ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 06:33 AM   #14866
Anticyclone
Ride more worry less

Oddometer: 5,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by TH View Post
The discussion on lights is becoming sorta like an oil thread! So like a moth drawn to a flame, I will unwittingly put forth my input.

I find the stock lights on the S10 decent. They work. Can they be improved - Yes but IMO they work well enough for me.

Compared to my former Tiger 1050, they are a total revelation. I was scared to take my Tiger out after dark, they were so bad.
I too came off a Tiger 1050. Those lights were downright criminal. I flat out refused to ride the thing at night until I got some auxiliary lighting.

I have since transferred those lights to the Tenere, but I probably rode it for 5000 miles before I got around to it. I like the extra light, but it wasn't a must have.
Anticyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:01 AM   #14867
TH
There and Here

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticyclone View Post
I too came off a Tiger 1050. Those lights were downright criminal. I flat out refused to ride the thing at night until I got some auxiliary lighting.

I have since transferred those lights to the Tenere, but I probably rode it for 5000 miles before I got around to it. I like the extra light, but it wasn't a must have.
Ditto - I did exactly the same thing. I transferred my aux lights to my S10 too.
NOVA Tag-o-Rama Map

TH screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 07:15 AM
TH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #14868
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,533
KLR light sucks too, I run high beam day and night and nobody has ever flashed me for high beams.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 AM   #14869
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,886
Lights!

I found my S10 stock headlites pointed too low. Make the adjustment and notice a big difference. Don't waste your time with the stock adjustment screws. These don't do much. Easiest way to lift the beams is to undo the 2 bolts under the headlite and slip in rubber hose washers. Use as many as required. I fould I only need 1 under each bolt. Now, you got lights and are easily seen and, yes they will flash you on High Beam.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #14870
Dallara
Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer: 1,849
Laugh And maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
Looks like you overlooked the part in my earlier post where I wrote "Maybe I've been spoiled by the HID and LED headlights on my other bikes."

No, I didn't miss it. Not at all.

Just pointing out that a lot of the bikes you say have such great lighting apparently were heavily modified and/or carried expensive supplemental lighting, and that perhaps if you showered your S-10's lights with as much money they might meet your *standards*...

I stand by my opinion that the S-10 has pretty damn good stock lighting - *IF* they are properly adjusted.

Quote:
Maybe you and Ray ride on well-lit roads...

You haven't been to South Texas much, have you?

You've got a better chance of seeing an honest politician in Washington, D.C. than seeing a well lit road down here...

Quote:
..maybe you have eyes like cats...

Guess maybe you missed the part about my being blind in one eye?

Oh, and I have to wear glasses for the other one to get decent vision. Like I said, it's why I'm very sensitive to having good lighting on my bikes, and why I added sometimes banks of supplemental lighting and did heavy lightng mods to some bikes.

As some have mentioned, there are bikes out there that have truly bad, almost criminally poor, lighting... Fortunately the Super Tenere is not one of them.

Quote:
...or maybe you just don't ride aggressively at night on dark mountain roads like I do...

Guess you missed the part about competing in endurance road races in the late '70's and early '80's? Much of the time in those was spent in those running in traffic all night, jockeying for position, making multiple passes, etc., etc., etc.... And all with *NO* track lighting in those days. Oh, and we won a lot...

You tell me which requires you to ride more "aggressively"...

And we have lots and lots of blind corner, up and over rises, heavily brushed and treed in, entirely unlit back roads all over Texas, like in the Texas Hill Country... And we have lots and lots of nighttime critters, too!

Quote:
...but my opinion is the stock lights are pretty crap and I'm sticking to it...

To each his own, but I still think you might want to try and do some experimenting with your adjustment. You might be surprised, and it takes less time than... Well... reading and replying on an internet forum!!!

Dallara

~

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a psychiatrists office. - Unknown

'Cos it's easier to try than to prove it can't be done, and it's easier to stay than to turn around and run. - Justin Hayward
Dallara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #14871
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallara View Post
I stand by my opinion that the S-10 has pretty damn good stock lighting - *IF* they are properly adjusted.
It really depends what you're comparing with. I only once rode behind a Super Tenere Rider in the dark, so my experience is very limited, but my Tiger 800 H4 stock headlights put out quite a bit more usable light.

The projector lenses cost quite a bit of light, a good reflector seems to put out much more light from the standard 55W bulbs. I've seen that with a V-Strom (excellent reflector type lamps), Tiger 800 (same) in comparison to for example the Tiger 1050 headlights which are criminal or said Super Tenere, which was okay, but really not excellent in any way ...

Also I have pretty good experience with the 65W Osram replacement bulbs that I had in my R1200GS. A good amount more light output, and no need for modifications or finding a spot to put a ballast.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #14872
20valves
Yamaholic

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
.....you just don't ride aggressively at night on dark mountain roads like I do...
Always a super awesome idea. The darker and faster and twistier the better. Very manly stuff there.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #14873
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 16,412

You can pry my light bar from my cold dead fingers. I'm not giving it up!

Adjust what you want, change bulbs all day long, I guarantee you'll see these coming at you.
pluric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #14874
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
Originally Posted by pluric View Post

You can pry my light bar from my cold dead fingers. I'm not giving it up!
I'd just prefer a link, bullets are getting expensive.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #14875
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker View Post
Just in time for a Christmas sale:
http://www.stage3motorsports.com/pro...FdKd4AodiRMAVw

or Google:
Rigid light 90661
Old 12-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #14876
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...92384&page=184

Post #2758 on.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #14877
RedRocker
Native Texican

Thanks guys, now I don't have to kill pluric.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #14878
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks guys, now I don't have to kill pluric.
And I don't have to die, win win.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #14879
RedRocker
Native Texican

Quote:
And I don't have to die, win win.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #14880
White Tenere
Look a moose

Oddometer: 721
Quote:

Adjust what you want, change bulbs all day long, I guarantee you'll see these coming at you.
X's 2!!!! Best light I've ever had on a motorcycle..
White Tenere is offline   Reply With Quote