User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 04:57 PM   #14776
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 729
Just did the clutch mod....
WOW what a difference!!! No more hesitation/stumble at take off and a way more responsive throttle.. Very happy, bike is brand new with 150 miles and this just made it even better!!
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 PM   #14777
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridemotorbikes View Post
Just did the clutch mod....
WOW what a difference!!! No more hesitation/stumble at take off and a way more responsive throttle.. Very happy, bike is brand new with 150 miles and this just made it even better!!
I did the same the other day and added a switch so I can still use the regular modes when needed. Works great so I'm not sure why some people went ahead with the $400 reflash after doing the clutch mod. Does it have an advantage that makes it worth that kind of cash?
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 06:58 PM   #14778
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
I did the same the other day and added a switch so I can still use the regular modes when needed. Works great so I'm not sure why some people went ahead with the $400y jetted. reflash after doing the clutch mod. Does it have an advantage that makes it worth that kind of cash?
I had the reflash before the clutch mod. Across the whole rpm range it smooths out flat spots
and made the bike feel perfectly jetted. I would do the reflash again.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #14779
AlsoRan
Lone Trail Of Dust

Oddometer: 381
Quote:
I did the same the other day and added a switch so I can still use the regular modes when needed. Works great so I'm not sure why some people went ahead with the $400 reflash after doing the clutch mod. Does it have an advantage that makes it worth that kind of cash?
Like Pluric I had the reflash done and it made the bike run properly in all phases. I would have it done again only sooner than later.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #14780
William42
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,340
Another re-flash fan here. Glad I had it done.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #14781
japako
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Plus one more fan of the flash. It really changed my bike for the better.
It is much smoother through the power band.
japako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 PM   #14782
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,191
Just got my ECU back today from AF1 today. I had previously been running the clutch switch mod. Got the ECU flashed for regular gas since we can get non-ethanol regular around here.

The bike is much smoother. It just runs like a well sorted bike should. No dips, blips, surges etc...

The clutch switch mod was pretty good in my opinion, but I started not liking it in slow speed off-road situations, it was just too abrupt at low rpm's.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #14783
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,710
Question Where'd you say your re-flash was done?

Quote:

Well, for one... I didn't pay that much for my ECUunleashed re-flash...

But more importantly, I greatly prefer the re-flash over the clutch-switch mod, and I don't run the clutch-switch mod on my bike. In fact, it's a toss-up in my mind whether my ECUunleashed re-flash or the Stoltec-Penske rear shock/Stoltec-revalved/re-sprung forks are the best money I've spent on my Super Tenere...

I'd gladly spend the money on those mods again, no problem.

Also, I guess I missed it somewhere in here, but which re-flash did you get done, on your bike, that you are comparing with the clutch-switch mod? How many miles did you have on each for comparison?

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:59 PM   #14784
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
I had the reflash before the clutch mod. Across the whole rpm range it smooths out flat spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlsoRan View Post
Like Pluric I had the reflash done and it made the bike run properly in all phases. I would have it done again only sooner than later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William42 View Post
Another re-flash fan here. Glad I had it done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by japako View Post
Plus one more fan of the flash. It really changed my bike for the better.
It is much smoother through the power band.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
Just got my ECU back today from AF1 today. I had previously been running the clutch switch mod. Got the ECU flashed for regular gas since we can get non-ethanol regular around here.

The bike is much smoother. It just runs like a well sorted bike should. No dips, blips, surges etc...

The clutch switch mod was pretty good in my opinion, but I started not liking it in slow speed off-road situations, it was just too abrupt at low rpm's.

I gotta' admit; These posts are putting a little happy in my pocket.

With any luck, I'm gonna' try to get my ECU done, after the first of the year. I was waiting until I had a few thousand miles on the bike, so that I was thoroughly used to its behavior (and would immediately notice any difference).

My main question is this...

Does it do anything to the bike on the bottom-end?

Anyone who rides this bike, for a few hours, will realize that the low-RPM (and partial-throttle) fueling is dicked-up. In fact, if you wanna' see how dicked-up it is, roll the throttle on (1/8 to 1/4) under compression braking. It gargles and warbles all kinds of unnatural noises. And, if you fill it with regular, the low-end issues are even more pronounced.

Other than my KLR, I have never owned a bike that I couldn't (first gear) drift the ass-end, in turns. Even my little DR had a little hooligan in its blood. This bike has NADA...NOTHING. I have a hard time believing that a 1200 doesn't have a little unlocked juice left in there.

I love this bike SO MUCH. A little hooliganability would just be icing on the cake...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #14785
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
Also, I guess I missed it somewhere in here, but which re-flash did you get done, on your bike, that you are comparing with the clutch-switch mod? How many miles did you have on each for comparison?

Dallara
Haven't done it yet, that's why I'm asking for comparison feedback from people who first did the clutch mod, then later did the reflash.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:17 PM   #14786
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Did the clutch mod make a difference after the reflash? I thought the reflash eliminated the 1st-3rd gear power restrictions that the clutch mod also gets rid of.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:15 PM   #14787
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,885
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I gotta' admit; These posts are putting a little happy in my pocket.

Ewwwww, could have lived without that visual.

With any luck, I'm gonna' try to get my ECU done, after the first of the year. I was waiting until I had a few thousand miles on the bike, so that I was thoroughly used to its behavior (and would immediately notice any difference).

My main question is this...

Does it do anything to the bike on the bottom-end?

Yes, cures the off idle stumble. Smooths out the entire throttle range. No surge or hiccups.

Anyone who rides this bike, for a few hours, will realize that the low-RPM (and partial-throttle) fueling is dicked-up. In fact, if you wanna' see how dicked-up it is, roll the throttle on (1/8 to 1/4) under compression braking. It gargles and warbles all kinds of unnatural noises. And, if you fill it with regular, the low-end issues are even more pronounced.

Other than my KLR, I have never owned a bike that I couldn't (first gear) drift the ass-end, in turns. Even my little DR had a little hooligan in its blood. This bike has NADA...NOTHING. I have a hard time believing that a 1200 doesn't have a little unlocked juice left in there.

I didn't feel there was a large perfomance increase. Some and dyno tests show HP increase.
I was hoping for a sea level feel at alttitude, didn't happen.

I love this bike SO MUCH. A little hooliganability would just be icing on the cake...

You don't have to drift it to find a little hooligan.

pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #14788
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,274
I have been putting off any mods up till now as most of my riding is 2 up.

Can someone tell me (and I am sure it was posted before on page gazillion) but does the ECU flash remove T mode.

I find T mode useful in traffic especially when the boss is on the back.

The stumble and cutting out when blipping the throttle is starting to pi55 me off so now I am thinking about it.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:44 AM   #14789
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

Can someone tell me (and I am sure it was posted before on page gazillion) but does the ECU flash remove T mode.

The stumble and cutting out when blipping the throttle is starting to pi55 me off so now I am thinking about it.
The clutch mod will get rid of the stumble off idle. If you add a switch you can use T (or S) mode when desired.

From what I understand, the Diapason reflash leaves T mode unchanged, while the ECU Unleashed reflash sharpens it up a bit but it's still less aggressive than S mode.

twinrider screwed with this post 12-18-2012 at 01:55 AM
Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 AM   #14790
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 8,892
Quote:
You don't have to drift it to find a little hooligan....

How much does the County charge you, for asphalt repair, when that front wheel touches down?

Thanks for the response, Pluric. Other than you and Allan, sometimes, after I post a question, I start to think that the whole thread has me on "ignore".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Git Ray View Post

I feel like the highlighted areas coulda' been me posting. I feel the same way.

Like you, I also find myself using the "T" mode. Most recently, San Antonio has been getting these morning drizzles. They soak the street, but don't really wash-off the oils. I absolutely love "T" mode (and all the other 'lectronic goodies) during those "oil slicks".

In regard to the throttle blipping, mine has cut-out completely (died), twice, while I did that. As you stated, it's kind of annoying...

EDIT- I forgot to post; When I spoke to the gentleman, at AF-1, he informed me that (after the reflash) "T" is still "T", and "S" is still "S". As has been posted, the reflash simply makes the bike run like it is perfectly fueled...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is online now   Reply With Quote