Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 04:28 AM   #14791
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
I'm running the Diapason reflash and really like it. That said, if I had to do it over again I'd go with the ECU unleashed flash. As much as I like most of what the Diapason flash brings, it doesn't smooth out the on/off throttle transitions. They are more abrupt if anything (S mode). From what I've been reading, people who have the ECU unleashed flash report a smoother on/off throttle transition.

When you add-in the fact that Italian customs jacks you up with an import duty on the way in, communication from MotoShop Yamaha is spotty and slow, then U.S. Customs hits you with an import duty on the way back, ECUu really starts looking attractive.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #14792
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
Does it do anything to the bike on the bottom-end?

From my short ride yesterday evening, I can say the answer is a definitive yes!

Example 1:
Before the re-flash when cruising along at about 65 in 6th gear, if you had to slow to 55, you really needed to downshift to 5th to get back up to speed without having the engine feel like it was going to rattle itself to death. Now it will roll from about 50 to whatever speed you want in 6th gear and do it smoothly.

Example 2:
Lugging in 1st gear, rolling around 7-8 mph; before the re-flash the bike would lunge and lurch when you cracked the throttle. Now it just transitions smoothly from idling to whatever amount of throttle you give it.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 AM   #14793
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,032
No reflashed bike to compare it with unfortunately, but my bike feels smooth and powerful with the clutch mod compared to without it. Fixes the initial lag in first gear and will lift the front wheel in second. If the reflash bumps up the upper rpm power I might consider it after losing a highway roll-on contest to a stock 2006 1200GS in 5th and 6th gears.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:44 AM   #14794
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,020
Quote:

Thanks for the response, Pluric. Other than you and Allan, sometimes, after I post a question, I start to think that the whole thread has me on "ignore".

Opps, I just got a bunch of angry PMs. Seems the other guys are pretty pissed at Allan and I right now.

Gotta go, someone is driving slow by my house again.

Seriously check out the threads over on the sober site about the reflash. I used the people in
Texas at Dallara's recomendation. AF-1 I think. Fast turnover. They'll talk to you on the phone
about any concerns or if you have after market mods that may need to be considered for the
reflash. Very good people to work with.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #14795
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
No reflashed bike to compare it with unfortunately, but my bike feels smooth and powerful with the clutch mod compared to without it. Fixes the initial lag in first gear and will lift the front wheel in second. If the reflash bumps up the upper rpm power I might consider it after losing a highway roll-on contest to a stock 2006 1200GS in 5th and 6th gears.
Wait until you try it against a 2010 GS. That was just humiliating. Oh well, The Tenere beat it off road.

I did feel it pulled stronger in the upper gears after the reflash. As far as lofting the wheel into second
you must be at or close sea level. When I had it in Baja it was a different bike. Big grins.
Utah is pretty stingy with it's air and it's a noticable differerence in power loss.

Trying to get to Death Valley next week to get my air fix.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #14796
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post
Trying to get to Death Valley next week to get my air fix.
Argl ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #14797
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
From my short ride yesterday evening, I can say the answer is a definitive yes!

Example 1:...

...Example 2:...

As usual, I'm liking what I'm hearing. Those are definitely two behaviors that I've noticed (and the bike could do without).

I'm all for "clean" vehicles. But, the Manufacturers and Emissions folks should try to strike a balance between "clean" and "nice running". If it were more balanced, I think Yamaha woulda' hit the nail square on the head with this bike. Except for a few little quirks, the bike is damn-near perfect for me.

Quote:
Opps, I just got a bunch of angry PMs. Seems the other guys are pretty pissed at Allan and I right now.

Gotta go, someone is driving slow by my house again.

Seriously check out the threads over on the sober site about the reflash. I used the people in
Texas at Dallara's recomendation. AF-1 I think. Fast turnover. They'll talk to you on the phone
about any concerns or if you have after market mods that may need to be considered for the
reflash. Very good people to work with.

Seriously, man. You've seen some of my questions. I post, and it's like *crickets*...and then y'all go back to discussing waitresses, the sexual orientation of the owners of black S-Ts, etc.

The guy you're thinking of is "Ed", at AF1. Allan gave me his name. The great thing, for me, is AF1 is ~60 miles from my front door.

As far as readling more about the ECUnleashed, I'm already sold. I just wanted to ask that one question.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:01 AM   #14798
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,308
Quote:
Seriously, man. You've seen some of my questions. I post, and it's like *crickets*...and then y'all go back to discussing waitresses, the sexual orientation of the owners of black S-Ts, etc.

Like this one?

Quote:
I asked this question, before, and don't remember getting a single response. So, I wanted to check-in, again.

I have a Yamaha top box. It lets-in dust, water, small animals, etc. (while it's closed and locked)

I seem to remember that this was a common issue, and that there mighta' been some warranty assistance. However, my search fu is weak.

Anyone got any info. they could throw my way?

Thanks in advance...

J.J.

I don't have the Yamaha cases, so I'm no help.

But I get the same feeling sometimes. I just figured it was because my S10 is black.
Anticyclone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #14799
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Like this one?...

Exactly like that one...

Quote:
...I don't have the Yamaha cases, so I'm no help.

But I get the same feeling sometimes. I just figured it was because my S10 is black.

Oh, your S-T is black?

Please don't respond to anymore of my questions...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 12-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #14800
rebel346
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
That!

Quote:
Exactly like that one...

Oh, your S-T is black?

rebel346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #14801
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Exactly like that one...

Oh, your S-T is black?

Hard to understand his lisp anyway.

As far as the OEM side bags mine have sealed well. I remember your question and didn't want to
be a "mine never does that" answer. I have caught the little pull loops or bag handle on the liners
when closing the lid. That may be the cause for dust or water to get in???
Old 12-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #14802
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Hard to understand his lisp anyway.

As far as the OEM side bags mine have sealed well. I remember your question and didn't want to
be a "mine never does that" answer. I have caught the little pull loops or bag handle on the liners
when closing the lid. That may be the cause for dust or water to get in???

Somewhere out there, in the universe known as the internet, there is a thread that started with one dude asking about the lid (on his topbox) not closing all the way. IIRC, the discussion progressed to the latch, OEM seals, and some "warranty" options.

Where that discussion is, I have no idea...unless I imagined it (which is not completely impossible).

The lid on my topbox has never completely closed, since Day One. The first time I took it into the THC, it had about a pound of dust in it, when I returned home. It has also let-in water.

If there is some kinda' "warranty" option, I would like to take advantage of it. On top of that, I'm thinking about getting the OEM panniers. And, I don't want to run-into the same situation (despite the fact that I've heard a lot of positive feedback about 'em)...

Old 12-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #14803
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Somewhere out there, in the universe known as the internet, there is a thread that started with one dude asking about the lid (on his topbox) not closing all the way. IIRC, the discussion progressed to the latch, OEM seals, and some "warranty" options.

Where that discussion is, I have no idea...unless I imagined it (which is not completely impossible).

The lid on my topbox has never completely closed, since Day One. The first time I took it into the THC, it had about a pound of dust in it, when I returned home. It has also let-in water.

If there is some kinda' "warranty" option, I would like to take advantage of it. On top of that, I'm thinking about getting the OEM panniers. And, I don't want to run-into the same situation (despite the fact that I've heard a lot of positive feedback about 'em)...

Not trying to be a smartass, try filling it with some water, close it and tip it upside down.
Watch where the water comes out and check the seal or lid warp or some smoking gun
must exist to allow that much stuff to enter. I've just never looked that close at mine
because it's never been a problem.

The driveline lash and excessive oil usage bother me much more.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #14804
WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Not in the clique...

Quote:
...The driveline lash and excessive oil usage bother me much more.

The lack of a gear indicator is what puts me off this POS...

I may have to try that "inverted waterbox" trick. Thanks...

Old 12-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #14805
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
The lack of a gear indicator is what puts me off this POS...

I may have to try that "inverted waterbox" trick. Thanks...

Good point. I always want to know what gear I'm in when the BMW is pulling away from me.