ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:00 PM   #14851
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc
 
Dirty bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Ivins, UT
Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech View Post
Is there a speedohealer for the s ten ? Anyone got a link for it? Thanks
Your google fu is weak.
http://www.amazon.com/XT1200Z-Super-.../dp/B0064OCMDE

A pretty good price. I paid more. I did the install with the gear indicator. Not using the behind the panel wire. You'll see my comments and pics on page 2 of the thread Pluric nicely linked to.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #14852
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,902
Turns out the right bulb was not seated in all the way, will see how the beam projection looks tonight on the way home from work.
__________________
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC

twinrider screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 07:25 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #14853
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc
 
Dirty bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Ivins, UT
Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
On a related topic, I've been doing searches for HID conversions but other than a few people using DDM kits with mixed results I haven't found much. Is there any high quality HID conversion kit out there made specifically for the S10?
Not really. You can find H7 kits, but nothing I've found has a 90 connector, so you have to cut holes in the dust covers, which does not give me the warm fuzzies.

It appears that the oem projector lenses do well with HID. Wish Yamaha had gone there from the start.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #14854
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Not really. You can find H7 kits, but nothing I've found has a 90 connector, so you have to cut holes in the dust covers, which does not give me the warm fuzzies.

It appears that the oem projector lenses do well with HID. Wish Yamaha had gone there from the start.
Yeah the stock lights are pretty crap, especially low beam. OEM HID or LED would have been sweet.

Some folks are reporting good results with DDM but I still can't get my head around how a $30 kit can be any good, and as you said a 90 connector would be nice.
__________________
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #14855
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc
 
Dirty bike's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Ivins, UT
Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Yeah the stock lights are pretty crap, especially low beam. OEM HID or LED would have been sweet.

Some folks are reporting good results with DDM but I still can't get my head around how a $30 kit can be any good, and as you said a 90 connector would be nice.
Honestly, the technology is pretty proven at this point. Don't think you need to spend $200 to get a good kit. An HID capsule is pretty generic now.

Slim ballasts and a solid igniter is what you're paying for now.

And yeah, a 90 connector would be the bomb.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #14856
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,713
Cool2 As compared to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Yeah the stock lights are pretty crap, especially low beam. OEM HID or LED would have been sweet.

Some folks are reporting good results with DDM but I still can't get my head around how a $30 kit can be any good, and as you said a 90 connector would be nice.


I always have to shake my head a bit when I see somebody post something about the S-10 supposedly having poor headlamp performance...

Then I have to ask the question - Have you tried adjusting and properly aiming them?

Every S-10 I have seen has had their headlamps improperly aimed and adjusted, as mine was out-of-the-crate. A few minutes - and I do mean a *few*, as in no more than 10 - and suddenly my S-10 headlamps rivaled the very best motorcycle headlamps I have seen come on a production motorcycle. Properly adjusted and aimed you, too, might be amazed at just how good they are, especially on high-beam.

If they have one drawback it's while cornering, but this really isn't as much the headlamp's fault as you might think. It's simply a result of using a projector beam housing on a motorcycle design that requires the headlamps to be up so high.

Honestly, take a few minutes with the manual, learn where your headlamp adjusters are, and then take a few minutes and a couple of nighttime test rides to get your S-10 headlamps adjusted and your opinion of them may change...

Dallara




~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #14857
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,902
The aim is correct and I've done lots of night rides on dark mountain roads. Agree that the high beams aren't too bad but the low beams are pretty sad... Maybe I've been spoiled by the HID and LED headlights on my other bikes.
__________________
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #14858
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,713
Question And they would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
The aim is correct and I've done lots of night rides on dark mountain roads. Agree that the high beams aren't too bad but the low beams are pretty sad... Maybe I've been spoiled by the HID and LED headlights on my other bikes.

What bikes exactly?

Dallara



~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #14859
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
What bikes exactly?

Dallara



~
Jeebus, I've owned about 50 or so but just to name a few... My 1999 VFR800, 2002 FZ1, Burgman 650 and all the others I've owned with twin H4 headlights were good from the start and made better with more powerful Bosch bulbs (before HID conversion kits were popular).

My 1100GS and R1100RT's single H4 headlights were improved by better bulbs (again pre-HID era) but the Piaa 910s I added made all the difference on dark mountain roads.

My TDM900 with H7s sucked but was considerably improved by HID, ditto for my Dakar and Djebel.


My Roadking's LED headlight and LED passing lamps are very good.

__________________
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #14860
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...
 
Dallara's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Location: South Texas
Oddometer: 1,713
Cool2 So let's see...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Jeebus, I've owned about 50 or so but just to name a few... My 1999 VFR800, 2002 FZ1, Burgman 650 and all the others I've owned with twin H4 headlights were good from the start and made better with more powerful Bosch bulbs (before HID conversion kits were popular).

My 1100GS and R1100RT's single H4 headlights were improved by better bulbs (again pre-HID era) but the Piaa 910s I added made all the difference on dark mountain roads.

My TDM900 with H7s sucked but was considerably improved by HID, ditto for my Dakar and Djebel.


My Roadking's LED headlight and LED passing lamps are very good.



So you're trying to say you've owned 50 bikes that had better headlamps than the S-10?

Oooooooooooo-Kee Do-Key!

But let's just look at the ones you named...

So all the twin-H4-equipped bikes you thought were better - check.

But your BMW's were only better after higher-output bulbs, and then by the addition of PIAA 910's - check.

You TDM, Dakar and Djebel only became better after you modified them - check.

And the HD, which has supplemental lamps - check.

And you are comparing these to *stock* S-10 lamps?

Hmmmmmm... Oh, well. To each his own, but I'm still willing to bet your stock S-10 lamps are improperly aimed and adjusted. Just my opinion, nothing more. I'm legally blind in my left eye, so I am particularly sensitive to headlamp performance, and IMHO once I got my S-10 lamps adjusted correctly I thought they were equal (or in some instances even better) than, say... my FJR with twin headlamps (and even after those were modified), or my old Beemer that had not only its stock lighting but a pair of PIAA supplemental driving lamp *AND* a pair of Hella wider-beam "cornering" lamps, or any of the Gold Wings I owned or rode while I was a Honda dealer for years, etc., etc., etc., etc. for the 40+ years I've been tooling along on these things.

Oddly enough, some of the best headlamp set-ups I've ever ridden with were simple, large, round headlamps like we had on so many bikes in the 1970's and 1980's... Both my 1979 CB750F and my 1981 CB900F come to mind, along with the early CBX's. We often ran these in endurance road races with much heavier gauge wire and ultra-high wattage (130+) bulbs. These were some of the best I've ever used, and superior to the S-10, IMHO.

But again, that's comparing apples to oranges...

Stock for stock the S-10 lamps are very good in my opinion. Perhaps if you modified them, or supplemented them heavily, then they might seem better to you...

Dallara




~
__________________
~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #14861
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa
 
Old Git Ray's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: UK based, Touring the Americas
Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
.................

Stock for stock the S-10 lamps are very good in my opinion. Perhaps if you modified them, or supplemented them heavily, then they might seem better to you...

Dallara
~
I have to agree. Mine are very good, but then again I adjust them to suit the weight I carry and am more that happy with them. I would have appreciated a simpler way to do it though.
__________________
Karen "Oh my God, I am traveling with a f**king idiot."
Blog: http://www.raykarenhall.blogspot.com
Old Git Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #14862
twinrider
pass the catnip
 
twinrider's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: 日本
Oddometer: 8,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
So you're trying to say you've owned 50 bikes that had better headlamps than the S-10?

Oooooooooooo-Kee Do-Key!

But let's just look at the ones you named...

So all the twin-H4-equipped bikes you thought were better - check.

But your BMW's were only better after higher-output bulbs, and then by the addition of PIAA 910's - check.

You TDM, Dakar and Djebel only became better after you modified them - check.

And the HD, which has supplemental lamps - check.

And you are comparing these to *stock* S-10 lamps?
Looks like you overlooked the part in my earlier post where I wrote "Maybe I've been spoiled by the HID and LED headlights on my other bikes."

Maybe you and Ray ride on well-lit roads, maybe you have eyes like cats or maybe you just don't ride aggressively at night on dark mountain roads like I do, but my opinion is the stock lights are pretty crap and I'm sticking to it...
__________________
2011 XT1200Z
2009 FLHR
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #14863
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer
 
GrahamD's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Blue Mnts Ozstralia
Oddometer: 4,928
Well all I can say is that the Strom was amazing after the candles in the SV650 and it was still better than the S10.

But, that has more to do with the beam pattern and the low beam performance. Ugly worked well in the Stoms case.

They weren't big and ugly for no reason.
__________________
"It's better to ride a boring bike than push an interesting one" ... Canuman

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #14864
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Damascus, MD
Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Well all I can say is that the Strom was amazing after the candles in the SV650 and it was still better than the S10.

But, that has more to do with the beam pattern and the low beam performance. Ugly worked well in the Stoms case.

They weren't big and ugly for no reason.
While the S10 headlights are OK and good by older standards, I agree totally.
We've done the two 'Stroms and both put the S10 to shame with respect to headlights.
And my FJR headlights were definitely superior, especially if the road was not straight.

I think part of the difference in opinion is from where we live. In wide open spaces of Texas, light will get reflected and seem to travel farther. The roads are straighter, too.

Here on the mid-Atlantic coast, roads curve and are generally not as flat, so the beam pattern makes a HUGE difference. A well adjusted headlight makes less impact when the road itself is going up and down in front of you. Plus, we have all sorts of overhanging trees, and leafy roadside greenery that just absorbs light.

Rather than putting money into what I see as a marginal reflector that can not be changed, my answer was extra aftermarket light with the Rigid 90661.

Using other people's pix of the same light:




__________________
Super Tenere & WR250R, AMA, IBA
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #14865
TH
There and Here
 
TH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Northern VA
Oddometer: 912
The discussion on lights is becoming sorta like an oil thread! So like a moth drawn to a flame, I will unwittingly put forth my input.

I find the stock lights on the S10 decent. They work. Can they be improved - Yes but IMO they work well enough for me.

Compared to my former Tiger 1050, they are a total revelation. I was scared to take my Tiger out after dark, they were so bad.
__________________
"doggone and dagnabit! That's what I call a whopping' big rabbit."
Keep the rubber side down
'01 Sprint ST '12 Super Tenere
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014