Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
slvrbullet OP
200 years too late

Oddometer: 39
Question streetpilot mount

So I finally was dragged into the 20th century and bought a used streetpilot 2820. I then ordered the Garmin M/C mount kit. I was suprised when I opened the box and it was a lot smaller than I was expecting.

Turns out I think I should have ordered the Ram branded Streetpilot mount. It is bigger and looks much more secure. Like a big "C" channel that the gps snaps into instead of an "L" bracket with a set screw.

That being said, has anyone had problems with the Garmin unit(since I already bought it)? This is for a road warrior only so it the ride should not be too rough.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Jon
slvrbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #2
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,882
I have both, preferred the Garmin mount cause it 'locked', so I could go in to a store to grab a coke and not worry about it growing legs.

Offroaded with it, never came loose either.

Bought a TT locking MVG recently, but then my 2720 died, haven't had a chance to try it. Looks and feels really solid.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
L82Dance
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrbullet
So I finally was dragged into the 20th century and bought a used streetpilot 2820. I then ordered the Garmin M/C mount kit. I was suprised when I opened the box and it was a lot smaller than I was expecting.

Turns out I think I should have ordered the Ram branded Streetpilot mount. It is bigger and looks much more secure. Like a big "C" channel that the gps snaps into instead of an "L" bracket with a set screw.

That being said, has anyone had problems with the Garmin unit(since I already bought it)? This is for a road warrior only so it the ride should not be too rough.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Jon
Hey Jon,
I have a 2720 (same mount I'm pretty sure) on a Suzuki DL1000 VStrom. I bought the Garmin mount hardware from Garmin and attached it to a custom bracket I fabricated from aluminum angle and bar stock. The GPS was rock solid on all paved roads but one day I was off pavement on some rough gravel/dirt. I was standing on the pegs through some rough washboard and the GPS popped out of the mount. I sat down as the GPS popped and caught it between my legs and the seat (pure luck, no skill) and it suffered no damage. After this happened I checked the screw on the mount and it was still tight. I remounted the GPS and it felt solid. I've since put a piece of duct tape along the top of the GPS over the screw on the mount and around back. (I'll try to get a picture and post it later.) I've never had any problems since and I've been on much rougher gravel/dirt than the first mishap. I bought the Garmin mount because I thought it would do better than the RAM mount off-road. The Garmin mount locks the GPS in and also provides a level of security. The RAM mount looked like a clip-in and I was concerned the GPS would pop out in off-road situations. I was surprised to pop the GPS with the Garmin mount but it was just the one time and I haven't had any hint of a pop-out since. I think the Garmin mount would be just fine for the Connie on pavement.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
slvrbullet OP
200 years too late

Oddometer: 39
Thanks for the replies, I am building a mount bracket now. Sounds like the "locking" Garmin mount should work for me.
slvrbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
garmin ram bracket

I have a Garmin C330 streetpilot. I bought a RAM mount for it, thinking it would be better then the Garmin mount, but, the GPS has fallen out several times, and I have to safety it with a couple of rubber bands.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
sonic578
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 727
I have an older 2610, but I think same form factor as other SP's. The Garmin mount part is here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1054

Garmin says:
"Unit bracket does not attach to motorcycle. A third-party mounting kit must be purchased and attached to the unit bracket for mounting on a motorcycle."

Is this a RAM based mount?? Can anyone post pics of how this mounts to handlebars, or pointer to 3rd party mounting kit? Thanks.

BTW, I have a TT MGV mount, but am looking to move the 2610 up behind windscreen on a BMW GSA, and the TT is too big for that location.
Corvette Manuals for sale
sonic578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 45,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic578
I have an older 2610, but I think same form factor as other SP's. The Garmin mount part is here https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1054

Garmin says:
"Unit bracket does not attach to motorcycle. A third-party mounting kit must be purchased and attached to the unit bracket for mounting on a motorcycle."

Is this a RAM based mount?? Can anyone post pics of how this mounts to handlebars, or pointer to 3rd party mounting kit? Thanks.

BTW, I have a TT MGV mount, but am looking to move the 2610 up behind windscreen on a BMW GSA, and the TT is too big for that location.
Get the TT adapter bar, and it'll fit.