Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech View Post
Is there a speedohealer for the s ten ? Anyone got a link for it? Thanks
Your google fu is weak.
http://www.amazon.com/XT1200Z-Super-.../dp/B0064OCMDE

A pretty good price. I paid more. I did the install with the gear indicator. Not using the behind the panel wire. You'll see my comments and pics on page 2 of the thread Pluric nicely linked to.
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #14852
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 8,902
Turns out the right bulb was not seated in all the way, will see how the beam projection looks tonight on the way home from work.

twinrider screwed with this post 12-19-2012 at 07:25 PM
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:20 PM   #14853
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
On a related topic, I've been doing searches for HID conversions but other than a few people using DDM kits with mixed results I haven't found much. Is there any high quality HID conversion kit out there made specifically for the S10?
Not really. You can find H7 kits, but nothing I've found has a 90 connector, so you have to cut holes in the dust covers, which does not give me the warm fuzzies.

It appears that the oem projector lenses do well with HID. Wish Yamaha had gone there from the start.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #14854
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post
Not really. You can find H7 kits, but nothing I've found has a 90 connector, so you have to cut holes in the dust covers, which does not give me the warm fuzzies.

It appears that the oem projector lenses do well with HID. Wish Yamaha had gone there from the start.
Yeah the stock lights are pretty crap, especially low beam. OEM HID or LED would have been sweet.

Some folks are reporting good results with DDM but I still can't get my head around how a $30 kit can be any good, and as you said a 90 connector would be nice.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #14855
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Yeah the stock lights are pretty crap, especially low beam. OEM HID or LED would have been sweet.

Some folks are reporting good results with DDM but I still can't get my head around how a $30 kit can be any good, and as you said a 90 connector would be nice.
Honestly, the technology is pretty proven at this point. Don't think you need to spend $200 to get a good kit. An HID capsule is pretty generic now.

Slim ballasts and a solid igniter is what you're paying for now.

And yeah, a 90 connector would be the bomb.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #14856
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,713
Cool2 As compared to what?

Quote:

I always have to shake my head a bit when I see somebody post something about the S-10 supposedly having poor headlamp performance...

Then I have to ask the question - Have you tried adjusting and properly aiming them?

Every S-10 I have seen has had their headlamps improperly aimed and adjusted, as mine was out-of-the-crate. A few minutes - and I do mean a *few*, as in no more than 10 - and suddenly my S-10 headlamps rivaled the very best motorcycle headlamps I have seen come on a production motorcycle. Properly adjusted and aimed you, too, might be amazed at just how good they are, especially on high-beam.

If they have one drawback it's while cornering, but this really isn't as much the headlamp's fault as you might think. It's simply a result of using a projector beam housing on a motorcycle design that requires the headlamps to be up so high.

Honestly, take a few minutes with the manual, learn where your headlamp adjusters are, and then take a few minutes and a couple of nighttime test rides to get your S-10 headlamps adjusted and your opinion of them may change...

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrist's office

~
Dallara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 PM   #14857
twinrider
pass the catnip

The aim is correct and I've done lots of night rides on dark mountain roads. Agree that the high beams aren't too bad but the low beams are pretty sad... Maybe I've been spoiled by the HID and LED headlights on my other bikes.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #14858
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Question And they would be?

Quote:
The aim is correct and I've done lots of night rides on dark mountain roads. Agree that the high beams aren't too bad but the low beams are pretty sad... Maybe I've been spoiled by the HID and LED headlights on my other bikes.

What bikes exactly?

Dallara

~

~
Old 12-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #14859
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
What bikes exactly?

Dallara

~
Jeebus, I've owned about 50 or so but just to name a few... My 1999 VFR800, 2002 FZ1, Burgman 650 and all the others I've owned with twin H4 headlights were good from the start and made better with more powerful Bosch bulbs (before HID conversion kits were popular).

My 1100GS and R1100RT's single H4 headlights were improved by better bulbs (again pre-HID era) but the Piaa 910s I added made all the difference on dark mountain roads.

My TDM900 with H7s sucked but was considerably improved by HID, ditto for my Dakar and Djebel.

My Roadking's LED headlight and LED passing lamps are very good.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #14860
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Cool2 So let's see...

Quote:
Jeebus, I've owned about 50 or so but just to name a few... My 1999 VFR800, 2002 FZ1, Burgman 650 and all the others I've owned with twin H4 headlights were good from the start and made better with more powerful Bosch bulbs (before HID conversion kits were popular).

My 1100GS and R1100RT's single H4 headlights were improved by better bulbs (again pre-HID era) but the Piaa 910s I added made all the difference on dark mountain roads.

My TDM900 with H7s sucked but was considerably improved by HID, ditto for my Dakar and Djebel.

My Roadking's LED headlight and LED passing lamps are very good.

So you're trying to say you've owned 50 bikes that had better headlamps than the S-10?

Oooooooooooo-Kee Do-Key!

But let's just look at the ones you named...

So all the twin-H4-equipped bikes you thought were better - check.

But your BMW's were only better after higher-output bulbs, and then by the addition of PIAA 910's - check.

You TDM, Dakar and Djebel only became better after you modified them - check.

And the HD, which has supplemental lamps - check.

And you are comparing these to *stock* S-10 lamps?

Hmmmmmm... Oh, well. To each his own, but I'm still willing to bet your stock S-10 lamps are improperly aimed and adjusted. Just my opinion, nothing more. I'm legally blind in my left eye, so I am particularly sensitive to headlamp performance, and IMHO once I got my S-10 lamps adjusted correctly I thought they were equal (or in some instances even better) than, say... my FJR with twin headlamps (and even after those were modified), or my old Beemer that had not only its stock lighting but a pair of PIAA supplemental driving lamp *AND* a pair of Hella wider-beam "cornering" lamps, or any of the Gold Wings I owned or rode while I was a Honda dealer for years, etc., etc., etc., etc. for the 40+ years I've been tooling along on these things.

Oddly enough, some of the best headlamp set-ups I've ever ridden with were simple, large, round headlamps like we had on so many bikes in the 1970's and 1980's... Both my 1979 CB750F and my 1981 CB900F come to mind, along with the early CBX's. We often ran these in endurance road races with much heavier gauge wire and ultra-high wattage (130+) bulbs. These were some of the best I've ever used, and superior to the S-10, IMHO.

But again, that's comparing apples to oranges...

Stock for stock the S-10 lamps are very good in my opinion. Perhaps if you modified them, or supplemented them heavily, then they might seem better to you...

Dallara

~

~
Old 12-20-2012, 12:20 AM   #14861
Old Git Ray
Now retired...YeeHaa

Oddometer: 1,274
Quote:

Stock for stock the S-10 lamps are very good in my opinion. Perhaps if you modified them, or supplemented them heavily, then they might seem better to you...

Dallara
~
I have to agree. Mine are very good, but then again I adjust them to suit the weight I carry and am more that happy with them. I would have appreciated a simpler way to do it though.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:54 AM   #14862
twinrider
pass the catnip

Quote:
So you're trying to say you've owned 50 bikes that had better headlamps than the S-10?

Oooooooooooo-Kee Do-Key!

But let's just look at the ones you named...

So all the twin-H4-equipped bikes you thought were better - check.

But your BMW's were only better after higher-output bulbs, and then by the addition of PIAA 910's - check.

You TDM, Dakar and Djebel only became better after you modified them - check.

And the HD, which has supplemental lamps - check.

And you are comparing these to *stock* S-10 lamps?
Looks like you overlooked the part in my earlier post where I wrote "Maybe I've been spoiled by the HID and LED headlights on my other bikes."

Maybe you and Ray ride on well-lit roads, maybe you have eyes like cats or maybe you just don't ride aggressively at night on dark mountain roads like I do, but my opinion is the stock lights are pretty crap and I'm sticking to it...
Old 12-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #14863
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,928
Well all I can say is that the Strom was amazing after the candles in the SV650 and it was still better than the S10.

But, that has more to do with the beam pattern and the low beam performance. Ugly worked well in the Stoms case.

They weren't big and ugly for no reason.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:27 AM   #14864
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamD View Post
Well all I can say is that the Strom was amazing after the candles in the SV650 and it was still better than the S10.

But, that has more to do with the beam pattern and the low beam performance. Ugly worked well in the Stoms case.

They weren't big and ugly for no reason.
While the S10 headlights are OK and good by older standards, I agree totally.
We've done the two 'Stroms and both put the S10 to shame with respect to headlights.
And my FJR headlights were definitely superior, especially if the road was not straight.

I think part of the difference in opinion is from where we live. In wide open spaces of Texas, light will get reflected and seem to travel farther. The roads are straighter, too.

Here on the mid-Atlantic coast, roads curve and are generally not as flat, so the beam pattern makes a HUGE difference. A well adjusted headlight makes less impact when the road itself is going up and down in front of you. Plus, we have all sorts of overhanging trees, and leafy roadside greenery that just absorbs light.

Rather than putting money into what I see as a marginal reflector that can not be changed, my answer was extra aftermarket light with the Rigid 90661.

Using other people's pix of the same light:

Old 12-20-2012, 05:01 AM   #14865
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
The discussion on lights is becoming sorta like an oil thread! So like a moth drawn to a flame, I will unwittingly put forth my input.

I find the stock lights on the S10 decent. They work. Can they be improved - Yes but IMO they work well enough for me.

Compared to my former Tiger 1050, they are a total revelation. I was scared to take my Tiger out after dark, they were so bad.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map
TH is offline   Reply With Quote