:
Hi Roberto
Youre right but for the moment Im going to stop, Im tired to make changes and spend money I want to RIDE!!
I'm quite pleased with the 21/17 wheel combination. The major advantage of the 18" rear is there are more tires to choose but with this great traction control Im fine with the Mitas I have now.
Well see in the future.

And as red cat says, take this top case out if you do off road!!! The make very difficult to handle the bike.
Try some soft saddle bags like the Giant Loop, you dont notice they are there

Hola Jaume, everybody is right when reducing weight ... and for big trips off-road I use the Giant Loop ... but for this day trip I had planned to do it in my TW200 but it failed so picked the Big Reliable XT1200Z and just went without unloading the top case which only carried a small tool bag, air pressure tank (Paintball) and my Camelback which I seldom use on my back ... wish we could have the Mitas here ... excellent tyre made in Czechoslovaquia ... as soon as you can, try to upgrade to the 18" rear ... I am never tired of 'farkling' my bike ... you better stop it also ... lol ... I had to put rim decals and also cover my short windshield with adhesive.
Saludos,
Roberto
Old 12-10-2012, 09:31 AM   #14710
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,384
Quote:

I need a hard tire to go to Morocco. TKC's and Karoo's are too soft.
Have you thought about a Heidenau K60 Scout. I just got one from www.Oponeo.es for 106 Euro delivered. So far I like it. Its not in TCK territory in terms of grip but the last TCK I had on only lasted 5000kms.

People have reported that they are difficult to put on (they are very stiff) but I had no problem with 2 simple levers.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:16 AM   #14711
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post
Have you thought about a Heidenau K60 Scout. I just got one from www.Oponeo.es for 106 Euro delivered. So far I like it. Its not in TCK territory in terms of grip but the last TCK I had on only lasted 5000kms.

People have reported that they are difficult to put on (they are very stiff) but I had no problem with 2 simple levers.
The K60 is this one?

If it is, I'm looking for a tire more off road oriented, bigger knobs for the sand and mud, but for the 17" wheel there aren't too many.
This is what I've found:

Off road oriented tires for 17” wheel:

Karoo 2: very good in off road but it doesn’t last long. On road is very noisy.
Karoo T: more road oriented
TKC: similar to Karoo T but it last more and is more expensive.
Mitas E10: Same design than Karoo T but it looks as if it is harder. I'm trying it now. Good price.
Mitas E09: bigger knobs, similar to Karoo2.
Mitas E09 / E10 Dakar: I think they are the same design than the “standard” but harder. Reports said it last a lot but must be careful in wet roads.
Pirelli MT21: I don’t know much about these, I read they are quite good and last a lot.

Anybody can add some information?
Thanks!
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM   #14712
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

I have to call BS on that one. I removed a rear one and was with great wailing and gnashing of teeth.
The front wasn't bad. Define "simple lever".

Old 12-10-2012, 10:24 AM   #14713
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,388
Quote:
The K60 is this one?

If it is, I'm looking for a tire more off road oriented, bigger knobs for the sand and mud, but for the 17" wheel there aren't too many.
This is what I've found:

Off road oriented tires for 17” wheel:

Karoo 2: very good in off road but it doesn’t last long. On road is very noisy.
Karoo T: more road oriented
TKC: similar to Karoo T but it last more and is more expensive.
Mitas E10: Same design than Karoo T but it looks as if it is harder. I'm trying it now. Good price.
Mitas E09: bigger knobs, similar to Karoo2.
Mitas E09 / E10 Dakar: I think they are the same design than the “standard” but harder. Reports said it last a lot but must be careful in wet roads.
Pirelli MT21: I don’t know much about these, I read they are quite good and last a lot.

Thanks!
I'd think the MT21 would be less than ideal, especially from a tread life standpoint. A lot of the guys I ride with run them on their DRZ's and KLR's. Seems like it would be asking a lot to run them on the Tenere. The front might be fine, but I bet you'd shred the rear pretty quickly. I've never tried them though, so who knows?
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:29 AM   #14714
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
The K60 is this one?

This is what I've found:

Thanks!
I run the K60s now. Wear level is fantastic. Most my off road stuff is harder pack.
I will say this last time in the sand they were new and actually did okay.
Meaning I didn't faceplant.

The last mud ride was slimey sticky stuff that packed the knobs and spun easy.
Once it got stuck on a tree root it cleaned itself with a first gear red line.

pluric screwed with this post 12-10-2012 at 10:35 AM
Old 12-10-2012, 10:58 AM   #14715
simmons1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,383
These look interesting for streetie looking tire:

http://us.ridexperience.metzeler.com...oo-3-at-eicma/